HTG Explains: Why You Don’t Need a Full Internet Security Suite

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
1) Windows Defender is alright, but it still lacks zero day protection, and no web protection.

2) I agree that Windows Firewall is good, but i still prefer full internet security suite because they add more modules to assist Windows Firewall such as BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, and Emsisoft.

3) Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome Phishing filter is not good compare to full internet security suite.

4) I will never put a lot of hope onto WOT because they are not always accurate.

H

hjlbx

For typical user that does moderate surfing and little downloading, full security suite is likely sufficient.

For lock-down security, full security suite is a waste of time - since it will not provide lock-down security.

What is correct solution is dependent upon user's goals and habits - plus, what they like and expect...

Lockjack

Level 1
Verified
Feb 22, 2014
Dropped wot a long time ago because of the way a lot of good sites were red. I would trust more virustotal and a strict adblock for when you are in unchartered territory.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
But later on htg mention that they do not recommend to use wd / mse anymore. I use wd because it runs smoothly in win 10 but still i do not dare to trust it completely.
You're right!Combining windows firewall with products such as Emsisoft anti-malware or Eset antivirus would be a wiser choice for sure. Relying on wd or mse for protection would be complete suicide ;)

Reactions: Crystal_Lake_Camper

jackflash

Level 1
Verified
Dec 25, 2015
i got a pc from a friend and found firewall disabled also defender updates off cant switch them on, it was because it had got a virus at sometime, have removed virus but still no go as damage has been done, for the time being am using zonealarm firewall with MSE ativirus have told him to be more carefull in future but knowing him he wont, good to know MSE is sound.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes the internet suite design to enhance the protection by minimal even though their BB or suspicious related protection tend to be active cause they are not design to be a solo protection. So you will go on those other alternatives that primarily focus on active protection. But still at the end of the day; the user decision will have final decision.

D

Deleted member 178

You need Full internet security suite, but only for those who beginner in computer things. But for us, medium to advanced users. I dont think we need full internet security suite tho.

Depending on the user as well.

For typical user that does moderate surfing and little downloading, full security suite is likely sufficient.

For lock-down security, full security suite is a waste of time - since it will not provide lock-down security.

What is correct solution is dependent upon user's goals and habits - plus, what they like and expect...

i agree with those 2 posts. Suites becomes more and more bloated, with features the average users don't even grasp the concept.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.