Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Identity Thieves Hijack Cellphone Accounts to Go After Virtual Currency

Hackers have discovered that one of the most central elements of online security — the mobile phone number — is also one of the easiest to steal.

In a growing number of online attacks, hackers have been calling up Verizon, T-Mobile U.S., Sprint and AT&T and asking them to transfer control of a victim’s phone number to a device under the control of the hackers.

Once they get control of the phone number, they can reset the passwords on every account that uses the phone number as a security backup — as services like Google, Twitter and Facebook suggest.

“My iPad restarted, my phone restarted and my computer restarted, and that’s when I got the cold sweat and was like, ‘O.K., this is really serious,’” said Chris Burniske, a virtual currency investor who lost control of his phone number late last year.

Identity Thieves Hijack Cellphone Accounts to Go After Virtual Currency

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Security triangle's payback time. Americans wanted everything easy and this is the result.
In Europe, you can not get it without providing ID and actually going there personally.

Attachments

• Security Triangle.png
    Security Triangle.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 331

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Security triangle's payback time. Americans wanted everything easy and this is the result.
In Europe, you can not get it without providing ID and actually going there personally.
The power of social engineering on a land of fools

Reactions: SHvFl

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
The power of social engineering on a land of fools

Not including US members of MT. I might have been born and raised in the US but i will not be included in this "land of fools". Don't take this as an attack against what you said.

As @SHvFl stated, this has to be a targeted attack so your chance of it happening to you would be very slim if it happens at all.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It actually says in the article itself that it is a targeted attack, usually against known traders in bitcoins. But it's interesting, nonetheless.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.