Huawei Risk Can be Managed, Say UK Cyber-Security Chiefs

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Any risk posed by involving the Chinese technology giant Huawei in UK telecoms projects can be managed, cyber-security chiefs have determined.

The UK's National Cyber Security Centre's decision undermines US efforts to persuade its allies to ban the firm from 5G communications networks. As first reported by the Financial Times, the conclusion by the National Cyber Security Centre - part of the intelligence agency GCHQ - will feed into the review. The decision has not yet been made public, but the security agency said in a statement it had "a unique oversight and understanding of Huawei engineering and cyber security". The Chinese government is accused of using Huawei as a proxy so it can spy on rival nations. But Huawei has said it gives nothing to Beijing, aside from taxes. Australia, New Zealand, and the US have already banned Huawei from supplying equipment for their future fifth generation mobile broadband networks, while Canada is reviewing whether the company's products present a serious security threat. Most of the UK's mobile companies - Vodafone, EE and Three - have been working with Huawei on developing their 5G networks. They are awaiting on a government review, due in March or April, that will decide whether they can use Huawei technology. As first reported by the Financial Times, the conclusion by the National Cyber Security Centre - part of the intelligence agency GCHQ - will feed into the review. The decision has not yet been made public, but the security agency said in a statement it had "a unique oversight and understanding of Huawei engineering and cyber security".

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I was quite surprised by the UK when i read this earlier today. More so because they seem to have gone against what almost every other nation is thinking. I wonder if we will ever know what this "unique oversight " is, it would be interesting to see what they have seen that no one else has. Personally i think Hauwei have been a bit hard done by and been found guilty by a jury in the absence of a trial.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

"The US government has long branded Huawei a threat. It has hacked our servers and stolen our emails and source code," Guo Ping said. "Despite this, the US government has never provided any evidence supporting their accusations that Huawei poses a cybersecurity threat.
"Still, the US government is sparing no effort to smear the company and mislead the public about Huawei. Even worse, the US government is trying to block us from the 5G markets in other countries."

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
"Despite this, the US government has never provided any evidence supporting their accusations that Huawei poses a cybersecurity threat.
"Still, the US government is sparing no effort to smear the company and mislead the public about Huawei. Even worse, the US government is trying to block us from the 5G markets in other countries."

It's Kaspersky Gate all over again.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Wow, I had to think about your comment a bit, Weebarra. Due to past use of Lenovo products with shoddy outcomes (crap motherboad), dangerously vulnerable proprietary software that went for months w/out a fiix (critically vuln. Lenovo Solutions Center for evaluating hardware issues in mid 2016. Nothing prob. came of it but it seemed a perfect and creepy storm in hindsight with those cpu vulns.) I'm not inclined to be as gracious. Of course, no dominating force in the global market is going to jeopardize its standing by getting caught with something like this--too many watchful eyes. We consumers know next to nothing.

This and this color my perceptions but instead of solidifying any bias, I'd rather search for non-Chinese alternatives, something that's becoming increasingly difficult to do. I enjoy a shot of Kas.now and then, but there's nefariousness there also. Many Chinese look upon Westerners with disfavor also, right?

L

Local Host

I was quite surprised by the UK when i read this earlier today. More so because they seem to have gone against what almost every other nation is thinking. I wonder if we will ever know what this "unique oversight " is, it would be interesting to see what they have seen that no one else has. Personally i think Hauwei have been a bit hard done by and been found guilty by a jury in the absence of a trial.
I'm more surprised due to fact UK tends to follow USA every word without looking into evidence, I expected them to do so again with Huawei, but since they relying on Huawei for 5G makes sense they went with the EU approach on this one and made their own research instead of following USA baseless acusations.

This is Kaspersky all over again, unless the USA has evidence to present (yea right), there's nothing to see here. I personally don't use Huawei devices, but If I did I wouldn't stop using them just because of baseless acusations (especially from USA).

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Wow, I had to think about your comment a bit, Weebarra. Due to past use of Lenovo products with shoddy outcomes (crap motherboad), dangerously vulnerable proprietary software that went for months w/out a fiix (critically vuln. Lenovo Solutions Center for evaluating hardware issues in mid 2016. Nothing prob. came of it but it seemed a perfect and creepy storm in hindsight with those cpu vulns.) I'm not inclined to be as gracious. Of course, no dominating force in the global market is going to jeopardize its standing by getting caught with something like this--too many watchful eyes. We consumers know next to nothing.

This and this color my perceptions but instead of solidifying any bias, I'd rather search for non-Chinese alternatives, something that's becoming increasingly difficult to do. I enjoy a shot of Kas.now and then, but there's nefariousness there also. Many Chinese look upon Westerners with disfavor also, right?

Thanks for those shares @plat1098, interesting reading but my comment was merely pointing out the " providing no evidence" part, that's why i said it was similar to the Kaspersky debate. I think many people feel like you do with rather buying a non Chinese item but they make absolutely everything even if it's just the components that go towards making almost every item we possess. There's probably spyware implanted in my washing machine although they won't get much from me other than a load of old dirty underwear. Good Luck to them there. :p

I hope i didn't come across as being rude or that i was contradicting you in any way because that was not my intention. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.