Advice Request I want to exorcise the ghost of comodo

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
A few months have passed since I uninstalled comodo. I used the official uninstall software, but their specters are still present in the event viewer.

キャプチャ.PNG

Please let me know if there is a solution. I disabled the event log and manually deleted the files, but they come back many times.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I uninstall Comodo Firewall, I make sure that wscript is not blocked by any another security software or Windows tweak.
Then, I make sure after reboot to sign into the user account with admin privileges.
These two steps are necessary because Comodo runs a clean-up script after reboot, and the script is somehow tied to the admin account. The script, if allowed to run, will usually remove all traces.
However, Comodo "Security Essentials" might not be removed, because it is considered a separate software that is optionally bundled with Comodo Firewall.
Things may be different with CIS. I don't have enough experience with it to say.

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for everyone's posts. Thank you, wonderful friends!:love:👍👍👍👍
@BVLon
My text was ambiguous and made me misunderstand. Sorry.😉
The uninstaller I used was the removal tool you taught. It seems that it can be uninstalled without any problem, but it will not be completely clean. I think the reason is almost correct with @shmu26 pointed out.

I used regedit. When I searched for it, I found a lot of wreckage like a comodo grave. I only installed fw, but most of them were registered in the registry under the name cis. And as @shmu26 pointed out, the remains of KillSwich and cce were also left behind.
2222.PNG

It was also left in a place like this. There was so much wreckage that I managed to get rid of it by deleting only those keys that were likely to be relevant to the log. I found a lot more garbage in the registry finder out of curiosity, but I decided to leave it there. It's too much trouble. :p

show-Zi

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I will write it down for chicks with similar problems in the future.
⛔ Uninstalling comodo is a curse. It gives birth to many invisible ghosts.
⛔The official removal tool is a tool that does not completely eliminate the existence but avoids problems such as connection failure after uninstallation.
⛔If you want to uninstall it surely, using regedit is mandatory. It lets you recognize invisible things as entities, like Six Senses.

Previously, Kaspersky, which was removed with the official removal tool, was completely erased. Comodo should be a bit emulated.:unsure:
@Burrito
The chick had such an experience and became a little chicken.🐣Chirp 🐥Chirp🐓
😉👍

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The best way to uninstall invasive security programs is by restoring the system image you wisely made before you installed it. I installed Comodo Firewall a couple days ago, and you can be sure I took a system image beforehand. But Comodo has been behaving itself pretty well, so I didn't feel the need to nuke it yet. I use a customized config that works pretty well.
ComodoFix - Set up COMODO for Trouble-free Protection!

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Run Autoruns from sysinternals and delete everything with the name Comodo, then use that 'Search everywhere' Portable app, right click run as admin, then type in Comodo and delete everything it finds. You may have to reboot once you've deleted some Comodo files so you can remove the rest.

The best way to uninstall invasive security programs is by restoring the system image you wisely made before you installed it. I installed Comodo Firewall a couple days ago, and you can be sure I took a system image beforehand. But Comodo has been behaving itself pretty well, so I didn't feel the need to nuke it yet. I use a customized config that works pretty well.
ComodoFix - Set up COMODO for Trouble-free Protection!
I'm finding CF with tweaked settings to be good too. It's behaving great my end.

B

BVLon

I will write it down for chicks with similar problems in the future.
⛔ Uninstalling comodo is a curse. It gives birth to many invisible ghosts.
⛔The official removal tool is a tool that does not completely eliminate the existence but avoids problems such as connection failure after uninstallation.
⛔If you want to uninstall it surely, using regedit is mandatory. It lets you recognize invisible things as entities, like Six Senses.

Previously, Kaspersky, which was removed with the official removal tool, was completely erased. Comodo should be a bit emulated.:unsure:
@Burrito
The chick had such an experience and became a little chicken.🐣Chirp 🐥Chirp🐓
😉👍
Comodo's overall user experience is bad from installation to uninstallation. That was reflected in 2 posts that I did lol

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As long as there aren't any active processes or drivers still running, it is probably just a matter of digital tidiness. It is common for security software to leave behind its footprints.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.