Advice Request I use ESET along with an Anti-Malware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I installed ESET Smart Security 9 on my laptop, my question is, can I install an Anti-Malware? I was thinking of installing Malwarebytes.

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I installed ESET Smart Security 9 on my laptop, my question is, can I install an Anti-Malware? I was thinking of installing Malwarebytes.
Yes Its always recommended to have a SECOND OPINION a.k.a Portable Malware scanner with Realtime... But Make sure u don't use 2 Programs in REALTIME as it will give Problamatic by each program interfarance ...

best alternatives to MBAM are
ZAM
EEK
Hitman.pro
Crystal Security!

regards

Reactions: Jrs30

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Long time Eset user here.
Malwarebytes is not a primary antivirus program, it is designed to be a secondary layer of protection supplementing your existing main security suite.I was a user of Malwarebytes in the past, whether you use it as on-demand or with realtime protection,there were no conflicts noticed. The only 'real' conflict that Malwarebytes had with Eset was when it's MBAM 2.0 version was released and the startup services would overlap during boot.But that was long back. Although it will work great with any AV at default setting check this guide on how to exclude it's services from other scanners(for both 32 and 64 bit):
How to Run Malwarebytes Alongside Another Antivirus

Also there is an advanced setting in MBAM which lets you delay the protection module startup just to avoid any conflicts.The advanced settings tab in MBAM offers a lot of customizations which can help improve security and it's performance in conjunction with AV :
https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/AdvancedSettings.html

Please note it is not advisable to run two antivirus or two secondary scanners with realtime simultaneously. E.g. If you use MBAM with realtime you can use Zemana AntiMalware Free without realtime protection and vice-versa.That's where the real problem can arise.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes you can run an anti-malware as companion based, other alternatives can be SecureAplus or Crystal Security. But there is always a catch, where better to configure the program itself and observe.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I personally like using Avast and Malwarebytes. But anything + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is great. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There will be no problems running ESS9 and installing Malwarebytes Antimalware. You would also have no problems running MBAM Pro in real time if you really wanted to however I always run ESS with MBAM on demand as personally ESS real time protection is enough on it's own for me.
I have run ESS with many different on demand scanners installed without any problems.I have even run ESS alongside WSA without any problems with exceptions made.
The important point here is yes you can install MBAM,EEK,Zemana or any other AM program and it is advisable to have a couple of these installed to run periodic scans in case your real time protection missed something

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.