Last updated
Jan 3, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Real-time security
ESET Smart Security Premium 14.0.22.0
Firewall security
About custom security
Default settings
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Premium 4.3.0 with real time protection turned off and set for daily scan
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome with 1Password, Adblock Plus, Internet Download Manager and Antidote extensions for daily browsing
Firefox with 1Password, Adblock Plus, Internet Download Manager and Antidote extension for various browsing (mostly stuff I don’t want logged on my accounts)
Brave with uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger extensions for privacy browsing
Secure DNS
None
Desktop VPN
Malwarebytes Privacy VPN
Password manager
1Password desktop app
Maintenance tools
SUMo, DUMo, Revo Uninstaller Pro
File and Photo backup
kDrive (only for some documents and files)
Weekly back up to 2 HDD (one always connected and the other as a copy in case of failure)
System recovery
I never use recovery software as I encounter issues very rarely, and when I do I perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the USB
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
HP Pavilion Gaming
Intel i5-9400F
Nvidia GTX 1060
16 GB RAM
256gb SSD + 1 TB HDD
Wifi, bluetooth, HDMI, DVD player/recorder
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Starting 2021 with a pretty straightforward setup. First I’m really glad using ESET again, as it’s one of the few AVs to never cause any bugs and it’s very light on the system. Regarding Malwarebytes, I use the Premium version for setting automatic daily scans. As for the rest of my setup it’s kind of the same since a while, but as they say “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” ;)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Device recovery & settings, You may add a full Image System BackUp solution: Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Periodic Scanners, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and/or HitManPro Free.

In Browsers, You may add uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBlocker, more efficient than AdBlock Plus...

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@IkariGradius

You may like to add tools from "Windows Sysinternals" both tools including a feature for security purpose, if this option is enabled it's scanning automatically all files for detection on VirusTotal. "Autoruns" is even useful to check for drivers as leftover of uninstalled software...

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Device recovery & settings, You may add a full Image System BackUp solution: Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable.

In Periodic Scanners, You may add EmsiSoft Emergengy Kit and/or HitManPro Free.

In Browsers, You may add uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBlocker, more efficient than AdBlock Plus...

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)
Thanks for the tips. I'll make the change for the UAC and will be adding HitmanPro soon (I will update the post when I do). Regarding the recovery tools, I know it's often recommended but I don't like those as I'm OCD and tend to reformat should there be any issue. Also I do know uBlock Oirigin is hand down the best for malware protection (that's why I use it on Brave), however it tends to break sites where Adblock Plus will be weaker but usually doesn't cause any issues.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me and happy new year (y)

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
@IkariGradius

You may like to add tools from "Windows Sysinternals" both tools including a feature for security purpose, if this option is enabled it's scanning automatically all files for detection on VirusTotal. "Autoruns" is even useful to check for drivers as leftover of uninstalled software...

Looks interesting, I'll give it a look. Thanks and happy new year (y)

IkariGradius

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
The automatic daily scans isn't necessary if you have Eset realtime. I recommend you rather scan monthly instead or whenever you feel something isn't right.
Well that depends, Eset could miss a threat, and in that case Malwarebytes could catch it on the next kind. In any case Malwarebytes scans are light on the system and unlikely to put any significant strain on my SSD, so I kind of like my setup. Why wait until something's noticeably wrong if I can just have Malwarebytes checking it out daily ?

In any case thanks for the tip and happy new year (y)

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Regarding Privacy Badger:
Privacy Badger doesn't auto-learn to block new trackers by default anymore due to some security vulnerabilities in the way the heuristic learning works (more information in the article linked below). It instead now relies on a pre-trained tracker blocklist that is the same for everyone. You can still use the heuristic function if you choose to do so (and if you are fine with the potential security risk) but you will have to enable it in settings.
Source: Privacy Badger Is Changing to Protect You Better

Since you already use uBlock Origin along with Brave's built-in ad block, you can drop Privacy Badger.

As someone who used to use both uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger together, Privacy Badger did not block anything additional on top of what uBlock Origin already blocked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.