I want to add another tool to my arsenal

UsernameAffair

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2017
Hello, I am not a novice computer user, but would like advice on adding another program to help protect against malware, I have never used any HIPS, SRP etc.. Only have ever been a AV user

So I currently have Avast and sandboxie, but have been looking more in depth at other options such as: HIPS, software restriction policy, anti executable and BB etc.. But not sure which is right for me, I only want to use one more of the aforementioned.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Research and try out different options and see what's best for your needs. VoodooShield is a popular and effective and free tool, why not start there? It won't mess up your system. If you decide you don't like it, you just uninstall it and life goes on.

If you don't want headaches, and lots of remnants left on your system after uninstall, then stay away from Comodo Firewall.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Does anyone use a Heimdal Pro? Is it a good to protect a system against malware/ransomware
Heimdal Pro concentrate on proactive security. I know from reviews that this product isn't good.
The website says that Heimdal blocks attacks that AV's doesn't block. So it is a product that need to work with a second AV.

UsernameAffair

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2017
You could have a look at VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock. it is a very handy tool to have.

Also you could fillout all the fields in the SCW so more help could be applied.

I'll try it out, thanks. What do you mean by SCW?

Research and try out different options and see what's best for your needs. VoodooShield is a popular and effective and free tool, why not start there? It won't mess up your system. If you decide you don't like it, you just uninstall it and life goes on.

If you don't want headaches, and lots of remnants left on your system after uninstall, then stay away from Comodo Firewall.

I'll give VS a try. I already read up on HIPS solutions and anti-execs and found that it's similar to SRP (appguard) and don't quite get a BB solution as most say it's the same as HIPS. I was looking more for real world experience on the solutions used as well as some names to look into.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Personally, I prefer Comodo Firewall @CS config over Voodooshield, as it shows less popups. Just don't forget to change the configuration of Comodo firewall from 'proactive' to 'firewall' before an uninstall or sometimes it won't go as smoothly.
VS is also a nice addition to your arsenal. As both products are free it doesn't hurt to try them and see which one would you prefer.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I'll try it out, thanks. What do you mean by SCW?

I'll give VS a try. I already read up on HIPS solutions and anti-execs and found that it's similar to SRP (appguard) and don't quite get a BB solution as most say it's the same as HIPS. I was looking more for real world experience on the solutions used as well as some names to look into.
See here. PC Security Configuration

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Avast is more then enough ... i would only go for another antimalware soft such as MBAM or Zemana . Or go with Zonealarm Firewall pro . It plays well with AVAST

Reactions: Weebarra

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I am a world class cynic, so believe me, I don't trust most programs to protect me. I rely now almost fully on backups. If the other programs help me out, I see the world with slightly more sunshine and puppies.

Rollback Rx is my fave backup tool, it's fast, effective, and (depending which version you get) free.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.