IBM's Model F mechanical keyboard is being resurrected

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
IBM's iconic Model F keyboard is making a comeback. Debuting in 1981, It was the first keyboard to use the buckling spring mechanical switch. Most modern mechanical switches are said to be based on its mechanism.

A keyboard enthusiast and long time Model F owner, Joe Strandberg is taking preorders for his new Model F Keyboards Project. According to him, many people consider the buckling spring the best keyboard switch for typing. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find a keyboard with the switch these days.

Buckling springs provide an incredibly tactile response when pressed. It's very similar to Cherry's MX Blue and MX Green switches but, unlike them, the spring buckles slightly instead of contracting vertically. It's worth mentioning that Cherry MX key switches are very popular in the market and many manufacturers have started to make their own Cherry MX clones.

The project aims to initially deliver four different keyboard models. The two F77 variants follow the 'tenkeyless' design although they retain numeric keys above the arrow key cluster, while the F62 models leverage the 60% layout. The keyboards are more compact compared to the original Model F but they still retain its tank-like, all metal build.

The base configuration of each model starts from $325 and can go up to $399 after customization with preorders for keyboards open until July 31, 2017. Although the first batch of the keyboards is in production already, the shipping date is yet to be announced.

Source: Popular Mechanics | Image: Model F Project

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It sounds very annoying to me. Could not put up with that for too long. Why would someone invent such a thing. o_O
They typing feel way cleaner while typing and you improve your speed pretty easily. Also it helps gamers with anti ghosting so they can press as many keys as they want simultaneously and fast. Issue here is price because no way this s**t is worth $300 when most mechanical keyboard like this cost mostly $100. I don't see a point in buying this over an mx key keyboard with half the price because i can guarantee you that you will not notice the difference.
About the sound you can lower it by just installing some o-rings but you can sure hear it more than a normal keyboard. I really love my mechanical keyboard regardless and it was a well worth investment.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
That's all I use is mechanical keyboards. I had 3 of the Avanti stellars, and they were pricey at $175. You can have them repaired but it's not cost effective. I bought an inexpensive Piktec keyboard, and I love it. I like the feel, the sound doesn't bother me.

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
I already have one of them, came together with my PC (from my old times).
Although bought in 80s it is still working perfect.

Reactions: SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.