I had no idea...Panda Antivirus Pro 2016...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Hey I need some advice. I cleaned up all my Images today and started over.

I had no idea Panda Anti-Viras a firewall, and I installed Spyshelter Firewall too, both of these are retail versions.

Should I turn off the Panda firewall or leave them both on?

Thanks

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PANDASECURITY.COM - PROTECT YOUR WIRELESS NETWORKS AGAINST HACKERS AND INTRUDERS
"Panda Antivirus Pro 2016 includes a bidirectional firewall to protect your Wi-Fi network from intrusions and unwanted connections. Chat, share photos and videos, read your favorite blogs or simply surf the Web with complete peace of mind."

You may have missed this on their homepage, as they advertise as WiFi Protection.

Here's a comparison with the Free version:
upload_2015-9-19_8-9-57.png

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Yep...Didn't notice that, so turn off Panda's firewall or leave them both on...Spyshelter firewall and Panda firewall?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as possible leave Panda Pro's Firewall turned on and remove Spyshelter Firewall.

However it depends on how you will configure because it binds to become more maintainance and complex.

R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Can you explain that a little bit more. Why remove spyshelter firewall? Isn't spyshelter firewall better than Panda firewall?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
@Rod McCarthy

Decide which firewall you wish to use as you only need one; running two firewalls simultaneously will eventually cause problems up to and including internet breakage.

L

LabZero

Thread author
About SpyShelter, you can either disable specific Firewall actions or whole Firewall module keeping all the other features.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rod McCarthy : As possible the Firewall of Panda may capable for such simplicity and straigtforward setup whch for Spyshelter can turn more into complex due to many features allocated for protection.

Now as mentioned, decide for your setup. ;)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Can you explain that a little bit more. Why remove spyshelter firewall? Isn't spyshelter firewall better than Panda firewall?
The spyshelter firewall is not really a firewall in the normal sense of the word. You will still need a regular firewall. This is what Rubenking says about it in his review of Spyshelter in PCMAG:

"Not Precisely a Firewall
You probably have an idea of what a firewall should do. SpyShelter's firewall component doesn't precisely match what you're thinking. It doesn't attempt to put your ports in stealth mode. It doesn't manage Internet and network permissions for the programs you run. And it doesn't actively prevent exploit attacks."

In short, it gives you lots of good protection, but you still need a regular firewall.

As for Panda firewall, it is a regular firewall, but I read that it does not stealth all ports. True, Kaspersky firewall doesn't stealth all ports either, by default, but Kaspersky is sophisticated enough to make up for it by applying rules.
I am not sure Panda is in the same league.

I personally would turn off Panda firewall, turn on Windows firewall, and keep running the Spyshelter firewall. That way you have good protection without conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.