if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
if you upgrade to Win 10 from a OEM Win 8 Computer be aware

if you have a OEM Windows 8 computer (Hewlett-Packard,Acer,Toshiba ect.) and installed Windows 8.1
it adds a extra 350mb recovery partition

now if you had to restore back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery Partition the extra 350mb recovery
gets left on the hard drive

now from a fresh install back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery partition you upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds another 350mb recovery partition so now there is 2 350mb recovery partition and if you keep going back to Windows 8 from the OEM recovery partition and upgrade to Windows 8.1 it adds another

Windows defrag see's these 350mb recovery partition as Local Disk (\\?\VOLUME and can not defrag them

VirusAttak had this happen to him

Too Many Recovery Partitions
http://malwaretips.com/threads/too-many-recovery-partitions.32625/

i also found this

Too many recovery partitions Windows 8.1
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67348-too-many-recovery-partitions-windows-8-1-a.html

i'v asked this question at the Microsoft Community forum
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rtitions/a58f421f-fdfd-4d6d-bd58-82b8168e84f1

the Microsoft Support Engineer says that if i try to upgrade with the added 350mb partitions Windows 10 will not install and could be trouble and says i should Wipe the Hard drive and reinstall

ok i know how to do this but what about everyone else

to me i think people should know about this before Windows 10 is out

what do you think?

:)

James

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This strikes me (personally) as a very relevant and important point, Jim! Thank you for addressing this, something I was not aware of until :eek:now! It is certainly an important detail for many to be ready for in the event "..unable to complete installation":confused: happens to appear, and good to know why.:):)

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
thank you hjlbx

no deleting Windows.old is not the samething it gets deleted after a few weeks anyhow

hello and thank you Cats-4 nice to see you agin

i think Microsoft will say it is the falt of the Manufacturer

and the Manufacturer will say it is the falt of Microsoft

and me and others are stuck in the middle

if i can not get a ISO of Windows 10 and a Key from the Key of my Win 8 pc to wipe and install Windows 10 i'm stuck
on this Windows 8.1 pc that if i need a clean install of Windows i have to go back to Windows 8 and use the OEM recovery
partition just to have extra 350mb recovery partitions that i can not fix without braking something

without a Windows 8 or 8.1 dvd i'm stuck all i have is the OEM recovery partition to work with and still those 2 350mb recovery partition
still on the Hard drive

i do not think everyone that has had this happen knows about it and then they are going to install Windows 10 to a big surprise

James

H

hjlbx

thank you hjlbx

no deleting Windows.old is not the samething it gets deleted after a few weeks anyhow

hello and thank you Cats-4 nice to see you agin

i think Microsoft will say it is the falt of the Manufacturer

and the Manufacturer will say it is the falt of Microsoft

and me and others are stuck in the middle

if i can not get a ISO of Windows 10 and a Key from the Key of my Win 8 pc to wipe and install Windows 10 i'm stuck
on this Windows 8.1 pc that if i need a clean install of Windows i have to go back to Windows 8 and use the OEM recovery
partition just to have extra 350mb recovery partitions that i can not fix without braking something

without a Windows 8 or 8.1 dvd i'm stuck all i have is the OEM recovery partition to work with and still those 2 350mb recovery partition
still on the Hard drive

i do not think everyone that has had this happen knows about it and then they are going to install Windows 10 to a big surprise

James

Whatever you do... don't wipe your HDD ! Even if you re-install W8 or W8.1 using an authentic MS ISO with your OEM Widows key, you will never be able to upgrade to W10. I know that much...

That whole FUBAR situation is described over at http://forums.mydigitallife.info/

If you're gonna find any help with this matter it will be there. Got some really saavy users on that forum.

H

hjlbx

I will wait until the very last day to install W10.

W10 is gonna be something else, I think, with all manner of stuff to be sorted out... at least early on and with the usual rigmarole.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Who would be bouncing between recoveries and installs like that, I don't know.

This, and many other reasons, are why upgrades (vice wipe/install fresh from media) are a bad idea.

As far as who knows how to do that, well, you insert the media and boot and follow the terse instructions or call your friend who knows how (surely everyone knows a computer nerd by now).

500px-Revenge_of_the_nerds_2.jpg

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
"Who would be bouncing between recoveries and installs like that"

i'v read people that restore every month/and or year and some people would do this than use software to restore a image lol

James

H

hjlbx

i'v read people that restore every month/and or year and some people would do this than use software to restore a image lol

James

I've smashed my system so many times testing softs and malwares that there's no hope I'd ever be able to recall how many times I've clean installed OS...

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i have actually upgraded to build 10176 which is supposedly the first RTM RC build about an hour ago and i just read your post, checked and it is true, i have 2 350MB recovery partitions on my SSD now -.-

is it possible to know which one is windows 10's recovery to delete the other one? (im not planning to restore)
i also have a 450 MB partition at the end of the drive (instead of the start) labeled as "Recovery Partition" o_O

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I've smashed my system so many times testing softs and malwares that there's no hope I'd ever be able to recall how many times I've clean installed OS
That's what VirtualBox, et. al. is for!
System Images!
Work smarter, not harder. :mad:

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015

James
I created a system image using the built in one and use that if i ever need to do a clean install! it works for me and it saves installing lots of updates too

D

Deleted member 178

i deleted , long time ago, all my Win8 OEM partitions except the UEFI one. never had issue to reinstall Win8.1.1 from an iso.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
hello Umbra

from what i can see if i delete one of those 350mb partitions Windows 8.1 will bitch and not start right
without errors and i would lose my ability to use the factory restore partition to go back to Windows 8

i could get my Windows 8 KEY and wipe and reinstall i know this but thats not the problem

the problem is all the people this has happend to if thay upgrade to Windows 10 and has had this happen

as seen in this post #2 topgundcp says
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67348-too-many-recovery-partitions-windows-8-1-a.html

"If you have another HD then I would suggest to re-install the OS and get ready to upgrade to Windows 10.
Having too many reserved partitions might cause upgrade to Windows 10 to fail as seen in Windows 10 Forum."

to my this says others must know about this

James

D

Deleted member 178

hello Umbra

from what i can see if i delete one of those 350mb partitions Windows 8.1 will bitch and not start right
without errors
and i would lose my ability to use the factory restore partition to go back to Windows 8
James

yes, i had to install linux to fix the issue, of course i lost my recovery/restore feature but i don't care since i dont need Win8.0 anymore

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I'd love to install a fresh copy of windows 10, hope microsoft provides us the iso link otherwise will have to use my dreamspark account... (though windows 8.1 was manually installed on my hp)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
i had to install linux to fix the issue,
That's the scenic route! Boot into recovery tools, command line, "diskpart", delete partitions and "clean" (diskpart command) the disk

I'd love to install a fresh copy of windows 10, hope microsoft provides us the iso link
Nope. Upgrade, make your ISO, wipe/install. I'll have to wipe, install 7, upgrade, make ISO, wipe/install and I don't know if the same ISO will work on all 3 machines with all the key/activation business.

D

Deleted member 178

That's the scenic route! Boot into recovery tools, command line, "diskpart", delete partitions and "clean" (diskpart command) the disk

i was mad so i wanted go linux then linux failed me so i went back Win8.1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.