Q&A I need some advice ; security meets gaming

Discussion in 'Other Security for Windows' started by Durden, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Smooth Protection without interference in gaming performance?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2017.
  1. Kaspersky AV

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. EMSISOFT IS

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. WD + Voodooshield

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. WD alone

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Other ; elaborate

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Durden

Durden Level 2

Dec 21, 2013
    BSC in medicine
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Greetings guys.. so today I'm supposed to have my new Asus rog gl502vm gaming laptop delivered.
    My question is simple .. while I sense that I'm gonna have mcafee -:( - greeting me at the first start and that it's going bye bye..
    What do you think I should install instead ?
    Should I utilize that Kaspersky AV rog 1 year promotion if it's available
    Or should I use Emsisoft IS (have a key w 6 months left in it)
    Or I should just stick with windows defender +/- voodooshield ?
    Or something else..

Plz take into consideration that I need something that won't affect my gaming experience while providing enough protection.

In2an3_PpG, AtlBo and novocaine like this.
  2. novocaine

novocaine Level 4

Aug 19, 2016
    Surabaya
    Windows 7
    Comodo
    Avast Free, the very lightweight AV, it has game mode, your gaming performance wouldnt be screwed and it has lockdown protection (Hardened mode, that would be good choice, but if you want more lightweight protection, then use Comodo Firewall with CS' settings, you won't need AV,

DJ Panda, Telos, Durden and 2 others like this.
  3. Huchim

Huchim Level 4

Oct 17, 2015
    México
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
    I think you should test it on your laptop, there would be differences in opinions here, personally I see Emsisoft the best on protection and performance.

Parsh, Durden, novocaine and 2 others like this.
  4. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 22

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    Comodo Firewall see @cruelsister's settings here:

Video Review - 2 Minute Video. Comodo Firewall Settings Only, by Cruel Sister.

You won't need anything else, but you can add AppCheck Anti-ransomware free if you want to. It's so light you won't even know it's running. With HIPs off, Comodo doesn't lose any security honestly. One other thing you can do is turn on all the protections here: Advanced Protection->Miscellaneous->Do command-line heuristics analysis->certain applications. Take a screenshot of the initial settings and roll back on this if it costs you too much in the resources dept.

CFW is light enough by far now that I would recommend a look for use on any gaming rig. Just be careful letting things out of the container. Only let them out if you are 100% sure. You should get good very good advice from CFW alerts with regards to that...iow if it gets contained, probably best to leave it there.

5. darko999

darko999 Level 16

Oct 2, 2014
    #5 darko999, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    If you find that your computer is often infected, you should go with something else. If it is not the case, and you have safe surfing habits then WD is pretty much enough. It has improved a lot and Microsoft does not lack resources to keep it getting better over time.
    If you just want silence while gaming, then WD is your best pick. But as I already said, if you usually fail into running non reputable software or unknown executable; if you don't have a properly configured browser and you don't keep your software up to date, then you may be putting too much weight over WD's shoulders. If this is the case, and you do the proper excluding of all your gaming folders in your AV's settings, gaming shouldn't be affected. I recommend you that regardless of your final pick, take the time to check all your Antivirus settings and understand how it works, so you can get the best out of it ;).

Durden, novocaine and frogboy like this.
  6. Xsjx

Xsjx Level 13

Feb 21, 2017
    Netherlands
    Windows 10
    Avira
    Avira is the lightest av ( test From avc )

The cloud offers great protection.

7. Syafiq

Syafiq Level 7

May 8, 2017
    Student
    Indonesia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Avast free is very light, try it ! If you want a paid AV, try Eset IS , it won't affect the performance.:)

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Level 22

Nov 8, 2014
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    You can go with Kaspersky AV included as part of ROG promo. If you're running creators update, it includes Game mode, dunno if it actually improves gaming performance on high end CPUs, yet to be tested extensively. Besides, if you can get rid of bloatwares/trialwares included with ASUS ROG which will reduce CPU cycles being unnecessarily taken. Even getting rid of telemetry will certainly help. BTW, don't install NVidia Geforce experience because it contains telemetry and also newer drivers are tied with telemetry service called Nvidia Telemetry in services.msc. Disable those and you can have good setup. Optionally, if you're gaming offline you can activate flight mode and disable AV altogether and enjoy gaming with peak performance.

rockstarrocks and Durden like this.
  9. cruelsister

cruelsister Level 32
    Trusted

Apr 13, 2013
    NYC
    Xsjs- No, it does not.

10. ttto

ttto Level 7

Sep 22, 2016
    Chemist
    Spain
    macOS Sierra
    Norton
    #10 ttto, Jun 14, 2017
    Very light AVs like webroot or Norton would be fine. If you want free, go for avast!, or if you have windows 10 I recommend you to give a try Windows Defender, Voodooshield is a good addition. If you have a KAV license, you can use it first.

darko999, Durden and Vasudev like this.
  11. In2an3_PpG

In2an3_PpG Level 10

Nov 15, 2016
    IT Jr. Network Admin
    United States
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I am currently using Windows Defender + Voodooshield Pro. Works great. No performance issues at all.

Depending on the specs of your laptop, you probably wont have a problem running either of the applications you listed. Emsisoft runs light and so does Kaspersky. Unless you configure Kaspersky for Maximum security then it might slow your system down a bit but no real need for that unless your paranoid.

Pretty much your choice in which you would feel more comfortable running. :)

frogboy, novocaine, Durden and 2 others like this.
  12. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    You deserve a medal for this!

Currently using Avast Premier (paid) and have not been interrupted whilst using Steam + Uplay + Origin.

Avast Free Antivirus also comes with Game Mode, but I have not tested or tried it.
    • Autodetect new games: automatically adds newly run games to a list of game entries. This setting enables Game Mode to launch the next time you run the game.
    • Pause Windows updates: temporarily prevents Windows from performing updates.
    • Trigger high performance (for laptop users): switches the power plan to the highest performance setting.
    • Set games to high priority: boosts the priority of the game process to ensure that the game runs smoothly even when background processes are running.
    • Hide intrusive applications pop-ups: temporarily disables pop-ups from applications on your PC.
    • No Avast interruptions: temporarily disables Avast pop-ups, notifications, and scheduled scans.
    • Disable Windows notifications: temporarily disables Windows notifications.
    Learn more at Avast Antivirus: Game Mode

If you install Mods, then take extra steps to ensure they are safe to use (ie. download from trusted sources and read the reviews).

13. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    isn't that PC rocking a 7700K equivalent in notebook CPUs?
    in that case, even a heavy AV won't make a difference once you're ingame.
    Kaspersky has Gaming mode which halts every non-necessary operation. Idk about Avast, WD + Voodoo is good combo too, tho I have noticed performance drops while running some app that Voodoo is protecting (ie: Chrome)

Durden and Parsh like this.
  14. Xsjx

Xsjx Level 13

Feb 21, 2017
    Netherlands
    Windows 10
    Avira
    Avira, Kaspersky Top Windows 10 Antivirus Tests

Top 5 Best Anti-virus Software for Gaming 2016- PC Tips Guide |

Avira Antivirus: Game Mode explained - Avira Blog

I think this is enough?

15. S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

May 22, 2017
    US
    All most all suites/AV's now have a Game/Full Screen Mode. Try out a few listed here by the members, and see which fits your needs and uses.

darko999, Durden, Parsh and 1 other person like this.
  16. Parsh

Parsh Level 24
    Trusted AV Tester

Dec 27, 2016
    7 Islands of Bombay
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #16 Parsh, Jun 14, 2017
    @E7_Durden You already have licenses of two nice protections, so look no further for now.
    For your laptop or even otherwise, you can use the "Game mode" in Emsisoft or the Gaming mode equivalent in KAV as follows:
    Emsisoft
    Emsisoft.png
    KAV
    KIS.png
    These won't have any noticeable effect on your gaming neither will they interrupt. Make your choice among the two based on your experience and the rest of features.

17. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  18. Spawn

Spawn Administrator

Jan 8, 2011
    Durden and mekelek like this.
  19. Xsjx

Xsjx Level 13

Feb 21, 2017
    Netherlands
    Windows 10
    Avira
    I do want to test Avira for malware hub, But on my laptop is terrible slow and i dont know how to protect my vm enough for my gaming pc...
    If i find a way how to protect the vm i will start testing it.

20. Spawn

Spawn Administrator

Jan 8, 2011
    Read: Protecting Host Machine from Malware escaping a VM.

rockstarrocks likes this.