Advice Request I have lost all my One Note Files from everywhere.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi, everyone, this is a crisis for me. I just signed in to my PC today and opened One Note, I opened One Note and found a '!' on the top of the app. I pressed it and synced the notebook. Bhoom! all my previous notes went disappearing and a blank notebook came with introduction. I taught it would be just a glitch in the app hence I logged in to the official One Note web site, and I was shocked, my notes are gone!:cry:. If I try to open the notebook url from One Drive it says

Capture.PNG

I am now not able to see my notebook anywhere, I even contacted Microsoft support and they are clueless about this and simple trying to get rid of me by providing useless links. Has anyone encountered this issue and fixed it? Please any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you provide a detail list of events, that happened before this incident?

Could you have accidentally moved the OneNote notebook file on OneDrive?

Do you use OneNote on any other devices such as iPhone, Android or from the Web?

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@Spawn , its difficult to answer these, but what I can all say after trying all the recovery methods my files are still missing. The recently opened notebook doesn't fetch the path. I am confused of what had happened, I feel totally blank after all my precious files.:cry:

Ok let me sort it for you.

I tried to login to one note with my new Android phone which was like 1 week after I used those files, when I signed in, nothing was present, I taught it was a sync problem and then I checked in my laptop.

As soon as the app opened the files were there, but when my PC connected to internet and started sync, the files went missing here also. To verify once again I checked my OneDrive cloud storage, but unfortunately I found nothing there too. :cry:

There is a shortcut placed as __Notebook but when I try to navigate it, its showing me that message.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am not a OneNote expert, but it has happened to me in the past that my notebook was "closed", and that made it hard to find. Google on how to find and open "closed" notebooks, maybe it will help. I don't think it is gone, I think it is just hiding.
Maybe they can help on Microsoft forum.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

If they are gone locally, and in the cloud, then we have a big problem.

That aside, please look into Standard Notes for note taking and Sync.com for encrypted file storage.

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I am not a OneNote expert, but it has happened to me in the past that my notebook was "closed", and that made it hard to find. Google on how to find and open "closed" notebooks, maybe it will help. I don't think it is gone, I think it is just hiding.
Maybe they can help on Microsoft forum.
Thanks, I will try Google it. But as far as I know the cloud content is missing. I'm starting to loose trust on Microsoft now.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.