If my computer is on the same wifi as an infected pc, can my computer get infected?

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Hello, You have a bit of work to do, paranoid style.. should clean out that PC very nicely :D
Scan with:
MalwareBytes (go to protection and enable remove PUP's,PUM's and Rootkits)
AdwCleaner
Hitman Pro (Enable rootkit removal in settings) 30 day trial only
Avast (imo) (Enable Scan all packers,Hardened mode with Aggressive mode,and set heuristics to High) Go on settings and go on Components and uninstall any extensions you do not need. Keep the shields and Network scan should be handy for you ;)
Kaspersky Security Scan Free (Deep Scan)
Kaspersky Antivirus free trial
Norton Power Eraser (Should do the trick)
Zemana anti malware
Install uBlock Origin for Chrome ( if you have chrome)
I recommend keeping Avast,Hitman Pro,Malwarebytes and install Zemana or Norton Power Eraser when the Hitman Pro trial ends.

When I try to download zemana google says its a virus

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Hello, You have a bit of work to do, paranoid style.. should clean out that PC very nicely :D
Scan with:
MalwareBytes (go to protection and enable remove PUP's,PUM's and Rootkits)
AdwCleaner
Hitman Pro (Enable rootkit removal in settings) 30 day trial only
Avast (imo) (Enable Scan all packers,Hardened mode with Aggressive mode,and set heuristics to High) Go on settings and go on Components and uninstall any extensions you do not need. Keep the shields and Network scan should be handy for you ;)
Kaspersky Security Scan Free (Deep Scan)
Kaspersky Antivirus free trial
Norton Power Eraser (Should do the trick)
Zemana anti malware
Install uBlock Origin for Chrome ( if you have chrome)
I recommend keeping Avast,Hitman Pro,Malwarebytes and install Zemana or Norton Power Eraser when the Hitman Pro trial ends.

All for one file?
Cant I just scan it with malwarebytes and bitdefender and thats it?

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
All for one file?
Cant I just scan it with malwarebytes and bitdefender and thats it?
Well, not always. But sometimes, a virus call other virus, and crossed scans could be helpful.
Expecially if PCs are not well protected. (Or if you whitelist suspicious files)
Grab Zemana here. And no, it's not a virus Zemana - AntiMalware and AntiLogger Protection,
Well, if you use chrome, any exe is considered dangerous on save by default, even if it is clean.
And yes, put ublock origin in your browser; it reduces the risks on going to infected sites.

Of course, in most cases, I do:
Virustotal scan > An useful pre-check as it uses several AV engines.
AV scan (bitdefender in your case) > sometimes, other tools as MalwareBytes or Zemana sees better then regular antivirus. But basic scan is always a good practice.
Zemana and/or MalwareBytes scan.
Better scan everywhere (not just the file) both with AV and Zemana/MalwareBytes, when there is a suspect of infection.

Other tools are helpful, but usually if the infection is not spread, this will suffice.
There is even an online version of icy tower. Don't need anything on pc ;)
Maybe the icytower you have is softonic (known to bundle adwares)

Last edited:

idunno

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 24, 2017
Well, not always. But sometimes, a virus call other virus, and crossed scans could be helpful.
Expecially if PCs are not well protected. (Or if you whitelist suspicious files)
Grab Zemana here. And no, it's not a virus Zemana - AntiMalware and AntiLogger Protection,
Well, if you use chrome, any exe is considered dangerous on save by default, even if it is clean.
And yes, put ublock origin in your browser; it reduces the risks on going to infected sites.

Of course, in most cases, I do:
Virustotal scan > An useful pre-check as it uses several AV engines.
AV scan (bitdefender in your case) > sometimes, other tools as MalwareBytes or Zemana sees better then regular antivirus. But basic scan is always a good practice.
Zemana and/or MalwareBytes scan.
Better scan everywhere (not just the file) both with AV and Zemana/MalwareBytes, when there is a suspect of infection.

Other tools are helpful, but usually if the infection is not spread, this will suffice.
There is even an online version of icy tower. Don't need anything on pc ;)
Maybe the icytower you have is softonic (known to bundle adwares)
Virus total says its a virus

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It may depend on the malware type, but you consider wi-fi as a LAN and as such it behaves.
The data can travel "to and from" one of the PCs on this network, then the PC can establish communications between them and the exchange of files, such as a physical LAN network and in the same way, the malware can travel from one pc to another one.

Even if these PCs do not share the IP network, the problem persists because sharing a connection is a different concept.

Trying to simplify, if you have 3 computers, each of them has an IP address and any one of them could exchange data in several ways: directly or indirectly, taking advantage of the availability of the other PCs.
If one of these PC was infected, as a result, it may infect the other PCs.
For example, in a Token network, the packets are sent to all the PCs, while a "switch" establishes a point-to-point network, so a file (if any) will try to directly reach the requester.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.