How's Microsoft Edge working for you? Any ideas how to block ads?

Are you using Microsoft Edge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
So I'm loving Microsoft Edge. I think it's fast and light at the same time, but I'm hating all the ads extending a webpage load time.

So how are you guys liking Microsoft Edge so far? Are you guys annoyed by the ads? Do you guys have any ideas about blocking ads in general? I know you can block ads by modifying the host file but isn't that gonna take forever????.... Any ideas???? Anyone?????

Good comments will be appreciated! Please join me in this conversation!

Thank you all! :)

Mustolaf

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2015
Unless they add plugins support or something to block ads in the next update, I'll be switching to Chrome till they fix that issue. But so far it's going very smooth for me and fast, it's just very annoying with ads on YouTube.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I've heard that AdGuard blocks ads in every browser by default (or you can adjust it to do so).....

The browser is going in the right direction, but it needs a bit more work for it to become my default browser of choice.

Last edited:

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I've heard that AdGuard blocks ads in every browser by default (or you can adjust it to do so).....

The browser is going in the right direction, but it needs a bit more work for it to become my default browser of choice.
So I've heard about adguard too but too bad I don't have it even though I'm using their chrome and Firefox extension. Might consider buying the lifetime edition though!

Mustolaf

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2015

I use AdGuard, but the extension :D

Reactions: randj89

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I use AdGuard, but the extension :D
I get you! I'm just afraid I will have so many programs running on the background that will slow my pc down! You know the list.... Antivirus, anti this, anti that, firewall, and so on..... At the end we will end with a leg-less turtle trying to jump because it can't walk forward.

Mustolaf

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2015
This method for me worked as it blocked most ads on websites and videos like the ones in YouTube.

1.)Open "Notepad" as "Administrator"
2.)In Notepad, go to File>Open and navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc". Locate and open the "host" file with notepad.
3.)Copy and paste the "Ad List" to the bottom of the host file after the last #. Save it and reboot.

EZPZ

Ml8ColV.png

wZVI2mt.png

-This method is a temporary fix for ads on Edge, I would recommend removing the modification to the "HOST" file, after Microsoft implements some type of way to block ads.
-Other methods are available, using Other browsers w/ plugins like AdGuard, AB, ABP. uBlock, etc. Also a desktop application like AdGuard (not free) would also work

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Aside from Mustolaf, who was faster than me, you could use Peerblock (not sure if fully working on W10). I used on another system Peerblock mainly.

Peerblock worked fine on TP of W10.

Edit: use the Ads list in Peerblock for your needs.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@randj89 If you are going to use @Mustolaf method then there is one downside but I will show you workaround.

The modified HOSTS file causes delays in the loading of websites. Web pages can open slower than usual. This happens because with a large hosts file, the client-side Windows DNS cache becomes less responsive. Here is workaround/tweak:
  1. Open Registry Editor.
  2. Navigate to the following Registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DnsCache\Parameters
  3. Create a new DWORD value MaxCacheTtl and set the value to 1. This value indicates the TTL for positive DNS query responses. By lowering it to 1, it effectively disables the client-side DNS cache.
  4. Create a new DWORD MaxNegativeCacheTtl and set the value to 0. This is the TTL value for negative responses. By setting it to 0, negative responses won't be cached either.
  5. Restart your PC.
I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I am eagerly waiting only and only 2 extensions for Edge : an Ad-blocker and LastPass. ;)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have the full version of Adguard, works well with Edge, another thing is just click reading mode as soon as you open a page and all you will see is the pictures and text of the actual webpage, I really like reading mode as it clears everything other than the what you went to look at in the first place but I won't make it my default until it supports extensions such as my Sticky Password and security related ones.

Mustolaf

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2015
@randj89 If you are going to use @Mustolaf method then there is one downside but I will show you workaround.

The modified HOSTS file causes delays in the loading of websites. Web pages can open slower than usual. This happens because with a large hosts file, the client-side Windows DNS cache becomes less responsive. Here is workaround/tweak:
  1. Open Registry Editor.
  2. Navigate to the following Registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DnsCache\Parameters
  3. Create a new DWORD value MaxCacheTtl and set the value to 1. This value indicates the TTL for positive DNS query responses. By lowering it to 1, it effectively disables the client-side DNS cache.
  4. Create a new DWORD MaxNegativeCacheTtl and set the value to 0. This is the TTL value for negative responses. By setting it to 0, negative responses won't be cached either.
  5. Restart your PC.
I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

As for your method, for me it only removes ads on video for YouTube. But banners are back, hope I'm doing it right.
9K5JSJI.png

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
As for this method, for me it only removes ads on video for YouTube. But banners are back, hope I'm doing it right.

Thanks for the reply. @Mustolaf

You made restart?
What happens if you remove created registry keys? Still same?

Regards,
Kardo

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Well I am loving Edge and it's the only browser I use as you already know lol. Again, I am using a hosts file to block the ads as you know. My page load times aren't slowed down at all. Maybe it's because my internet is just instant so I can't even notice a delay. However when a proper Ad blocker extension becomes available I will be switching to that. I love the responsiveness and how much faster it loads stuff than Chrome for me. I put them side by side and even gave Chrome a head start and Edge still loaded stuff faster. Chrome slows down my computer so much for some reason. Edge is so lightweight and doesn't at all. Since it's a Metro app it is inside of a sandbox and isn't a Win32 application so it's gotten pretty secure since it runs in full 64 bit on 64 bit processors so exploits are going to have a hard time escaping and wrecking the rest of your system.

My hosts file is only 450kb, it's so small. I had a 13mb one and that was horrendously slow and didn't even allow anything to load and it took forever to open the hosts file to delete the stuff and ended up having to do it in safe mode.

If I blink, I'll miss MalwareTips loading :p

Mustolaf

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2015
Thanks for the reply. @Mustolaf

You made restart?
What happens if you remove created registry keys? Still same?

Regards,
Kardo

Yes sir, I reverted my HOST modification to its factory default and followed your method then restarted, only this time banners are back BUT it does block video ads for YT. As for responsiveness with the massive HOST modification I did earlier no system\network delay that is recognizable for me at least.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Yes sir, I reverted my HOST modification and followed your method then restarted, only this time banners are back BUT it does block video ads for YT.

@Mustolaf Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
as for responsiveness with the massive HOST modification no system\network delay for me at least.

Good. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Kardo Kristal Thanks for the help and suggestion, but all I can say is Hurry up Microsoft!

You are welcome. @Mustolaf :)

I am sure Microsoft improves Edge in the future with new additions. Personally I don''t use Edge because scrolling is not so smooth than in Google Chrome. Reasons why I am using Google Chrome are:
  • Smooth scrolling
  • Security features
  • Web developer tools
I don't use plugins/extensions.

Regards,
Kardo

Reactions: Oxygen

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@Kardo Kristal ,

Edge is really smooth to scroll. It's working better than Chrome for me. Granted Internet Explorer has the smoothest scrolling of them all (Firefox, Chrome Edge) for me but I am liking Edge. Smart screen filter is a wonderful security feature. I don't use web tools and not really many extentisons so I can wait for those to be supported.

I used to use Chrome on every device. Now on every device I am using the default browser (Windows: Edge, iOS: Safari, and Android: Chrome)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.