I hate Sony's politic about computer's drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Yes i hate them for that,

With all the money they gather, they can't even be able to update their drivers to Windows 8 for older laptop.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver for my girlfriend's laptop and as expected it can't install because Sony locked the installation of drivers not released by them.

It is like: "you want new drivers? buy a new laptop"

I tried to modify the INF files by adding the laptop model but it doesn't work...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would probably never buy a Sony laptop again.I agree and find it hard to believe in such a competitive market that they take this stance.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Because sheep customers don't even care about spec & usability, just the brand to show off...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Because sheep customers don't even care about spec & usability, just the brand to show off...

Geez, that sounds like an Apple fan.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Apple is even worth :D

The only good thing about Apple, is their iPod Nano's. Still have version 5th generation and it's still doing me fine.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Yes i hate them for that,

With all the money they gather, they can't even be able to update their drivers to Windows 8 for older laptop.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver for my girlfriend's laptop and as expected it can't install because Sony locked the installation of drivers not released by them.

I tried to modify the INF files by adding the laptop model but it doesn't work...

LOLZ,they actually are greedy for money...so I am not surprised at all. Good luck with drivers now...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think Sony makes much profit, haha.

You answered your own question: "Older laptops". Why would a company support old hardware, when they can sell new devices. I bet many companies do this too, unless they're still selling their products from 2011 like hotcakes.

I can't update my ATI drivers either, but if it's not broken why should I update. Just to mention, I am also not a gamer, so it's not key for me.

Another thing, you can see my 2008-released VAIO was last updated in 2011.
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW11E/updates

My laptop shipped with Windows Vista, but when Windows 7 was released they updated a handleful of Drivers including 64-bit versions.
In 2009, they released a BIOS update to "Enable Intel-VT", as the Mobo supported it but wasn't shipped with the option to enable it.

That's my story, which is positive.

As for Android, as the mobile-era is fast paced, don't expect today's smartphone being supported around in 12 months. You'll need better hardware (*cough* Nokia *cough*) to support the OS.

PS: I gather some will think I'm a Sony Fanboy, which I'm not. I just don't spend unnecessary. :angel:

Umbra Corp. said:

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The laptop of my girlfriend was made in 2009, shipped with Win7. If they lazy to update drivers , at least they should not lock the installation of 3rd party ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.