Advice Request I uninstalled Bitdefender TS - Heavy & Buggy. Money lost! - Is this normal?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
it would freeze my PC. i would get 100% disk usage for no reason.

then 100% ramm usage, then 100% cpu usage.

i could not use voodooshield or secureaplus or osarmour with it.

bitdefender is too heavy on my system.

i5, 2.7 ghz cpu. 8gb ramm. windows 10 home.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It doesn't seem like BitDefender should do that to your specific hardware. Of course, every system is an universe. The best option here is to re-install the software in a clean way, like RevoUninstaller, and then re-install it.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have a Bitdefender Total Security license to use in Autopilot mode in computers I know the user doesn't know enough to answer any question from the software. One of those is my father-in-law's computer, a 2nd generation I3 running Windows 7. It works with no problems in his computer.

That's why I always advocate people should use the trial period of any security software they plan to buy. By all reports in the internet his computer should be a hell to use, with constant slowdowns and bugs. Yet, as I said, he has no problems at all.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Bitdefender (along with Kaspersky) has dominated the tests for maybe a decade. It's really good and powerful -- if it works for you.

Because it's done so well, I installed it a while back. I intended to move all my family computers to Bitdefender. And periodically, it's priced really well too.

But.... yep, it was buggy on my first system. I couldn't ever seem to get it smoothed out. So I abandoned it.

But if it works on your system -- it's really an effective AV.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
I have a Bitdefender Total Security license to use in Autopilot mode in computers I know the user doesn't know enough to answer any question from the software. One of those is my father-in-law's computer, a 2nd generation I3 running Windows 7. It works with no problems in his computer.

That's why I always advocate people should use the trial period of any security software they plan to buy. By all reports in the internet his computer should be a hell to use, with constant slowdowns and bugs. Yet, as I said, he has no problems at all.
i used the free version. it was fine. i used the trail version for about 20 days. then i got a deal on bitdefender for $20. i got it fast. i thought my problem was windows 10. it took me over 1 month to realize that it was BD.

how do i get my money back? i am afraid to re-install BD. it caused me to do multiple forced shut down's. i took it to a computer repair store. $80.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
i used the free version. it was fine. i used the trail version for about 20 days. then i got a deal on bitdefender for $20. i got it fast. i thought my problem was windows 10. it took me over 1 month to realize that it was BD.

how do i get my money back? i am afraid to re-install BD. it caused me to do multiple forced shut down's. i took it to a computer repair store. $80.

You seem to have done everything correctly by trying the free version then the trial. Bitdefender have a forum (you will need to register if you are not already ) Home & Home Office Protection and ask there about getting a refund but they are very slow to reply or reinstall it briefly and i'm sure there is a support button from withing the interface of BD. I do remember someone on here getting a refund from them but unfortunately i don't know who it was. I used it up until about 2015 and it was great then it just kept going downhill.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Interesting in-depth story, thanks for sharing. What do you think of Windows Defender Antivirus in comparison to Bitdefender Free Antivirus?

I know @carsten ibsen runs a plethora of Real-time Antivirus alongside Bitdefender, and many VPN services all at once, but haven't witnessed any complaints - so far.
windows defender was heavy on my system. bitdefender made every thing heavy on my system. bitdefender was far heavier. i got my $20 back. i now have avast free and comodo firewall with cruel sisters settings.

i think bitdefender 2017 was good, but 2018, not so much.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
tumblr_p8w5czABum1tornnko3_500.gif

Give back my money BD!

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
windows defender was heavy on my system. bitdefender made every thing heavy on my system. bitdefender was far heavier. i got my $20 back. i now have avast free and comodo firewall with cruel sisters settings.

i think bitdefender 2017 was good, but 2018, not so much.
i meant BD total security WAS HEAVY.

BD free was on windows 7. i did not notice a slow down.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
If you want lightweight solution gor for ESET. Avast is full of crap and will make you go crazy
ESET does not perform well on any testing site, like av-test, etc.

ESET does not perform any better than avast free in the malware hub.

but thanks for the advice.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
av-test also gave bitdefender 5 stars for performance but it is not quite like that right?

If you don't open all email attachments, if you don't click on every naked babe you see and if you download and install software from company site then you should be fine with most AVs.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I also had BIS installed for many years.Since i changed,before 1 month to CIS,i realized my system became faster at browsing,Windows Update and Windows Boot.Although I think it's a very good product,for keeping a computer safe,the slowdown thing is an issue, must be solved.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
it would freeze my PC. i would get 100% disk usage for no reason.

then 100% ramm usage, then 100% cpu usage.

i could not use voodooshield or secureaplus or osarmour with it.

bitdefender is too heavy on my system.

i5, 2.7 ghz cpu. 8gb ramm. windows 10 home.
This is end result if you buy an AV without using their trial. Bit defender is a bit laggy and heavy on some architectures
100% CPU Spike is something odd which i have never come across. Stay with free if you feel satisfied

Reactions: Brie and Jack

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
ESET does not perform well on any testing site, like av-test, etc.

ESET does not perform any better than avast free in the malware hub.

but thanks for the advice.
AV-TEST is a scrap..take it light
ESET is one among the best in signatures..cloud response is good as well
Most of the third party testing methods are in appropriate and useless. Choosing an AV based on that is going nuts(n)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.