If you don't use IE, should you disable Smartscreen on Windows 7?

Should you disable smartscreen on windows 7 if you don't use IE?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
smartscreen on Windows 7 is only for IE; if you never use IE , no need to enable it.

So here's the thing. For the shake of this, you are using Google chrome and don't use IE. Now you decided to turn off smartscreen on your windows 7 box because you don't use IE. From a security point of view, I see this as a bad idea but at the same time I can understand why one would turn it off.

D

Deleted member 178

you are using Google chrome and don't use IE. Now you decided to turn off smartscreen on your windows 7 box because you don't use IE. From a security point of view, I see this as a bad idea but at the same time I can understand why one would turn it off.

Are you serious, you need to learn what you are talking about...Smartscreen on Win7 is ONLY implemented in IE, it is not system-wide like in win8/10...

Do you buy a Playstation game , if you don't own a Playstation....? :rolleyes:

btw, i misclick on the poll, i vote yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I use Windows 7 and have a different approach. I blocked (imposible to run) iexplore.exe via Application Rules in EAM.

Will this not also disable Skype at the same time ?

I don't personally use Skype , but lots of people do .

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Are you serious, you need to learn what you are talking about...Smartscreen on Windows 7 is ONLY implemented in IE, it is not system-wide like in Windows 8/10...

Do you buy a Playstation game , if you don't own a Playstation....? :rolleyes:
If I recall correctly, smartscreen is on by default in IE. If you don't use IE why would you go into the effort in turning off smartscreen? That time could have been better used by doing something like what @WinXPert done.

Reactions: WinXPert

So here's the thing. For the shake of this, you are using Google chrome and don't use IE. Now you decided to turn off smartscreen on your windows 7 box because you don't use IE. From a security point of view, I see this as a bad idea but at the same time I can understand why one would turn it off.

If you're using a browser other than IE on W7, then it doesn't matter if you leave Smartscreen enabled or disable it.

I use Chrome on W7 and have never bothered to disable Smartscreen. What's the point of disabling it ? -- Nothing. What's the point of leaving it enabled ? -- Nothing -- if you never use IE.

To keep enabled or disable it when never using IE... this is an actual topic here at MT ?

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
btw, i misclick on the poll, i vote yes.
You can change your vote now.

If you're using a browser other than IE on W7, then it doesn't matter if you leave Smartscreen enabled or disable it.

I use Chrome on W7 and have never bothered to disable Smartscreen. What's the point of disabling it ? -- Nothing. What's the point of leaving it enabled ? -- Nothing -- if you never use IE.

That's it. Just leave it at default setting and call it a day.

Reactions: brambedkar59
D

Deleted member 178

If I recall correctly, smartscreen is on by default in IE. If you don't use IE why would you go into the effort in turning off smartscreen? That time could have been better used by doing something like what @WinXPert done.
Seriously?...you went against another member who disabled SS , so i told you , if he doesn't use IE what is the problem? You took my reply out of context, then you make that thread trying to prove what? it is bad to disable something i don't use? sorry but in my system i disable plenty of things i don't use , this is called optimization...

Your house has a swimming pool, but you will never use it, do you let the water in or you empty it to avoid cleaning the pool every day?

Reactions: WinXPert

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I wasn't having a go at anyone over this.
sorry but in my system i disable plenty of things i don't use , this is called optimization...
Sure I do the same on my machine. Cortana got the sack. What would you gain from disabling smartscreen? As @Lockdown said, nothing. You wouldn't free up your ram.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree Jeff, and would advise leaving it on, as Umbra so kindly points out it may not be system wide in Win 7, but leaving it on
is a good idea anyway. IMHO ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's up to you, if you don't use IE then the component of Smartscreen will not perform in action.

I should agree to @Umbra, Smartscreen in Windows 7 is for IE browser and not system wide; thus it does not affect any protection once you disabled it.

Although for safe keeping then leave it enabled, just in case a malicious file will open IE and download some droppers.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have not found a valid reason to Disable Windows Smartscreen for either Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer or Windows OS, therefore I suggest to Turn on Smartscreen.
  1. If you do not use Internet Explorer (latest update) on Windows 7 and still available on Windows, I recommend to Turn on Smartscreen.
  2. If you do not use Internet Explorer (latest update) AND it's disabled from Windows Features, then all settings are reset and the program have been removed from Windows OS.
  3. If you do use Internet Explorer (latest update) on Windows 7, then I recommend to Turn on Smartscreen.
On Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Windows Smartscreen provides system-wide and is switched on by default:
  • It does not replace your third-party Antivirus, or Windows Defender on Windows 10
  • It cannot perform a system file scan
  • It requires a permanent Internet connection to work
  • It has no performance impact and does not use resources compared to a full malware scanner
  • It provides a layered protection between the downloaded Internet files from your browser, antivirus and desktop
Final verdict: Turn on Smartscreen.

Hope you have found this of some help. :)

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Darn it !

That's the second time this week that I got suckered into chasing after ghosts in Windows .... [ only got myself to blame though :) ]

The first one was Appverif.exe and Appverif.chm

It's time that I could have better spent checking my belly for spots ....

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.