Advice Request How to watch YouTube without being tracked by Google?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

YouTube is owned by Google.

Whether you sign-in to YouTube or not watching videos will be tracked by Google.

So, anyone knows how to watch YouTube anonymously without being tracked by Google?

Too bad Vimeo and Metacafe don't have so many videos....

Thanks

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
best thing you can do is not sign in to youtube, use a VPN and just rip the videos out of youtube and download them to watch offline on your computer?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
best thing you can do is not sign in to youtube, use a VPN and just rip the videos out of youtube and download them to watch offline on your computer?
Sure you can do it but it's a hassle if you want to watch many movies on a particular topic. VPN is good for hiding your IP address only.

Like I said sign-in or not to YouTube Google will track you.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ready to lose 5 minutes
  1. Enable Do Not Track even if it doesn't do much
  2. Use Anti-Trackers like Ghostery or Abine Blur
  3. Do not sign into your Google or YouTube accounts
  4. Preferably use another Browser with no History, and do not use Google Chrome (duh!)
  5. Always Clear or Pause Watch and Search History (History - YouTube)
  6. Turn off Ad Personalisation (https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated)
  7. Opt-out from Interest-based Ads (http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/)
  8. Install (Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google)) for Chromium/based
You could try sites like (ViewPure / videos without clutter).

Remember without putting in the effort, you'll get nowhere, so stop being lazy and download the videos, if legal to do so. :)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Well, you are worried about YouTube, but what about the rest (maybe I've forgotten something else).

-Google search engine;
-Youtube;
-Gmail;
-Google+;
-Google Hangouts;
-Google Earth
-Google Maps;
-Google Calendar;
-Google Drive;
-Picasa;
-Google Android (all versions distributed with the most well-known devices, Nexus included);
-Google DNS;
-Google AdSense;
-Google AdWords;
-Google Analytics;
-Google Font;
-Google App Engine...

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Sure you can do it but it's a hassle if you want to watch many movies on a particular topic. VPN is good for hiding your IP address only.

If you used a VPN they can only fingerprint your browser, but not know your true identity. On top of that after you have hidden your IP they will not be able to track you if you change your server everyday.

But obviously if you are using their service they will find a way to track you however big or small, if you don't want to be tracked simple don't use the service. If you want to use the service then you shouldn't mind being tracked. Nothing in the world is free, they have to earn money someway and this is a way where you don't have to pay and they don't lose out.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ready to lose 5 minutes
  1. Enable Do Not Track even if it doesn't do much
  2. Use Anti-Trackers like Ghostery or Abine Blur
  3. Do not sign into your Google or YouTube accounts
  4. Preferably use another Browser with no History, and do not use Google Chrome (duh!)
  5. Always Clear or Pause Watch and Search History (History - YouTube)
  6. Turn off Ad Personalisation (https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated)
  7. Opt-out from Interest-based Ads (http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/)
  8. Install (Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google)) for Chromium/based
You could try sites like (ViewPure / videos without clutter).

Remember without putting in the effort, you'll get nowhere, so stop being lazy and download the videos, if legal to do so. :)
  1. Enable Do Not Track even if it doesn't do much - Already enabled in my browser
  2. Use Anti-Trackers like Ghostery or Abine Blur - Using uBlock Origin, Avira Browser Safety and BitDefender TrafficLight
  3. Do not sign into your Google or YouTube accounts - Not signing in
  4. Preferably use another Browser with no History, and do not use Google Chrome (duh!) - Using Chromium with StartPage and running in Incognito mode ALWAYS
  5. Always Clear or Pause Watch and Search History (History - YouTube) - Not signing in so no history
  6. Turn off Ad Personalisation (https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated) - Not using Gmail
  7. Opt-out from Interest-based Ads (http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/) - Website blocked by uBlock Origin
  8. Install (Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google)) for Chromium/based - Handled by uBlock Origin, Avira Browser Safety and BitDefender TrafficLight

9. As for that ViewPure Google Analytics has been detected and blocked. I copied and pasted a kitten video from YouTube, purified it but no video. Not sure blocked trackers play a part

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Well, you are worried about YouTube, but what about the rest (maybe I've forgotten something else).

-Google search engine;
-Youtube;
-Gmail;
-Google+;
-Google Hangouts;
-Google Earth
-Google Maps;
-Google Calendar;
-Google Drive;
-Picasa;
-Google Android (all versions distributed with the most well-known devices, Nexus included);
-Google DNS;
-Google AdSense;
-Google AdWords;
-Google Analytics;
-Google Font;
-Google App Engine...
I'm NOT using Gmail/Maps/Chrome/Search Engine/Drive/DNS/Translator/Earth etc etc because I'm moving away from it. I just emptied my mails and left the account there, similar to my Yahoo.

Except for this YouTube thing which I find it better than Vimeo and MetaCafe

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm NOT using Gmail/Maps/Chrome/Search Engine/Drive/DNS/Translator/Earth etc etc because I'm moving away from it. I just emptied my mails and left the account there, similar to my Yahoo.

Except for this Youtube thing which I find it better than Vimeo and MetaCafe
Sure, you made your choice, but the meaning of my post was in a general context where we are constantly tracked, Google, Yahoo, MS, etc.
This is the price we have to pay.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sure, you made your choice, but the meaning of my post was in a general context where we are constantly tracked, Google, Yahoo, MS, etc.
This is the price we have to pay.
If I sign-in to Google or Youtube I'll be tracked

If I don't sign in to YouTube there'll be no history of videos watched but I'll still be tracked by Google maybe from the browser side. So if I block e.g Google analytics, ajax.googleapis.com etc would that be sufficient to prevent me from being tracked unless I blocked the fingerprints with my ScriptSafe as well?

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
If I sign-in to Google or Youtube I'll be tracked

If I don't sign in to YouTube there'll be no history of videos watched but I'll still be tracked by Google maybe from the browser side. So if I block e.g Google analytics, ajax.googleapis.com etc would that be sufficient to prevent me from being tracked unless I blocked the fingerprints with my ScriptSafe as well?
No idea, but I think Google will track you in official and unofficial way because this is its nature.

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No idea, but I think Google will track you in official and unofficial way because this is its nature.
BTW, I just noticed my uBlock Origin, SafeScript and Avira Browser Safety are blocking google analytics and ajax.googleapis.com from this MT forum site. Is Google tracking me here?

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
just my grain of salt: Avira Browser Safety (and BD TL) knows every sites you visit. ;)
The same, with Chromium, if you have enabled Google Safe Browsing, Google knows...

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hello,
just my grain of salt: Avira Browser Safety (and BD TL) knows every sites you visit. ;)
The same, with Chromium, if you have enabled Google Safe Browsing, Google knows...
Google Safe Browsing disabled

Not so sure of Avira and BD. Even if they do so they don't cause damage as compared to Google with its interconnected devices and services

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Posted wrong link for 6. Use this (Ads Settings) - It's not for Gmail, fyi.

You have to Opt-out which will set the Cookie, I think that is how it works.
http://optout.networkadvertising.org

Don't forget your tinfoil hat, to stop Google hacking your brainwaves. :)
My uBlock Origin blocks and shows

googleads.g.doubleclick.net is blocked

and

optout.networkadvertising.org is blocked

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
You could always use Tor or I2P to browse Youtube. I haven't used either for a good number of years so I can't tell you if Youtube will work on either service nowadays. Still might be worth a shot.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Yes I've read this blog about avira BS too. I don't know what kind of suspicious request he was looking for with fiddler, but, to do its job, Avira need to know the domain you are requesting. To display the shield on your search engine (not startpage) it needs to know your search results... and they know your ip, so...

But I agree: it's not a big deal. They don't know our email, my ip is changing every week... no problem, it was just a grain of salt. :)
The same for Google Safe Browsing.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.