How to use a firewall on public networks?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Let's say I use my PC on risky public networks, and I want my firewall to protect me from intrusions and whatever.
And let's say I have a good, 3rd party firewall for that purpose.
What do I need to do with this firewall? Does it take care of itself, or do I need to configure it in a certain way, or what?

D

Deleted member 178

Let's say I use my PC on risky public networks, and I want my firewall to protect me from intrusions and whatever.
What do I need to do with this firewall? Does it take care of itself, or do I need to configure it in a certain way, or what?
set it to public network and not as home network. After it depends of the FW options itself.

D

Deleted member 178

But Windows firewall will do that, too.
Yes, honestly i didn't find any home user 3rd party FW with enough serious features deserving my attention , ESET had a good one. but i dontlike suites...so im stuck with WinFW and it is good enough for me.
The only FW i deemed fitting my needs is the one in Symantec EP , very well made.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Ususally the third party FW will detect the connection to a new network and will ask you if it is a public one or a home one. Some third party AV's do this automatically as well. I use Comodo FW with Public network profile even when I'm at my home network.

Last edited:

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
On CFW: public network for sure, plus: Tasks, Firewall Tasks, Stealth Port, Block incoming connection
And you will see that the global rules change according to that (beware, if you have put specific rules in global rules, they may be wiped)

But I left the Windows Firewall active when on public network. I'm sure it works, and I'm sure I don't do a wrong config on CFW... (and cruelsister allows that on some of her posts ;))

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
When I had public profile at home, I can't use my printer by wifi, public profile for risky places, that's all for me (I have Emsisoft and it decide for me also)

Reactions: shmu26

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a good idea to use a VPN to encrypt your data, as suggested by @carsten ibsen.
Make sure the Firewall is turned on.

Reactions: shmu26

Just set Windows Firewall to use Public Profile. You can even block incoming connections for trusted applications - it is a separate tick box. Windows Firewall does just a good of a job of stealthing the system as 3rd-party firewalls.

Most 3rd-party firewalls will query the user to set the profile, while some will just use the profile that Windows is currently set to.

Why not use a good VPN including NAT-firewall:)

This is a waste of resources and\or money unless you are constantly doing financial transactions. Unless you are a stock broker or managing mutual funds from downtown Beverly Hills Starbucks unsecured Wifi, it really isn't necessary. If you are a dissident in an oppressive country or need a specially configured VPN to get past national firewalls, then an all-the-time VPN makes sense.

A lot of users on the security forums think they need a VPN, but in reality they do not. I think for them it is a peace-of-mind thing more than anything else. There are cases where a VPN is needed - but it varies with the needs of the user.

When I go on the road and have to use unsecured Wifi, I install a 3rd-party firewall and IVPN. As soon as I get back to homebase behind the NAT router, I remove them. I only pay for IVPN when I actually need it; on-demand purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I had public profile at home, I can't use my printer by wifi, public profile for risky places, that's all for me (I have Emsisoft and it decide for me also)

You can set Public profile, and still enable Network Discovery and File Sharing. You can enable those on-demand as you need to use printers, file sharing, and then disable immediately after you are done.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

As we are on firewall topic does anyone know why Windows firewall keeps re-enabling itself after i have disabled it due to installing comodo?

It is probably a Windows Security Center bug or it could be a race condition. It's annoying, but nothing to get worked-up about this issue is long-standing.

Reactions: Andytay70

For protection against hackers trying to breach your system, you do not need a 3rd-party firewall if the system is always at-home behind a NAT router. It is assumed that your router is properly configured. In fact, unless you configure port-forwarding from your NAT router to your system, a software firewall is adding nothing to protection against hackers and network attacks.

If you want to monitor outbound connections, then all you need is Windows Firewall and add Windows Firewall Control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 178

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I go on the road and have to use unsecured Wifi, I install a 3rd-party firewall and IVPN.
How does the 3rd party firewall help you in those situations?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.