Guide | How To How to Speed Up Internet Connection on Your Computer Just a Few Second.

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Lukajlo

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2011
How to Speed Up Internet Connection on Your Computer Just a Few Second.

Just a little trick for those of you who do not know How to Speed Up Internet Connection on Your Computer Just a Few Second.. This applies to all types of connections.

How to speed up your Internet connection is slow:

1. Click right of you mouse on My Computer, then click Properties
2. Select Hardware => click Device Manager
3. Double click PORTS (COM & LPT)
4. Double click Comunications Port
5. Choose Ports Setting
6. Change Bits per second was to be 128 000
7. Change The flow control from None to hardware

Test your browsing. These are just some of the few tricks to speed up internet connection. Many other ways that you can find. may be useful.
:)

Source: Link

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hmm...Wonder if this really works... Usually this type of guides give at best some marginal speed improvements.DId you try this trick?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
How exactly is this supposed to speed up your internet connection?

Neither a dial-up modem, nor a network adapter (Ethernet) uses a COM port. (Although most modem cards can emulate a COM port for legacy applications/hardware)

I guess maybe if you are using a laptop with an older USB dongle type modem, it may institute a virtual COM port, but modern versions have full USB support (IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past) and the modem doesn't rely on the outmoded RS-232 spec.

Most modern machines don't even have physical COM ports. (Since around 2007)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I know the best way to speed up an internet connection. The best way to is to upgrade to a better ISP Provider. As far as I know there is no physical way that you can speed it up unless you buy better internet. You might be able to make that you are the one in your house hold that gets the majority of the internet but apart from that I doubt it works.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
You can increase your performance a little bit with applications such as, TCP Optimizer.

But this program works by tweaking your networking parameters, not an out-dated protocol for interfacing with peripherals.

I'd be a bit surprised if anyone still uses anything that relies on a COM port. (physical or virtual) There's a reason USB and Firewire became popular so quickly. ;)

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
HeffeD said:
How exactly is this supposed to speed up your internet connection?

Neither a dial-up modem, nor a network adapter (Ethernet) uses a COM port. (Although most modem cards can emulate a COM port for legacy applications/hardware)

I guess maybe if you are using a laptop with an older USB dongle type modem, it may institute a virtual COM port, but modern versions have full USB support (IRQ conflicts are a thing of the past) and the modem doesn't rely on the outmoded RS-232 spec.

Most modern machines don't even have physical COM ports. (Since around 2007)

Yea, it won't.

Even using an old USB dongle, you wouldn't visit PORTS > COM in device manager, you would visit the USB Dongle entry in device manager and change the settings in there

COM and LPT are serial and printer ports aren't they ?

I don't even have a PORTS entry in my device manager, they are old school hardware

D

Deleted member 178

The original source , i suppose:

http://newest-download.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-speed-up-internet-connection-on.html

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
The original source , i suppose:

http://newest-download.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-speed-up-internet-connection-on.html
Yes the very same Word for Word, good catch that man :)

D

Deleted member 178

Not the only one he "copied" unless he is the original writer of all of them with many username :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Question is though will it work? Would somebody like to try it?

D

Deleted member 178

I will not do, no details, no explanations, and surely the gain, if any, will be insignificant.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
As what I think, but who knows it might. Anway, nice guide. :)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Like McLovin said only way is to switch ISPs or if your running enterprise equipment you could switch over to open flow. I think the best bet would be to switch over to Jack's ISP isn't he getting something like 75mbps for $20.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
If you are in the UK (Not sure about other phone companies) and you have an old(ish) house/landline, you can take the face off the master socket and remove the ring wire, the ring wire was used to power the old rotary phones bell and is obsolete now and causes loads of interference.

I removed mine when I was on ADSL and I gained about 2Meg speed, my folks did it and gained about 3meg

All you need in the socket is 2 wires, Blue and White and White and Blue (Google for images)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Hmm. I have heard just one trick of speeding the net is to use Qos packet scheduler to reduce windows reserved bandwith. IT gives a marginal speed bost. For downloads I suggest DAP which gives me a 75% boost of speed. I tried Auslogic Bootspeeds net optimizer and it gave a little boost.
Some say cFosspeed is good but havent tried it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Detection said:
COM and LPT are serial and printer ports aren't they ?

Yes.

Any machine built after 2007 most likely does not have either of these ports.

McLovin said:
Question is though will it work? Would somebody like to try it?

I don't believe it would work, no.

If you have any COM ports listed in your device manager, by all means, give it a try. ;)

ranget

Dec 8, 2011
bogus won't work

anyway i think Dialup modem uses Com Ports every PCI card uses a com Port on the Main System :/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
HeffeD said:
I don't believe it would work, no.

If you have any COM ports listed in your device manager, by all means, give it a try. ;)

Checked and don't have any. So I can't be the one to try. Ha

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
ranget said:
anyway i think Dialup modem uses Com Ports every PCI card uses a com Port on the Main System :/

Yes, most modems can emulate a COM port.

I have several PCI cards in my machine, and no COM ports listed in my device manager.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.