I want to install Avast on my mom's pc but not sure if I should. My problem is what do I not install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
She already has Emsisoft Anti-Malware but I am guessing that is not enough and runs as a limited user on Windows 10.

My problem is all the options in Avast. Like the web shield, etc. Does she need all of that? If not can anyone post a screenshot of what to check off and install and what not to please? Thanks. It would really help.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
If she runs Emsisoft Anti-Malware (paid version of course, not on demand), I think she is already safe without switching to Avast.

Yep it is paid! Sorry for not mentioning that. Anyway that is good to know! Thanks.

So is Emsisoft Anti-Malware paid like antivirus too ? Remember this is Emsisoft Anti-Malware not Emsisoft Internet Security.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Emsisoft Antimalware is actually antivirus in traditional sense. I was confused myself until a few months back. Its not a complementary security like Zemana or Malwarebytes or HMP but a full antivirus security.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
And also worth mentioning, for the future, you should not install 2 AVs with realtime protection, on the same machine, at the same time. Disabling one or the other (or modules) in some occasions it's not enough and might conflict with each other even in this case.

Disabling stuff in security products does not always mean the feature "will do nothing as it is completely disabled". Data may still be very well collected, even processed, and just the "actions, alerts, logging" etc. gets disabled, thus the (possible) conflicts. And I didn't get to the performance part, nagging, ads, updates etc. having 2 active AVs...

Your mom is just fine with Emsisoft, btw :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.