Advice Request I want to upgrade my exist build I5 6600K

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Hello,
please help me decide I noticed that my CPU in most of games like BF1, GTA V and CPU intensive games peaked at 100% and it is bottleneck my GPU 1070, my friend advised me to sell my pc for 631$ and upgrade to ryzen 1700 or 2700 I need your help to choose the motherboard and should I go with intel or AMD I am so confused I need processor that last for very long time about 7 years without need for upgrade about the motherboard should I go with MSI or ASUS cause my gigabyte motherboard Z170x I faced some problem with it like boot loop and fixed by sending the motherboard to repair shop I don't want this happen again on the new build.And thank you so much

Reactions: vtqhtr413

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Bad idea. You are not going to get more frames from the 1700 for sure and neither for the 2700. If you want more frames only way is to go to a higher end intel cpu. The amd might give you more consistent fps but the difference will not be worth it to upgrade if all you care is gaming.
Did you try overclocking your cpu a bit with some better cooling before you go start buying stuff?

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
so it is better to get 8700K better than 2700X for gaming and will it last for long time ? cause my 6600K is killing me here it is always 100% usage in BF1

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
so it is better to get 8700K better than 2700X for gaming and will it last for long time ? cause my 6600K is killing me here it is always 100% usage in BF1
You forgot the part i said overclock your current cpu first before you waste money trying something else.
The 2700x as i said will have more consistent fps but you didn't mention if you care about fps because you have a high refresh monitor or you just want it to not be laggy even if the fps is not higher.
Personally, i don't think the 8700k is a good idea neither the 9700k because they cost too much for what they offer. You need to explain what exactly you want.

Reactions: Vasudev

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Forget about CPU usage. If your GPU usage is in the range of 90-100% most of the time then you don't need a CPU upgrade right now. i5 6600K is more than sufficient for most of the games out now especially when you overclock it.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I overclocked my CPU to 4.5GH but nothing so much changed the GPU in BF1 usage is about 60 to 70 % didn't reach to 90s and CPU is always 100% my monitor refresh rate is 60 HZ so I enable V-sync and play on 60 frames but I still strong CPU that last for long time without need to upgrade.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I overclocked my CPU to 4.5GH but nothing so much changed the GPU in BF1 usage is about 60 to 70 % didn't reach to 90s and CPU is always 100% my monitor refresh rate is 60 HZ so I enable V-sync and play on 60 frames but I still strong CPU that last for long time without need to upgrade.
If you can wait until mid next year new amd cpu will be out that will probably be a lot better. If you can't wait and want something to last go with the 2700x and it should be fine for 60hz. Don't expect 200 fps though or something.
As for lasting 7 years none can predict how games will change in that time and if current cpu will be able to deal with them at any good level. After the 3-4 year mark your cpu should be irrelevant on high settings, which i assume you use, regardless of what you buy.
tl;dr go with the 2700x if you can't wait but don't expect miracles

Reactions: CyberTech

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Okay. Thank you so much I will wait till next year cause also Intel will release 10nm chip which I believe it will be better in games but could you please tell me which motherboard manufacturer is the best MSI or ASUS ?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Okay. Thank you so much I will wait till next year cause also Intel will release 10nm chip which I believe it will be better in games but could you please tell me which motherboard manufacturer is the best MSI or ASUS ?
There is no best. They all produce better and worse motherboard based on budget.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
okay. so let's say motherboard in 200$ budget which brand should I go with ? cause I faced boot loop problem with gigabyte motherboard z170x gaming 7 and I don't want to see it again

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
If you got time i would wait till intel get cpu without the need for "software"patches for spectre, meltdown, Intel management whatever on the market.
Look for a mainboard you want and reseach "mainboardname problems" on bing/google to see if a specific problem is always mentioned. Atleast if the mainboard is a bit older there should be enough info.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I think your friend dont know about gaming PC, he/she's wrong! mines i5-4690k and the gtx 960 with 4GB i always play GTA V so yea 100% CPU

Read this > Cpu Is At 80-100% While Playing Games - [Solved] - CPUs scroll down...

edit: Your CPU and GPU are good then mines...

I get 60 FPS but I see many FPS drop if the frames dropped to 58 the game become unplayable many people said to me might your motherboard has a problem and what made me suspect more that the motherboard had a bootloop issue and fixed by sending the motherboard to repair shop it happen three times I noticed that when I enable secure boot after few days the problem occurs the repair shop said it something with electricity in motherboard that I couldn't understand also when I tried to update the BIOS the BIOS update stuck in the mid of the operation the second phase which updating the backup BIOS in Gigabyte's motherboard it stuck for an hour so I decided to restart the PC it start then shut down for 3 times then worked fine and every time I try to update the BIOS the BIOS update stuck and I have to restart the PC in the middle of the BIOS update which made me suspect that there is a problem in my motherboard BIOS.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@CyberTech Im on a ryzen atm myself but i still would like to have a higher singlecore speed since games often don't care about more cores but high mhz :/

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
okay. so let's say motherboard in 200$ budget which brand should I go with ? cause I faced boot loop problem with gigabyte motherboard z170x gaming 7 and I don't want to see it again
When you are actually buying make a topic so you can get help. There is no better brand just better models.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
If you got time i would wait till intel get cpu without the need for "software"patches for spectre, meltdown, Intel management whatever on the market.
Look for a mainboard you want and reseach "mainboardname problems" on bing/google to see if a specific problem is always mentioned. Atleast if the mainboard is a bit older there should be enough info.
Sure I was planning to wait till next year until Intel and AMD release their new CPUs that are free from specter and meltdown security issue but when AMD will release their new ryzen CPUs ?

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
When you are actually buying make a topic so you can get help. There is no better brand just better models.
But my Gigabyte motherboard made me suffer so much because of boot loop issue also when I tried to message them on facebook they gave me dead link for their support and after that they banned me so I decided not to buy anything from them again their customer support is the worst I talked with ASUS support they was better in treatment so MSI was good too.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
@CyberTech Im on a ryzen atm myself but i still would like to have a higher singlecore speed since games often don't care about more cores but high mhz :/
My friend has Ryzen 2600 and he is so happy with it he has 750TI but he is planning to upgrade to 1070TI but still I see Intel is better in gaming but the price made AMD the winner here he bought Ryzen because extra cores and it's price.

Reactions: CyberTech

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
But my Gigabyte motherboard made me suffer so much because of boot loop issue also when I tried to message them on facebook they gave me dead link for their support and after that they banned me so I decided not to buy anything from them again their customer support is the worst I talked with ASUS support they was better in treatment so MSI was good too.
You had a bad support experience and i understand not wanting to buy again. No worries though there are lots of brands. When it's time to buy you can decide which one to get and you can exclude gigabyte.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.