Troubleshoot How to Take Care of Power Banks?

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

I just recently purchased a Romoss 4P Power Bank, 10400 mAh. My question is how do I take care of Power Banks? Is it the same on taking care with a smartphone's battery?

I just use the experts' advice that I use my phone only between 40%-80%. This way, I could extend my smartphone's battery lifespan for up to 2-4 times.

So, should I treat my powerbank like that, charging and using it only between 40%-80%?

Thank you.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If it's a lithium-ion battery continue doing what you do with your phone if you wish. In practice though it's not about charging but heat, so they recommend lower charging range so the phone charges for less time keeping the battery less hot. Regardless of what you do your battery will die eventually but you are the judge if an extra 6 months of life or whatever is worth your effort in maintaining this pattern of charging.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I don't see where I can download the manual but the Blog FAQ says this,
You may have heard that it’s not good to leave a power bank charged in overnight to avoid overcharging it, but it is perfectly safe to do so. In fact, high-quality chargers have built-in safety protections to stop charging when the battery cells reach full capacity.
That tells me you can just leave the power bank plugged in. And that makes sense to me these days. Just about every Li-Ion battery (unless counterfeit! :() and charger has built-in circuitry to prevent over-charging.

Reactions: Weebarra
Upvote 0

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Yes, you are right, and the same applies to smartphone batteries. But if you really want to extend the Shell life of your Powerbank, then maybe charging between 40-80 percent is a good practice

Upvote 0

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Hello.

I just recently purchased a Romoss 4P Power Bank, 10400 mAh. My question is how do I take care of Power Banks? Is it the same on taking care with a smartphone's battery?

I just use the experts' advice that I use my phone only between 40%-80%. This way, I could extend my smartphone's battery lifespan for up to 2-4 times.

So, should I treat my powerbank like that, charging and using it only between 40%-80%?

Thank you.

I have purchased a cheap 20000 mAh Chinese Power Bank a year and a half ago and it is as functional as day one. I simply don't drain its battery to %0 and I do charge it (stages); e.g. from %20 to %55 I mean not full charge at once. I don't rely on it for iPhone full charges.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Dont let any lithium battery fully discharge. Only use the cable provided with the powerbank. If none was provided, make sure to use a good quality charger to charge the powerbank or you gonna kill it soon. Then take care as if it was a phone.

Upvote 0

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Dont let any lithium battery fully discharge. Only use the cable provided with the powerbank. If none was provided, make sure to use a good quality charger to charge the powerbank or you gonna kill it soon. Then take care as if it was a phone.
If I use other cables for charging it, why will its life be shortened?

Thr Powerbank Manual also advised me to only use the cable of the original charger of the phone when I charge the phone using the PowerBank.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As far as I'm concerned I just use it.....and....charge it. NO special care needed.....just like using my handphone.

Just make sure the battery don't flat out before charging

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
It is almost impossible to fully discharge a lithium battery. This is because the connected device will shutdown before that can happen and stop pulling voltage from the battery. Plus, any decent Li-Ion battery protects itself from total discharge as well as overcharging. This is where it is important to make sure you are not buying counterfeit replacement batteries.

As far as discharging, it is important to understand how Li-Ion naturally discharge during normal use. Other batteries, alkaline for example, have a steady downhill discharge rate. But Li-ion batteries output a very steady (flat) voltage, then the voltage drops rapidly like falling off a cliff. At that point, the device typically shuts down.

If I use other cables for charging it, why will its life be shortened?

Thr Powerbank Manual also advised me to only use the cable of the original charger of the phone when I charge the phone using the PowerBank.
This is just shyster... err... lawyer talk. They are afraid you might connect a damaged, poorly made, or a differently wired cable that results in incorrect charging, or worse, a fire resulting in you suing them.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Don't deep discharge often, always leave 10% charge and avoid direct sunlight and excessive heat (if power bank support Quick Charge) to increase longevity of battery cells.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Don't deep discharge often, always leave 10% charge
It is true you don't want to fully discharge a battery but this really is never a problem with any high-tech device. They just don't allow the batteries to discharge completely. They must leave enough charge to allow the device to shutdown "gracefully". The battery and device manufacturers know how best to keep their batteries in good health. Poor battery maintenance and management would just upset users - never good for future business.

Reactions: roger_m
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.