Troubleshoot I Don't Have a Router Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plat1098

Thread author
Hello everyone. :love:

My ISP supplies routers/modems for my Ethernet connection and the Altice-branded Sagem router is my third in less than a year. Something is always zapping it and making it dysfunctional. Anyway, I now have the Ethernet hooked up directly from modem to computer. What do you all recommend in terms of extra security measures, if any? Using just Windows firewall, and my browsing/downloading habits are a real yawn. DNS server is the Google one. Speed is overall OK but not consistently at 200/25.

Thank you for any insightful info. I have an open mind toward investing in a more decent Ethernet setup, OK?

Reactions: upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Head to the computer store and buy a router. Basically hooked right to the modem means every single port you have but 25 is probably open. I wouldn't trust a software firewall in your case.

If I was wide open and forced to choose a software firewall I'd pick Panda Dome, Norton, Bullguard or G Data as a suite as they all have either great or good firewalls, with a strong emphasis on Panda and Norton with the IPS layer.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
Hey, thanks @ForgottenSeer 58943 @upnorth. For interim use, while I'm wringing my hands over this, I was wondering about a firewall adjunct software, like TinyWall or something like that. Would that add some security to fill in for the missing router? Confession: I tried the CloudFlare DNS 1.1.1.1--when machine was started up next day, router would not connect. Zap! Had ISP check it and everything.

This is what I'm considering but I have to save up for it:

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Reactions: upnorth and frogboy
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
You already have a modem, don't buy a router modem combo.

Keep your existing modem, it will auto-DHCP bridge to your router when connected to one, then your router will handle DHCP, DNS and WiFi.

Get this refurb ASUS for $59. T-Mobile used to put these in homes for people to boost signal but the deal ended. Asus took them all back, refurbished them and is letting them go for nothing now. Load Merlin Firmware on it, and you get the added bonus of Trend AiProtection as another layer of security.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GYWPCJ

Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
Well, the plan was to invest in a better combo and keep the pre-existing modem as a backup. The desktop is small and can get very cluttered, the shelf above it is already occupied and accidents with drinks are not unheard of. Not committed to the TP-Link because when you actually go to the store to get it, you can end up with something else.

My original question was more like: since there's an unspecified period of time without a router, what additional security measures can you take, including software additions that can help fill in the security gaps?

Edit: Good router info, thank you @upnorth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Well, the plan was to invest in a better combo and keep the pre-existing modem as a backup. The desktop is small and can get very cluttered, the shelf above it is already occupied and accidents with drinks are not unheard of. Not committed to the TP-Link because when you actually go to the store to get it, you can end up with something else.

My original question was more like: since there's an unspecified period of time without a router, what additional security measures can you take, including software additions that can help fill in the security gaps?

Edit: Good router info, thank you @upnorth.

The answer was - don't go any amount of time without a hardware router. Jacking into the modem means EVERY SINGLE PORT is wide open. Many ISP's block SMTP (25) and that's about it.

If that absolutely is not an option, and you can't get the $59 for the router i linked, then install FortKnox Firewall.

Free Firewall Download | Blocks Hackers Attempts, Identity Thefts, Spyware, Adware and Trojans

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
then install FortKnox Firewall.

I would make sure you get a router-gateway that allows you to tweak it also. Sly can help you with that.
This does seem like a nice firewall. I am currently using it along side NetLimiter set out and in to ask not the install default of allow. Only thing you end up having to answer two popups for the same app.
Sly what do you think of NetLimiter?

Reactions: plat1098
Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
Alright, I overlooked the slightly higher sense of urgency because, well, the schlep to Micro Center is such a pain (see? Always a real story behind the story). Replacing the router ASAP--I'll be OK with the setup. Thanks all!

wouldn't trust a software firewall in your case.

(y):cool:

Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
Do not you have a surge protection? It is cheap and it also provides Telephone, Ethernet and Coaxial Protection.

Yes, actually, I do have one. The Sagem router is very cheap and the ISP always replaces it without charge and without questions--I wonder why. I'm done messing around with the ISP's equipment; better to invest in something worth keeping, right?

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Do not you have a surge protection? It is cheap and it also provides Telephone, Ethernet and Coaxial Protection.
Yes, actually, I do have one.
What are you using? Understand a surge and spike protector (S&SP) is kinda like a motorcycle helmet. If it saves your noggin once, it did its job and needs to be replaced.

Even if you never had a major surge or spike, constant pounding over time from lessor surges and spikes WILL wear down the MOVs and other protection components, reducing or even totally negating any protective qualities of the components.

That said, a S&SP really is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord. For "excessive" surges and spikes, if lucky, they just kill power to connected devices - never good for computers.

But a S&SP does absolutely nothing for low voltage anomalies like sags (opposites of surges), dips (opposite of spikes), and brownouts (long duration sags). These anomalies at best, put excess strain on your device's power supplies and regulator circuits (increasing heat). At worst, they cause your equipment to suddenly shut down.

So I always recommend all computers be on a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Many refer to these as "battery backups" but the reality is, power during a full power outage is just a minor bonus feature. It is the AVR that makes them so valuable.

A decent UPS will protect your computer, monitor(s) and all your network gear too.

As for a router, at this point, even a budget router is MUCH better than nothing. I would not worry about extra software. Your Windows Firewall is fine for that. What's more important is to keep Windows and your security software current. And that you, the user and ALWAYS weakest link in security, are not "click-happy" on unsolicited links, downloads, attachments and popups.

Because this does sound like power (and/or grounding) issues, I think it should be checked out. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

If you have a multimeter and feel qualified to use it, check the voltage at your wall outlet too. I came home one night to hear all my UPS beeping - but the lights were on. A quick check of the UPS status display panel showed my line voltage sitting at 146VAC! :eek: :mad: It should be ~120VAC. I verified this with my multimeter and checked the 240VAC too and it was at 292VAC. I called the power company, explained I was a technician and warned them they would be buying everyone in the neighborhood new refrigerators, freezers and air conditioner compressors if they didn't come right away and fix this.

No kidding - in less than 15 minutes, they were at my house! They verified at my meter that the incoming voltage on the drop was 292VAC. Within 30 minutes, another crew with a bucket truck was at the transformer - moving the tap to a different position. This dropped the voltage in the house to 127VAC and 254VAC. Better, but still a bit high so they scheduled us for a brand new transformer - which we got 3 days later. :) Now my voltage is at 119VAC.

Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
But a S&SP does absolutely nothing for low voltage anomalies like sags (opposites of surges), dips (opposite of spikes), and brownouts (long duration sags). These anomalies at best, put excess strain on your device's power supplies and regulator circuits (increasing heat).

Oh now, here we go. OK, my building is pretty ancient (c. 1920) and the electrical system probably also dates around that time (no, just kidding, maybe). ConEdison is frequently around tending to the crappy electrical issues and manhole fires around here. I have seen fluctuations in lighting a few times! Very good, especially considering your hazardous but silent electrical condition @Digerati. I do recall your having mentioned USPs several times before. A USP and a multi meter wouldn't be bad considerations at all in this scenario--maybe costing around $50 extra. Very good! :)

Reactions: askmark and upnorth
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
If your power sucks, get a PSW UPS, not a SSW.

For my home I have a KVAR which acts as a surge protector and 60Hz variance filter for the entire home. Even better is a MxDNA, which burns off 60Hz variances as heat rendering totally clean, pure 60Hz electricity into your home. For MxDNA are super expensive. The KVAR does the job for my home and as a bonus stores reactive power so I am not double dipped by the power company.

But yeah, power strips are useless. :D

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I have seen fluctuations in lighting a few times!
Note that fluctuation you (as a human) see are anomalies of very long durations. That is, most happen so quickly we can't see them. :(

Do note I said "good" UPS with AVR. You sure don't have to spend $400, but a $150 is not unreasonable. A budget UPS won't have as good regulation and they often don't have as quick reaction/cutover times.

As far as the pure sinewave (PSW), I don't buy into that hype. Computers and other sensitive equipment have running just fine on stepped-approximation or simulated sinewave UPS for decades without problems. My 1500VA APC uses a stepped-approximation sine wave and works just fine.

Remember, that output waveform only comes into play during a full power outage. And your UPS only needs to support your computer during a full power outage long enough for you to save your work and "gracefully" shut the computer down.

The hype about pure sinewave UPS has been generated mostly by the marketing weenies of the makers of such UPS trying to take sales away from APC. It is important to note as I said above, backup power is just a minor bonus. I live in Tornado Alley and according my UPS log, in the last 12 weeks, my UPS has cut-over to battery power for a total of 0 minutes.

Now if you can find a pure sinewave UPS at a decent price with enough power to support your connected equipment, fine. Get it. But there is no need to worry you get a pure sinewave. Any decent power supply can handle the stepped-approximation waveform just fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
PSW isn't hype, there is a reason enterprise UPS are pure sine wave. Many server PSU's struggle with SSW (simulated sine wave) because they will usually fail to switch over to battery operation or it will make a bunch of audible squeals then report an overload or error condition and shut itself down. Depending on the PSU's you use, they may not be entirely compatible with SSW. By the way, server warranties can be invalidated with an SSW.

You can see the failure of SSW by hooking your SSW UPS to a generator and it will audibly complain incessantly to the point it may shut down because it can't compensate fast enough. So if you use a generator you'll need a PSW UPS or you could run into big issues for a power outage. I'm sure others on the forum are aware of how badly SSW units complain (and sometimes fail) on generator power. So that's another thing to consider IF you use generator power at all. If not, then SSW would be fine provided your PSU has no issue with SSW and you don't run any servers.

For the average joe, SSW is probably fine (and cheaper).

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
PSW isn't hype,
Pure sine wave is not hype, all the marketing fluff that they are need is.

As for servers, nah! Not if you get a decent PSU - which should always be the case - as well as a decent UPS, which also should always be the case, as I noted above.

Note the ATX Form Factor standard calls for all ATX compliant power supplies "Hold-up" (maintain power output) for at least 17ms in the event of a power outage or a sag (drop in voltage) below 90VAC for 115VAC mains (180VAC for 230-250VAC mains).

Any decent UPS will cut-over to backup power way before that 17ms. After that, it is easy for any decent supply to smooth out the rough edges of the waveform.

Sadly, not all supplies meet this requirement. So do your homework and read the professional reviews BEFORE you buy a PSU.

Note this debate has been discussed over and over again - but again, stepped approximation UPSs have been used (including on servers) for decades. Rather than repeat everything please see this:
Need Help - Which brands are well known in UPS hardware. (Uninterruptible power supply)

By the way, server warranties can be invalidated with an SSW.
Oh? Please provide a link.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I don't need to read articles. We deploy thousands of servers and workstations a year. Many thousands of UPS's a year. We have electrical engineers specifically involved with power conditioning and backup solutions for up to and including the datacenter level.

As I already said, for most basic, average Joe's SSW is probably just fine. For other applications or environments not so much. That's the only point that needed to be made and any continued comments on that basic point is really a waste of time and a thread derailment. None of this is relevant to anything the original guy posted anyway. So if you continue to belabor all of this then you'll not get reinforcement of that lunacy from me. We've gone down that road before, and I won't repeat it.

Upvote 0
P

plat1098

Thread author
OK, the "original guy" wanted to put a final footnote on this issue and thank everyone for input! This is what I do:

1. Went back to ISP and got a replacement router of a different model.
2. Get a higher end surge protector.

Given the iffy electrical, to plug thousands of dollars' worth of computer equipment into a 5 dollar strip is kind of foolish, I think. Hindsight is 20/20.

Note that fluctuation you (as a human) see are anomalies of very long durations. That is, most happen so quickly we can't see them. :(

Right. However, this is Brooklyn, not a chateau among the trees. And I needed to travel to ISP, passing right by the site of the latest police-involved shooting. Google it: that's my nabe.

I suggest some of you have some empathy for - and patience with- those not as gifted with expertise and worldly wealth. I posted this to obtain some much-needed information, not to get insulted. You know who you are, let's keep it light. @Jack, @BoraMurdar : please lock this thread, it's done.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.