Advice Request How to turning off bitlocker encryption on OS drive only

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Oten

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
HI, my drives encrypted with bitlocker and TPM 2.0 on the motherboard. Just like the title, how do i turn off bitlocker encryption on OS drive only? This is what poped out when i clecked turn off bitlocker (see attachment file). Do i have to decrypt all drives again? Also is the screenshot, the text i highlighted, what is recovery mean? does it mean my drives will corrupt/data loss or?

The os drive is an M2 nvme drive with UEFI, and GPT partition type on all drives, if that's help.

Attachments

• bitlocker.jpg
    bitlocker.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

1- Means you have to decrypt all drives first, then re-encrypt the non-system drives one by one.
2- means if you had drives connected at the time of encryption but not connected when you will decrypt, a recovery will be necessary for those drives, since the decryption key won't works anymore (it is how i understand it, i didn't use bitlocker the way you did).

Oten

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
1- Means you have to decrypt all drives first, then re-encrypt the non-system drives one by one.
2- means if you had drives connected at the time of encryption but not connected when you will decrypt, a recovery will be necessary for those drives, since the decryption key won't works anymore (it is how i understand it, i didn't use bitlocker the way you did).

ah i see, it is clear now. thanks for your answer. Data loss is what concern me.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.