How's Microsoft Edge working for you? Any ideas how to block ads?

Are you using Microsoft Edge?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Malware Man Thanks for the information. :)

I respect your browser choice. Every user and computer is different. One work well for you but not so well for other user. About Android on phone: I used Chrome but it was heavy on resources and now I am using default browser what is available in CyanogenMod 12.1 (Lollipop).

Regards,
Kardo

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm enjoying a few goes to Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7. On my desktop, it plays videos light on my CPU.

Never tried "Edge". The cool kids avoid it ;)

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
@Kardo Kristal You're welcome! :)

I am using a Nexus device so Chrome is the default browser. Runs fine for me. Just as you said it depends on your device as to how the performance will be. I once used Cyanogenmod on my previous Android device and I swore by the stock browser on that. I loved it. I rarely use my phone for browsing so it's not really that annoying. I mostly would prefer to use my iPad. I have maybe 1 game on my Android for those times I'm without my iPad but most times it's with me and I have all my games on that XD.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
my Edge feedback : - does not respond for a while when I goes to twitter... but seems a good browser, when accept extensions...

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
my Edge feedback : - does not respond for a while when I goes to twitter... but seems a good browser, when accept extensions...
Responds fine for me when I go to Twitter. If you are outside the USA like me then it will connect to the European server. But if you are in the USA then it will keep you connecting to their American server. So those two servers could have different connection issues. But judging from your signature and stuff I'm thinking you are located outside the USA like me and using the same server. I'm not quite sure what the issue could be since I have no problems. It could be a multiple of different things like a internet connection issue, DNS issue, etc.

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Responds fine for me when I go to Twitter. If you are outside the USA like me then it will connect to the European server. But if you are in the USA then it will keep you connecting to their American server. So those two servers could have different connection issues. But judging from your signature and stuff I'm thinking you are located outside the USA like me and using the same server. I'm not quite sure what the issue could be since I have no problems. It could be a multiple of different things like a internet connection issue, DNS issue, etc.
maybe NORTON DNS, slow a bit and sometimes crashes... sometimes no, many times ;) I live in Portugal,in Europe...

Reactions: randj89

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
maybe NORTON DNS, slow a bit and sometimes crashes... sometimes no, many times ;) I live in Portugal,in Europe...
It could be possible. I am using my ISP default DNS servers here in Canada. You are closer to their server than I am lol. Twitter loads up pretty fast and I just clicked around and it is pretty responsive for me. It could also be we are using two different systems so our hardware is going to vary. I've always used the default DNS and seen no reason to switch them.

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
It could be possible. I am using my ISP default DNS servers here in Canada. You are closer to their server than I am lol. Twitter loads up pretty fast and I just clicked around and it is pretty responsive for me. It could also be we are using two different systems so our hardware is going to vary. I've always used the default DNS and seen no reason to switch them.
well, lets wait for more Edge improvements ... I will set Edge to my main browser if he allow extensions ;)

Reactions: Malware Man
D

Deleted member 2913

Its an excellent browser. Good UI & fast.
Currently I am not using it often due to missing options & extensions support.
I need default download directory option to change. It doesn't gives the option to save downloads but directly saves it. Plus no extension support, default search change option, etc...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Until extension support is added to Edge, I would think a desktop based Adblocking software would work.

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Guys I just purchased adguard premium unlimited license for 2 PC and yes it works blocking ads on Microsoft Edge I love it!

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I haven't used it yet, but i will try it out soon!

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
Even if Edge was lightning fast I still wouldn't use it as long as it has no extension support. I use a lot of addons and adblock is just one of many.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My thoughts:

1) I've using for 3 consecutive days from now and its performance does really well. Quick and straighforward browser.

2) Not responding occur on barely cases when watched videos.

3) For advertisement, blocking using desktop based should work but I'm not using neither because I've never encounter any annoying pop ups + rare case to be infected. ;)*

* FYI: The Service Release batch 2 according to Microsoft will release likely on September where extension suppport for Edge Browser is inclusive. (made from Chrome API extension concept) (Correct me if I'm wrong)

3) As long the Smartscreen Filter is in action, then advertisment that wants to transmit viruses should be prohibited.

Last edited:

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Using Edge and has been using it ever since it got included in the Insider builds of Windows 10.
It's fast, clean and most important to me - built with focus on security and stability.

The majority of my online activities are in places with absolutely no connection to the advertising industry, so I'm not hugely affected by the current lack of ad filtering options.

I must say however, that whenever I find my way out on a news site and gets bombarded with blinking, jumping and trumpeting ads, then I curse the current state of the web and look forward to Edge getting support for either TPLs or extensions so I can filter those ads out of sight.

In the meantime I simply enable Reading Mode in Edge, whenever I'm on ad-filled pages.
It's an extra click - but it gets the job done until extensions arrives.

Reactions: randj89 and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In the meantime I simply enable Reading Mode in Edge, whenever I'm on ad-filled pages.
It's an extra click - but it gets the job done until extensions arrives.

+1 for using your initiative.

In your opinion, how much has Edge improved since the early builds from the Insider releases?

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
In your opinion, how much has Edge improved since the early builds from the Insider releases?

Massive improvements.
I liked it from the beginning. It was a bit unstable at first, but that cleared up on next Insider build.
Then InPrivate mode got added and matured over a builds time.
Advanced settings was next which was then stable as of build 10240.

No doubt, the Edge team are extremely focused and have a clear vision of what they want to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.