Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Some people don't fully enjoy the new Windows 10
It seems that the Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 15 laptop is one of the devices affected by the Microsoft's OS update. Among issues related to crashes and bad updates implementation, now problems with machines not waking up from sleep appear.

On the HP forums, user Hemilios first noted an issue where HP Pavilion 15 laptops wouldn't go into sleep mode. He explains that, when he tried to close the laptop or put it manually into sleep mode, the screen would just turn off and the power button would remain on. The only way to actually shut down the computer would be by turning it off completely. On reboot, however, all the previous settings are lost.

It appears that this issue is not isolated, as many other users followed the original poster's main message and confirmed having the same issue. In some cases, Pavilion users would put their machines to sleep but they wouldn't be able to wake them up. Although these issues are somewhat to be expected from a new operating system, it's the corporate policy of many large companies to immediately upgrade their employees’ operating systems once new versions come out. Unfortunately, this puts their staff laptops at risk, as the new OS is still buggy and has security issues.

A controversial corporate policy that affects the work of thousands of employees
Having company computers crash multiple times while holding important data isn't really a practical move, but because of this risk, Microsoft works hard on updating its operating system so that it is fully compliant with any computer out there.

Hemilios finally got it solved with some help from a fellow forum user after updating his Intel(R) HD Graphics Family driver software, and restarting his machine. However, he admits that this fix doesn't solve the issue completely, as the computer will wake up randomly after a while. The settings not being saved after the restart is another issue that still remains unaddressed.

What Windows 10 users should do now is what every normal Windows user does after every new system hits the markets: wait for more system patches and for the system to improve.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Thankfully, again, I don't have this issue. My laptop would sleep if I close the lid. :D
Well, I'm on Pavilion 14, so the family of my laptop might not be affected.

Reactions: MrXidus

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thankfully, again, I don't have this issue. My laptop would sleep if I close the lid. :D
Well, I'm on Pavilion 14, so the family of my laptop might not be affected.
I have had problems in the past with HP machines and windows updates.Seems like with every OS they have one problem or another.I do have an older HP laptop that I have never had problems with.

Reactions: MrXidus and XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Tssk... Well for me I've neither experience any failure as my current HP Laptop is already accepted my upgrade without problems.

The thing it revert back is when I use other brand of laptop before (Samsung) where sleep mode is not working for some reason. *

*After any epic fail software issue which I turn to report from Samsung Service center.

The bottom line here as always, where manufacturers should take it a full responsibility as not everyone are tech savvy.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My current HP laptop does not experience this issue thankfully, how ever the option in Control Panel for "Choose what closing the lid does." all 6 options are set to "Nothing" - making sure to click Save Changes yet closing the lid continues to put it into sleep mode.
This is one issue I encountered after clean installing Windows 10, I did not have this issue on Windows 8.1

An annoyance since I have to keep it open now which means leaving the screen and keyboard prone to dust and damage as I don't actually use the screen 70% of the time since I have it hooked up on a 1080p monitor via HDMI.

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
This is not just HP, Even my Dell Inspiron having same issue, I've written some articles it takes around 4-5 hours when came back lost everything due to this :(

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.