I think everyone should do this at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
This can avoid so many problems, virus or malware.

Now I'm sure the people here at MT are much more knowledgeable than myself, and they probably have a much more delicate way of handling a bad situation.

BUT to avoid problems here is what I do.

Hopefully you have 2 Extra internal hard drives named D: and E: Plus a SSD to install your OS on.

Install Windows only...Get updates. Now create a folder named Windows Base in D: then make a full backup with Acronis, and AX64 Time Machine.

Install all your favorite software, and apps, register them. Now create a folder named Windows Base Plus Essential in D: make a full backup with Acronis, and AX64 Time Machine.

Install games, and Antivirus/Firewall/IS. Now create folder named Windows Complete, in D: make a full backup with AX64 Time Machine only, and do new backups when you make changes.

Now use Directory Opus and synch your D: and E: drives. I also synch to an external 2 TB Western Digital Drive. So I have 3 BU storage solutions.

Also use Flashboot, AX64 and or Acronis to make bootable USB's so you can do restores and or backups outside of Windows. Your AX64 Time Machine backups or restore can be done from your windows desktop.

Now if you have any problems or just want to try out a new Antivirus use your "Windows Base Plus Essential" backup from one of your drives.

Or if you decide you don't want some of your software and you want to start fresh use your "Windows Base" backup and start over.

Use either Acronis or AX64 Time Machine and in 4-8 minutes your restored with your backup.

Good luck and IF I've done something wrong, or you have a better procedure please pass it on to me.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Why don't just :
  • Install Windows
  • Update Windows
  • Install and update all of your favorite software
  • Defragment system partition
  • Create a backup image of system partition and store it on external HDD
  • If anything goes wrong, restore from a backup using bootable CD/USB
  • Restoring process ~ 15min (on my machine, which is quite old)
Cheers ;)

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
Why don't just :
  • Install Windows
  • Update Windows
Cheers ;)

I understand your point....

BUT I do it in increments so at any point I can start clean.

I don't have to uninstall Norton and hope I got all it's junk off my PC so I can install Eset...

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Well, that is your approach and it's ok. For me personally, @BoraMurdar approach is easier and save a lot of time and nerves. Windows is much more secure and reliable than before.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
I do similar thing. Initial clean backup is the right thing to do (followed by incremental of full images when you need them). I can't imagine using computer without them :). Though I find EaseUS and O&O solutions suites me better than Acronis.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I like reading about the different approaches (options we can choose) in order to get similar benefits, the greatest of which (for me) is understanding more clearly this area of concern & safety that has too often left me feeling :confused:..well, like I've been missing the mark!!:oops:;) :D

Reactions: Ali80

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Nothing wrong on any different approach of backup process or doing increments snapshot as long you don't leave the important thing at all: Bootable CD/DVD of the operating system in case of problem arise.

Since its a very essential at all matters, sometimes in order to restore something is by using any bootable storage devices.

rodm177

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
Nothing wrong on any different approach of backup process or doing increments snapshot as long you don't leave the important thing at all: Bootable CD/DVD of the operating system in case of problem arise.

Since its a very essential at all matters, sometimes in order to restore something is by using any bootable storage devices.

Yes that is why I make a bootable USB with Acronis and AX64 Time Machine. I can boot from bios with either one.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I agree with BoraMurder. I have used Macrium Relect to preform the actions he suggests for 10 years.
I always have at least 6 images on my 1TB seagate external drive. I save the oldest and the latest and delete some of
the ones in between. I can be back up and running just like the day I created the image. Macrium has bailed me out of trouble many times
Shame on you Cats. Surely you are backing up your OS. We talked about doing that many moons ago!;);)

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
Why don't just :
  • Install Windows
  • Update Windows
Cheers ;)

I use this approach and never had any issues. But I have an internal HDD specifically to house backups (File/Folder and partition images). A copy of that very same Acronis/Macrium/Paragon backups are on an external drive. To restore/recover I either use Yumi made bootable USB or the F11 Acronis Function.

Reactions: BoraMurdar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.