Privacy News How your Computer Monitor Could be Hacked To Spy On You.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Just stop believing everything you see on your screen, as it turns out that even your computer monitor can be hacked.

You have seen hackers targeting your computer, smartphone, and tablet, but now, it has been proved that they can even compromise your monitor and turn them against by just changing the pixels displayed on the screen.

Although changing pixels is really hard and complicated, a team of security researchers at this year’s DEF CON says that it is not impossible.

Ang Cui and Jatin Kataria of Red Balloon Security has demonstrated a way to hack directly into the computer that controls monitor to see the pixels displayed on the monitor as well as manipulate the pixels in order to display different images.

How to Hack Computer Monitors?

According to the researchers, an attacker first needs to gain physical access to the monitor's USB or HDMI port which would then help the attacker access the firmware of the display.

Full Article. How Your Computer Monitor Could Be Hacked To Spy On You

L

Lucent Warrior

Just stop believing everything you see on your screen
Good advice on any occasion! ;)

How to Hack Computer Monitors?

According to the researchers, an attacker first needs to gain physical access to the monitor's USB or HDMI port which would then help the attacker access the firmware of the display.

The attacker would have to worry more about me and my 120 pound home security system, then what every security i had on my computer if they were to try this. ;)

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great share @frogboy :)..
Perhaps the pixels of the monitors used by my bank could be changed to add another 0 to my account balance...
...although the difference between £1.00 & £10.00 would not be worth the hassle..
I would have thought that the Injection of "subliminal messages" would be more profitable than "pixel changing"...
Mind is easier to manipulate than Machine,..
..which is making me wonder why websites do not play low volume music with infused brain-wave frequencies that may increase the likelihood of the visitor to the page making a purchase,or leaving the web-page with a subconscious feeling of satisfaction that makes them want to return to it.
Distorting whats on peoples screens Vs Distorting whats in peoples dreams..(I think there is more money in the latter)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.