I Totally Turned Off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
May 16, 2017
Yesterday I posted about using Comodo Firewall and a Cloud AV.

So today I setup Comodo Firewall as proactive, turned off it's hips, and AV, just leaving the firewall, I installed Panda AV Pro, and turned off Panda's firewall.

But Panda kept turning windows firewall back on. So I went into Gpedit, the registry, services and control panel and completely turned off Windows Firewall and Windows defender.

Leaving me with Panda Cloud, Comodo Firewall, and SmadAV (Pro Version)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yesterday I posted about using Comodo Firewall and a Cloud AV.

So today I setup Comodo Firewall as proactive, turned off it's hips, and AV, just leaving the firewall, I installed Panda AV Pro, and turned off Panda's firewall.

But Panda kept turning windows firewall back on. So I went into Gpedit, the registry, services and control panel and completely turned off Windows Firewall and Windows defender.

Leaving me with Panda Cloud, Comodo Firewall, and SmadAV (Pro Version)
There are reports that on certain versions of Windows 10, turning off windows firewall at the service level interferes with several other windows processes that are dependent on it, such as windows update.
Better to just turn off windows firewall from control panel.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

There are reports that on certain versions of Windows 10, turning off windows firewall at the service level interferes with several other windows processes that are dependent on it, such as windows update.
Better to just turn off windows firewall from control panel.

Disabling Windows Firewall via services or group policy edits can break Windows 10. In fact, it can break it so badly you may be forced to do a refresh of it. It should never be force-disabled, only disable it through the control panel which allows Windows 10 to turn it on itself as needed/if needed.

D

Deleted member 178

You shouldn't need to disable Win FW by GP or reg tweak.
If the 3rd party FW didn't disable it itself and keep turning it on , there is a good reason...

Typical "i think i know what im doing" kind of behavior...(but in fact you don't).

And if the Win FW service is disabled, that is even worse...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.