How would somebody repair Windows 8/8.1?

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Hi, i would like to know how to repair windows 8/8.1, had a few crashes with hardware and software. That was a long time ago, however I want to know how to repair Windows 8 by myself. I'm not talking about the hardware part, just the software. For example I got attacked by a malware,trojan or rootkit. I want to know how to recover from that if I couldn't get into safe mode. Since the f8 key doesn't work anymore. Thanks

p.s I'm talking about like a worse case problem such as system restore not working or like what happened to my windows 7, shutting down on start-up. I'll ask that question some other time thanks.

- Flames

D

Deleted member 178

Refresh = reinstall the OS and keep your files, a bit longer than Reset
Reset= a classic format & install

those two are built in features

Last edited by a moderator:

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
you can do either refresh or reset....
refresh will reinstall the OS but files won't be removed....list of all removed programs will be provided in notepad/html file in desktop after refresh
while reset is basically like doing format....all files will be removed when you perform OS reset

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Some good options have been touched upon here which are essentially how my computer recovered.:) Our Windows system crashed twice. Both occurred shortly after updating from Windows 8 to 8.1, and performing Windows updates which I also blame.:( Each time a window announced "A disk kernel error has occurred".:confused: Does this sound familiar? Shortly before it completely died, I was stranded in :eek:blue screen limbo just before the touch screen became unresponsive, froze, & went blank! You are not alone, so do not be discouraged.:cool: Help is all around us with answers to the questions which only need to be asked!;)

Last edited:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i would think a restore with a imaging software like AX64 Time Machine or Macrium Reflect,
Acronis,Paragon,EaseUS Todo Backup or imaging software of your choice could be a better way
to go than a refresh or restore

a good backup plan is a good thing and can save time

:)

James

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Macrium Reflect is quite good and has a free version with basic funtionality (which for image creation/restore is more than adequate). One other product that should be considered is Symantec System Recovery, which is the reincarnated version of Ghost.

D

Deleted member 178

Windows Backup for Win8 is quite good (at the moment) , but i am not yet used the restore function.

Reactions: MrXidus

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Windows Backup for Win8 is quite good (at the moment) , but i am not yet used the restore function.

Create a System Image to an external hard drive than in a time of need to restore - boot into Advanced Mode that gives you the System Image restore option.

Reactions: Ink

Kevins

Verified
Mar 27, 2013
you should check out Rollback Rx it supports windows 8 and 8.1 as well as GPT partition and UEFI bios. It doesnt matter what software issue you have, like a rootkit is no problem for rollback rx, simply roll your PC back to a earlier snapshot and be back up and running in seconds including your data. The trick with Rollback Rx seems to be that it turns on when you turn the computer on so its not like your typical windows system restore it actually seems to be effective I have been using it for last 4 years. Here is the direct link to the Rollback Rx page: http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=1

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Very simple just get linux, or just go back to windows 7 ultimate.
Thats the perfect way to repair windows 8.1 :rolleyes:

Sorry i cannot help it, but even tho windows 8 does have some nice features, i just cannot support it and neither will i ever install it.
I just do not like it for so many reasons.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi, i would like to know how to repair windows 8/8.1, had a few crashes with hardware and software. That was a long time ago, however I want to know how to repair Windows 8 by myself. I'm not talking about the hardware part, just the software. For example I got attacked by a malware,trojan or rootkit. I want to know how to recover from that if I couldn't get into safe mode. Since the f8 key doesn't work anymore. Thanks

p.s I'm talking about like a worse case problem such as system restore not working or like what happened to my windows 7, shutting down on start-up. I'll ask that question some other time thanks.

- Flames
Give me a specific problem/scenario and I will give you the answer... :)

Reactions: Nico@FMA

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Actually I just want to downgrade to windows 7 now but for some reason I can't go to the UEIFI Settings. All it does is either crash the computer or boot to the desktop. (Modern UI crap thing) Any help?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Actually I just want to downgrade to windows 7 now but for some reason I can't go to the UEIFI Settings. All it does is either crash the computer or boot to the desktop. (Modern UI crap thing) Any help?
Did you try :

Press Windows +R button
Type powershell.exe (or navigate to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
Run as Administrator
When Powershell opens type confirm-SecureBootUEFI

If TRUE, your uEFI BIOS is set to Secure Boot, - Reset BIOS to default, and reboot to BIOS make sure Secure Boot is disabled.
NOTE: Check your manufacturer's uEFI/BIOS firmware manual for settings.
Read carefully everything you find about your firmware, if you screw up this then... ^^

If FALSE, your uEFI BIOS is not set to Secure Boot, no need to reset UEFI BIOS.
Check This

and this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-uefi

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Did you try :

Press Windows +R button
Type powershell.exe (or navigate to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
Run as Administrator
When Powershell opens type confirm-SecureBootUEFI

If TRUE, your uEFI BIOS is set to Secure Boot, - Reset BIOS to default, and reboot to BIOS make sure Secure Boot is disabled.
NOTE: Check your manufacturer's uEFI/BIOS firmware manual for settings.
Read carefully everything you find about your firmware, if you screw up this then... ^^

If FALSE, your uEFI BIOS is not set to Secure Boot, no need to reset UEFI BIOS.
Check This

and this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-uefi

Well it said it was "TRUE" I just tried to go to UEIFI last night but it booted up onekey recovery and crashed so i had to start fresh. I have my files backed up so no worries, so what do i do to get to the BIOS. since UEIFI dosen't want to work. Any help? Thanks. - Sk3ll

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well it said it was "TRUE" I just tried to go to UEIFI last night but it booted up onekey recovery and crashed so i had to start fresh. I have my files backed up so no worries, so what do i do to get to the BIOS. since UEIFI dosen't want to work. Any help? Thanks. - Sk3ll
What is your machine (laptop/computer/model...) ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.