Not open for further replies.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hey everyone! So I was wondering if charging your phone every night (doesn't matter how high the % is left.) Is okay for your battery's lifespan. One of my relative's opinion is that he charges his phone every night and doesn't feel any drawbacks. (They have IOS). My other relative says that you should wait till your battery is at least 20%. (We both have Andrioid.) However, I tried doing some research and heard it is bad to power charge your phone from low to full. I also don't think it's entirely good to charge it every single time possible. (I don't use the phone as much on weekdays.) What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

-DJ

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I read some research a while back on this topic and the consensus was that it's best to keep your battery above 50% as much as possible, even if that means charging in short bursts throughout the day. Going from 100% - 0% periodically will shorten the battery's life span over time.

L

Local Host

20% is the sweet spot, the less times you charge the better.

Batteries have limited recharge cycles, and completely discharging lithium-ion batteries too often will have an adverse effect (reason why 20% is the sweet spot).

If you want your battery to last you need to make sure it never completely discharges and avoid charging it to often as well.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I agree with you guys but unfortunately I charge the phone during the night, otherwise it doesn't reach the end of the day and rarely I get the chance to charge it during my working day.
It should be a control that disconnects the power when it reaches 100% but yes it would be better to disconnect the power supply when it is at 80/90%.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
My phones are kept with a range of 40-80% on an average. Although on occasions it does vary between 20-90%. Rarer still is when I charge the battery to 100% when I expect to have no access to chargers or power banks.

The batteries are never fully discharged or recharged to 100% unless they need calibration.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I voted others, i very rarely use my phone so quite often there is no charge in it at all or it is very low (less than 10%) and then i just charge it fully :D not good i guess from what i have read on here. I read something ages ago that said you should let it go down to about 7% before recharging .......... we can't believe everything we read i guess.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I read something ages ago that said you should let it go down to about 7% before recharging ..........
Maybe that's correct, but for another battery type.

Most, if not all, current smartphones have the Lithium-Ion type battery. With Lithium-Ion type battery, it works best with partial discharging/charging. That's why the general recommended battery care for today is the 40-80 rule. :)

But for other battery types, the recommended battery care varies.

The 0%-100% (complete charge/discharge) was the recommended rule in the past for cellphones because the battery used was nickel-based, unlike today's. :)

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Maybe that's correct, but for another battery type.

Most, if not all, current smartphones have the Lithium-Ion type battery. With Lithium-Ion type battery, it works best with partial discharging/charging. That's why the general recommended battery care for today is the 40-80 rule. :)

But for other battery types, the recommended battery care varies.

The 0%-100% (complete charge/discharge) was the recommended rule in the past for cellphones because the battery used was nickel-based, unlike today's. :)

I never do things right, :eek:. It is a lithium ion battery but maybe i read this before i had a smart phone and just stuck with it, i now know better ;) but to be honest, i don't see that it will prolong the battery life much whichever way you do it really, because battery lives in general, suck.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Connect at 40% and disconnect at 80% -- that's what I do too.

Nickel-cadmium batteries had the problem of "memory effect", and for them it was recommended to do full charge cycles whenever possible in order to mitigate that.

However today the lithium-ion batteries are used instead, and they do not suffer from memory effect. What they do have a problem with is stress. Reaching very low or very high charges will stress it; doing a 0-100 charge cycle will stress it; keeping it charging overnight when it'll reach 100% hours before you unplug it will especially stress it as, even though the charger will be cut off after reaching full charge, it will charge again after a while, keeping your battery at or close to 100 for a long time; heat will stress it too.

So, that's why the 40-80 rule works (20-80 should work too). However, you don't need to follow that precisely. One thing you can do is charge in short bursts whenever you have a few minutes and access to a power outlet.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Connect at 40% and disconnect at 80% -- that's what I do too.

Nickel-cadmium batteries had the problem of "memory effect", and for them it was recommended to do full charge cycles whenever possible in order to mitigate that.

However today the lithium-ion batteries are used instead, and they do not suffer from memory effect. What they do have a problem with is stress. Reaching very low or very high charges will stress it; doing a 0-100 charge cycle will stress it; keeping it charging overnight when it'll reach 100% hours before you unplug it will especially stress it as, even though the charger will be cut off after reaching full charge, it will charge again after a while, keeping your battery at or close to 100 for a long time; heat will stress it too.

So, that's why the 40-80 rule works (20-80 should work too). However, you don't need to follow that precisely. One thing you can do is charge in short bursts whenever you have a few minutes and access to a power outlet.

On no, my poor phone ......... i hope i don't receive a bill from his psychiatrist for putting him under so much stress :ROFLMAO: No seriously, thanks for the info @Jaspion

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I voted "other" because during the week I charge my phone when I go to sleep and during the weekend only when it's needed - but still I don't let him discharge completely (~20%).

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I read some research a while back on this topic and the consensus was that it's best to keep your battery above 50% as much as possible, even if that means charging in short bursts throughout the day. Going from 100% - 0% periodically will shorten the battery's life span over time.

I agree this is true :)

And do not let it charge over 80%

God Bless :)

D

Deleted member 178

What reduce battery life isn't much the time you let it plugged or not, modern batteries stop the charge at 100% (some even at 90+%) , but the temperature conditions it is suffering.
cooler the location you store it; longer it will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.