Huawei Set for Limited Role in UK 5G Networks

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The UK has decided to let Huawei continue to be used in its 5G networks but with restrictions, despite pressure from the US to block the firm.

The Chinese firm will be banned from supplying kit to "sensitive parts" of the network, known as the core. In addition, it will only be allowed to account for 35% of the kit in a network's periphery, which includes radio masts. And it will be excluded from areas near military bases and nuclear sites.
"Huawei is reassured by the UK government's confirmation that we can continue working with our customers to keep the 5G rollout on track," the firm's UK chief Victor Zhang said in a statement. "It gives the UK access to world-leading technology and ensures a competitive market."

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Money is talking here. Huawei is the best quality/price ratio, government can't avoid it.

All this drama was an underhanded method from the US to undermine Huawei reputation in favor of their own companies.
And as said when all this drama started, Huawei will get back its leadership in the market and resume operations, just with less exposition and dominance.
And when Donald Duck will leave the White House, the whole drama will not even be something to care about.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
In my opinion, Huawei does make very good products. The only bad thing about them is their privacy policy since they could hand over information to the Chinese government because they will not be able to turn them down. Also, in my opinion, it seems like USA companies are less advanced and much slower than the Chinese competition in regards to developing 5G technology. So no wonder why so many countries are considering Huawei products, also it is cheaper. I am hoping 5G gets rolled out over the world fast because I am seriously excited about new things that can be achieved with it new AI and smart cities, etc.

Last edited:

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Money is talking here. Huawei is the best quality/price ratio, government can't avoid it.

All this drama was an underhanded method from the US to undermine Huawei reputation in favor of their own companies.
And as said when all this drama started, Huawei will get back its leadership in the market and resume operations, just with less exposition and dominance.
And when Donald Duck will leave the White House, the whole drama will not even be something to care about.

Except completely understandable from the US point of view. China has also banned many American tech companies from Chinese market, because for instance Google would crush Baidu instantly if it was allowed to be used. And same would happen to plenty of other Chinese tech companies if their US counterparts were allowed access to Chinese market. 5G is one of the few things China is actually leading the US, and its more to do with the fact Chinese government is spending more on 5G infrastructure than the US government is.

Reactions: plat and SunMan09

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
In my opinion, Huawei does make very good products. The only bad thing about them is their privacy policy since they could hand over information to the Chinese government because they will not be able to turn them down. Also, in my opinion, it seems like USA companies are less advanced and much slower than the Chinese competition in regards to developing 5G technology. So no wonder why so many countries are considering Huawei products, also it is cheaper. I am hoping 5G gets rolled out over the world fast because I am seriously excited about new things that can be achieved with it new AI and smart cities, etc.

Accusations against Huawei are not completely unfounded, Australia was concerned about Huawei long before the US was actually. Not to mention Huawei has been ruthless in stealing IP. Plenty of examples like Cisco and AT&T come first to my mind. In Cisco's case, independent code review revealed Huawei had just copy pasted most of the code Cisco used in their own routers lmfao.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Accusations against Huawei are not completely unfounded, Australia was concerned about Huawei long before the US was actually. Not to mention Huawei has been ruthless in stealing IP. Plenty of examples like Cisco and AT&T come first to my mind. In Cisco's case, independent code review revealed Huawei had just copy pasted most of the code Cisco used in their own routers lmfao.
Nothing new.
also you have to know there was a time (not sure if still valid) when a foreign company want to install a branch or factory in China, they have to "share" some of their tech or employ Chinese staff especially engineers; this was a trade to benefit both party (foreigners get cheap labors, China get new tech). Then after the said employees end their contract with the foreign company, they are directly hired by a Chinese one in the same field of product, transferring the acquired competences.
So when you say "copy" tech, it may not mean it was a steal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.