Idiots burn down multiple 5G masts due to Fake News

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The top four UK mobile operators have issued a joint statement asking for help to stop people burning 5G towers.
Multiple cell towers were targeted in the UK last week in apparent arson attacks, after online conspiracy theories have been falsely linking the spread of the coronavirus pandemic to the roll out of 5G. There’s no scientific evidence to suggest a link, but the theories have been spreading widely on social networks like Facebook and Nextdoor.
5G phone masts are being set alight in the UK, after online conspiracy theories have misleadingly linked the cell towers to the coronavirus pandemic. The BBC reports that at least three 5G towers were set alight within the last week, and police and fire services were called to extinguish the flames.

A Vodafone UK spokesperson confirmed to The Verge that four cell towers were targeted in the past 24 hours. Police have now launched investigations into how the 5G towers caught fire. At least one tower in Birmingham, operated by EE, doesn’t even provide 5G services but was still set on fire.

1586171413855.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I wonder if these (.....) people know their phones wont work and as many now don't have a landline they will be unable to call for emergency help of whatever nature? Fire for instance?
Or when they need to phone for medical attention when thy get attacked by Corvid-19!

Despite all of the crazy stories that have been bought by some of my fellow country men and women over the last few years during the Brexit period, when I saw these stories emerging over this weekend I realised the impossible was happening. There are some very dumb people in the UK, even dumber than should be possible. I am considering asking for asylum away from the escapees from the asylum.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
since no one was caught or issued a statement as to why they were burnt down, the connection with that weird `covid19-comes-from-radiation' story is speculation. it is more likely, IMO, that people are concerned with the communist gov of china's connection with the 5G network and are pushing back against the UK government selling them out to a foreign entity that is hostile to individual freedoms. whatever the case, time will tell if they catch one of these guys. but I would think the likes of the IRS would be a more likely cause than the hypothesis that uneducated idiotic brits that are ignorant of science are causing the commotion. particularly considering that the UK has an excellent educational system where widespread stupid on this scale is unlikely with those that have been educated there. this type of slant on the story is what the BBC is known for, and is why they are no longer trusted. it will be interesting to follow this story to its endpoint when someone is caught and issues a statement or rationale.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
People should be charged with property destruction, along with pastors who continue to have physical meetings endangering others.
property rights are a western freedom, so you are correct that it is against the law to damage someone else's property and that should be punished. but you are too eager to give up your freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion. offer it up and they will take it.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
property rights are a western freedom, so you are correct that it is against the law to damage someone else's property and that should be punished. but you are too eager to give up your freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion. offer it up and they will take it.

We are in lockdown, there is a difference between forever limiting gatherings and putting the lives of many more immunocompromised and eldery at risk. I am waiting at home, out of a job, protecting those in the vicinity as well as myself from a very serious virus. You can have a gathering, there is no excuse that it can't be virtual. There are state reccomendations and closures going on and people are selfishly ignoring them. That is going to punish the country, and the world overall in terms of time and productivity wasted. Life is a right as well in western freedom.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
No one is going to lose their freedom of religion because they stayed home to save the vulnerable. That’s a bulk of what their religion is about. And that’s all I’ll say on that.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
people are concerned with the communist gov of china's connection with the 5G network and are pushing back against the UK government selling them out to a foreign entity that is hostile to individual freedoms.
I doubt it. Huawei has been a major supplier of equipment to UK telecoms since 2005 and no one outside of government ministers and intelligence agency staff had batted an eyelid until late 2019. Even if this were the case, telecoms have said that excluding Huawei from their networks could delay 5G rollout for another two years. Not to mention how disruptive and costly it'd be to have to tear out all their current Huawei equipment and replace it with competitors'; competitors who have constantly struggled to release equipment as advanced as Huawei's and whom charge vastly more for said equipment.

I think the more likely answer is that conspiracy theories thrive in periods of crisis, and Coronavirus is the biggest crisis most of us have ever seen. Couple that with the forced isolation that many are currently subjected to, which is damaging to mental health and ushers theorists online where they end up spending an increased amount of time on their favourite truther site listening to an unending barrage of newly dreamt up conspiracies about Coronavirus.
Also the empty streets aid in their willingness to commit these crimes as they'll believe they're less likely to be identified and prosecuted for doing so.

Reactions: upnorth

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
particularly considering that the UK has an excellent educational system where widespread stupid on this scale is unlikely with those that have been educated there.
While there are excellent educational opportunities here in the UK, I beg to differ on the possibilities that some people here are very likely to buy these theories. As I alluded to above recent times here have seen a number of fake, fake, fake news stories believed to some significant extent. I don't discount people being upset at being sold out to foreign entities, or annoyance at the way mainstream media reports the news here as being possible factors in this issue either.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The problem is 5GB is being implemented without being properly tested and studies showing health concerns are being ignored, just like all, who have signed 5G appeal (As of April 4, 2020, 324 scientists and doctors). UN Secretary General even admitted it thinking, that 5G stands for WiFi.

I beg to differ on the possibilities that some people here are very likely to buy these theories.
News like those coming at this time do not help though. :)
But I would not be so harsh on people, technically they are trying to follow "facts" and areas with 5G coverage are the most infected. Then again, those areas are the most populated, so it only makes sense. Every coin has two sides. They should make all facts known, not tainted to fit the agenda.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 91982017_2542239739373717_4075870053474500608_n.jpg
    91982017_2542239739373717_4075870053474500608_n.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 127

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
same category as pickled vegetables or talcum powder but not as dangerous as alcohol or processed meat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.