1. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Many people doesn't how webroot SA protect a computer, many users think that the detection rate is the most important factor when choosing a security solution

WSA's detection rate is one of the lowest one, if we believe some so-called "trustfull and independant" tests labs (personally i dont trust any of them but my own experience).

After many request from our beloved members asking me how it protects and why i keep using it despite its low test-lab's results; i ask Webroot some explanation about WSA functionalities

there my questions on Webroot beta tester channel :

then there is the answer from Webroot

i hope it can help people who want to try WSA

2. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    in latest version, WSA Identity Shield is now compatible with Sandboxie; so your browsing is now isolated and secured.

Sandboxie by default can't block keyloggers, so now with WSA ,it will add to sandboxie an increased security.

3. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    New Post about why there is no need to set up exclusions from other security softs in Webroot SA :

good to know, it will save me lot of time ^^

i suppose that is the reason why we can't exclude folders in WSA.

arsh and yigido like this.
  4. bitbizket

bitbizket New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Quoting a source regarding WSA's HIPS like protection,

Kit wrote:

5. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
  6. bob974

bob974 Level 4

Feb 5, 2013
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    i'm trying webroot SA and I find it very special.
    I had some doubts about his capacity of protecting a computer.

One day after, it founds a malware that was'nt detected by avast IS and Emsisoft AM.
    Now I understand why it falls on AV-test and comparative-test. This software takes time to analyze, it has a different comportment...
    The tests of this laboratories are not adapted to him...And now I understand umbra corp's comments

My protection:

Avast IS 8 + emsisoft AM + webroot SA

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware+ Superantispyware+oibit AM on demand...

7. Nedim

Nedim Level 11

Mar 17, 2013
    Bosnia And Herzegovina
    Good read that....thanks

8. kelton

kelton New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Are you using three realtime engines (or four if you count EAM as two)?

9. bob974

bob974 Level 4

Feb 5, 2013
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    no, avast is in realtime, emsisoft is in scheduler scan (guardian is desactived)and Webroot is in realtime.

webroot is a good companion and his scan is permanent

Now I've put in sandbox of sandboxie a 134 malware pack.
    I don't execute scan on demand, I'm just waiting...
    Webroot found 42 on permanent scan, I wait the reaction of emsisoft and avast (scheduled scan)...By now no detection....
    I want to test my protection on real conditions when malwares are always on my computer.

10. iPanik

iPanik New Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Where the buses don't run
    Does that mean that WSA will only interfere after malware has done its dirty deed?

My main issue with WSA is the lack of exclusions. I have a folder where all of my own code lives. I do not want any AV near that place, whatever goes on in that folder leave it alone.
    I also like to put games and other stuff on exclusion lists. The risk of shady stuff going on in the Spotify cache for example is remote at best, so scanning or monitoring that stuff is a waste of resources.

11. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61
    Trusted

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
    Why Traditional Antivirus is failing -- Webroot Webinar

Here's 3 Great Video's with Webroot CEO, Dick Williams and Michael Malloy, Executive VP of Product and Strategy of Webroot Inc.

[​IMG]

venustus likes this.
  12. Tinm

Tinm Level 2

Oct 23, 2013
    Who can you believe, WSA guys or other AV guys, every one tells his product best.

Purshu_Pro likes this.
  13. Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro Level 29
    Trusted

Aug 3, 2013
    EMSISOFT Re-Seller
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Ya every one says the same thing, but its up to u to choose the right one! Yeah u & ur PC requirements are primary, next comes with what kind u r comfortable, like price, size, what u use and other stuffs.

14. Dubseven

Dubseven New Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Tiranium is best!!! lol ^^
    Yea you are right, we can't trust on any company, just try yourself all and choose one/two x)

Koroke San and Cats-4_Owners-2 like this.
  15. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    :p:p;):D:D:D

venustus likes this.
  16. Koroke San

Koroke San Level 28

Jan 22, 2014
    Now i have a question . Can WSA rollback a cryptolocker ransomeware changes? :D

17. RuJN

RuJN New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Twister also has good proactive detection like Webroot, but the malicious behavior of an unknown program is detected much faster by Twister than Webroot and it's actions are also rolled back. Twister's proactive security is also good offline but Webroot's is not I suppose.

Cats-4_Owners-2 likes this.
  18. Wax

Wax New Member

May 28, 2014
    I was just wondering what happens if some malware that Webroot doesn't recognize is deleted by a secondary scanner. Let's say for example you run some variant of cryptolocker. Webroot doesn't recognize it but monitors and logs all changes it's making to other files. You later run Hitman Pro which deletes the offending process and file. Now what happens to the rollback function of Webroot? Can it still rollback the changes to the files or are they now permanently encrypted?

19. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    never tried, but i heard that WSA has a space limit of monitored files, but not sure about it.

20. Wax

Wax New Member

May 28, 2014
    Thanks for replying. I read about the space limit of monitored files, but I was wondering what happens if the malware is detected and deleted by another scanner. Does that mean that Webroot no longer has a file to monitor and all logging is discarded? If so, maybe it's a bad idea to have a secondary scanner when you're using Webroot.