Runt85

Level 1
Jan 19, 2017
I have a older 2012 Hp desktop
It came installed with windows 8,i did find a iso of windows 10 off of microsoft.com,after running windows 10 for many months i opened up task manager and seen the computer usage % was very high up to 98 percent

This is what i have installed
WINDOWS 8.1--- 64 bit
-avast free or bitdefender free,i switch back and forth
-voodoo shield free
-google chrome
-ccleaner
-geekuninstaller free

If anyone could lend a hand and help me out it would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PC HELP.PNG
    PC HELP.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 367
Reactions: SHvFl

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Actually, some people complain that Avira is kind of heavy on the system.
The free AV that most people consider light is Avast.

Reactions: Runt85
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows 10 and Core2Duo\Pentium chips don't work well together. It isn't your installed programs, but instead Windows 10 memory management.

I see you have an E1 processor -- so therein lies part of the problem. Also, you have 4 GB of memory, therein lies the other part of the problem.

I use a Pentium P6100 Toshiba L655-S5096 with 3 GB RAM. Startup is very slow and some application launches are very slow. Chrome, for example, will spike physical memory usage 1o 100 %. After everything calms down after a few minutes, the average is about 50 % of RAM while browsing and some other programs open.

For ancient, low-end systems I suggest using a security solution that is very easy on the system resources.
Do those old CPUs work better on Windows 8? I didn't notice a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my old Pentium II computer with 4 gb RAM.

Reactions: Runt85 and Spawn
Upvote 0

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
Be aware that Avira installs some unwanted Launcher/Connect software, and I wouldn't have recommended to use Avira (or any other Antivirus), until you sorted the issue out.

Yes, you could have used Geek Uninstaller to remove Chrome.

@Runt85 Has your CPU issue been solved? In some posts you say Windows 8 and the other 8.1, which is it? Thanks :)

You can discuss your Security setup at Security Configuration Wizard.

Upvote 0

Do those old CPUs work better on Windows 8? I didn't notice a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my old Pentium II computer with 4 gb RAM.

My beater old system can only handle Windows 7. While a config that includes Chrome, PeaZip, UltraSearch, Kingsoft WPS, Rollback RX, AppGuard, SpyShelter, etc will run on it... it's just slow to start and get to a stable, active desktop. Once the active desktop is stable, then it works just fine.

Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Jan 19, 2017
Be aware that Avira installs some unwanted Launcher/Connect software, and I wouldn't have recommended to use Avira (or any other Antivirus), until you sorted the issue out.

Yes, you could have used Geek Uninstaller to remove Chrome.

@Runt85 Has your CPU issue been solved? In some posts you say Windows 8 and the other 8.1, which is it? Thanks :)

You can discuss your Security setup at Security Configuration Wizard.

Its 8.1

Problem is still an issue

Attachments

• 111111.PNG
    111111.PNG
    428.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 2222.PNG
    2222.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 277
Upvote 0

Runt85

Level 1
Jan 19, 2017
Once youtube is shut off,it drops down to 4%-20% range,i pay for comcast blast package the fastest speed i can get in my area mainly for my playstation 4

Upvote 0

Xsjx

Level 13
Feb 21, 2017
Once youtube is shut off,it drops down to 4%-20% range,i pay for comcast blast package the fastest speed i can get in my area mainly for my playstation 4
Hmm can you post a screenshot from task manager whith the program that uses the most cpu?

Upvote 0