Advice Request How would you rate Grammarly for non-native English Language writers/speakers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Its free version is too limited. Its only feature is: "150 critical grammar and spelling checks".

I haven't tried the program. If I would use it, might as well get the premium for more benefits. :)
Their price is stupid if you ask me. More than Netflix? Seriously? For a system that auto checks grammar that probably cost them $100 to host. Seriously? It seems like a useful tool but I am never paying them so much for what they offer. I could hire someone to fix my mistakes for what they ask for.
Sure they have live support which you can call and ask things but how many will use that. Their model structure seems beyond weird to my untrained eye.

Ad: Looking for male or female 18+ with excellent grammar to start a business fixing mistakes. I plan to undercut Grammarly and force them out of business leaving all the $ to us. Salary depending on skills and level of Pokemon characters.:cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I think I'll continue to use browser integrated spell check. It's better for me because I don't have to install extension and it's simple to use (all I need to do is right click on underlined word and select correct word). I know it's not perfect but it still does decent job. Besides that, I don't need spell check that often. Even though I'm not native English speaker, I can spell most of the words correctly. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know for Grammarly and I'm actually using it right now to write this post. Looks great so far.
well, I have news for you. What you wrote doesn't look so great to me. I am a native speaker of American English, and actually, a professional writer/editor/translator.
you have a glaring mistake there: "know for Grammarly" is just plain wrong.
It should say "know of", or "know about"

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Their price is stupid if you ask me. More than Netflix? Seriously? For a system that auto checks grammar that probably cost them $100 to host. Seriously? It seems like a useful tool but I am never paying them so much for what they offer.
And whenever you find such a company that boasts of product with costly labels, you know that they have a different or narrow market focus in their B-plan:)
There are millions of freelance writers, owners or self-maintaining bloggers in regular pursuit of earning good dollars each month online. For them, this should be mostly affordable. When some tool can ease or give a boost to such professionals' daily critical job, many of them won't think 10 times about the price tag before buying. However, tons of normal users like us could have afforded it if it wasn't such a dear price, like other s/w out there.
This seems stupid in that sense as well!

I think I'll continue to use browser integrated spell check. It's better for me because I don't have to install extension and it's simple to use (all I need to do is right click on underlined word and select correct word). I know it's not perfect but it still does decent job. Besides that, I don't need spell check that often. Even though I'm not native English speaker, I can spell most of the words correctly. :D
Hey Marco, spell check's good, but you know that Grammarly is quite more than focusing on individual words' spellings. It detects some level of improper word combinations, simple grammatical miskates too in the free version. That can definitely prove to be better for ya.

well, I have news for you. What you wrote doesn't look so great to me. I am a native speaker of American English, and actually, a professional writer/editor/translator.
And that is an advanced grammatical mistake I guess and that gets resolved when you use their what they call intelligent mistakes corrector.
Oh wait, I just checked it out it. It didn't detect " didn't know for Grammarly" as an advanced mistake too! (even in free version, it shows the count of advanced mistakes).
Well, well..

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I have news for you as well. Every sentence should start with capital letter. Isn't it? :cool:

I'm not native English speaker so I don't expect to be 100% correct in grammar. English is very complex language (ours is too) and it's almost impossible for someone, whose mother language isn't English, to write everything 100% correct (unless you're professional). ;)

The best thing is that by using forums like this, people can improve language skills.

Btw thanks for correcting me. :)

@Parsh It's Marko, with K but you can call me Marco as well because Marko, Marco, Mark and Marc are same names in different languages and countries. :D

Really? I thought that it only corrects spelling in free version. If that's true I guess I could countinue using it. ;)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
And whenever you find such a company that boasts of product with costly labels, you know that they have a different or narrow market focus in their B-plan:)
There are millions of freelance writers, owners or self-maintaining bloggers in regular pursuit of earning good dollars each month online. For them, this should be mostly affordable. When some tool can ease or give a boost to such professionals' daily critical job, many of them won't think 10 times about the price tag before buying. However, tons of normal users like us could have afforded it if it wasn't such a dear price, like other s/w out there.
This seems stupid in that sense as well!

Hey Marco, spell check's good, but you know that Grammarly is quite more than focusing on individual words' spellings. It detects some level of improper word combinations, simple grammatical miskates too in the free version. That can definitely prove to be better for ya.

And that is an advanced grammatical mistake I guess and that gets resolved when you use their what they call intelligent mistakes corrector.
Oh wait, I just checked it out it. It didn't detect " didn't know for Grammarly" as an advanced mistake too! (even in free version, it shows the count of advanced mistakes).
Well, well..
grammar is too complex. Their computer has to understand what you are saying, in order to give you the correct grammar for it, and it can't. Just look at the ridiculous mistakes that google translate makes, when it tries to translate a whole text, and you will see what I mean. Ai is not developed enough yet to understand a human being. When it is, translators like me will be out of work...

Reactions: Parsh

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have news for you as well. Every sentence should start with capital letter. Isn't it? :cool:

I'm not native English speaker so I don't expect to be 100% correct in grammar. English is very complex language (ours is too) and it's almost impossible for someone, whose mother language isn't English, to write everything 100% correct (unless you're professional). ;)

The best thing is that by using forums like this, people can improve language skills.

Btw thanks for correcting me. :)

@Parsh It's Marko, with K but you can call me Marco as well because Marko, Marco, Mark and Marc are same names in different languages and countries. :D

Really? I thought that it only corrects spelling in free version. If that's true I can countinue using it. ;)
you are right about the capital letter at the beginning of every sentence. but in informal writing, like on a forum, it is forgivable. When you give in your doctoral thesis, make sure to capitalize.

By the way, I wasn't trolling you for your grammar, far be it from me! I understood your intent immediately. I was just trying to demonstrate the imperfections of Grammarly.

Reactions: Parsh and Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
By the way, I wasn't trolling you for your grammar, far be it from me! I understood your intent immediately. I was just trying to demonstrate the imperfections of Grammarly.
Oh, ok then. :)

Reactions: shmu26

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Really? I thought that it only corrects spelling in free version. If that's true I guess I could countinue using it. ;)
Oh, apologies. But they sound the same ;)
Yeah, a good extension to check in near-realtime when writing in browser.

grammar is too complex. Their computer has to understand what you are saying, in order to give you the correct grammar for it, and it can't. Just look at the ridiculous mistakes that google translate makes, when it tries to translate a whole text, and you will see what I mean. Ai is not developed enough yet to understand a human being. When it is, translators like me will be out of work...
It definitely is!
Translations between languages is a whole next level AI thing. Not exactly AI though. You won't find exact mappings between languages and Training for AI/ML can be a tedious task in its own. And then there are other anomalies, drawbacks or issues that are common to most Machine learning models used today.
For grammarly and its advanced grammar analysis, it should be a COMPARATIVELY easier job than translation, though for corporate level precision, they would need the best of efforts and innovation, again adding some new issues.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
For me language is a medium of communication not the tool to impress other,so as long as I am able to communicate to others I do not care about grammar

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.