I'm looking for a software like VMware but not actually a VM..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbro00

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I'm looking for a window manager where I can open apps on it and have those programs inside said software. Just so it could help me manage multiple windows at once in just one window. I could use VMware but that would affect CPU load. A feature where I can save a session or open all windows when I close it would eb nice. But are there even any like that?

TLDR: VMware like software that's not virtual to avoid CPU load. Software that can run multiple apps on one window.

I'm looking for a window manager where I can open apps on it and have those programs inside said software. Just so it could help me manage multiple windows at once in just one window. I could use VMware but that would affect CPU load. A feature where I can save a session or open all windows when I close it would eb nice. But are there even any like that?

TLDR: VMware like software that's not virtual to avoid CPU load. Software that can run multiple apps on one window.

Shadow Defender

ytbro00

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Hi, all

No, not the virtual desktops. I'm talking about something like a window manager. Where I can have multiple apps open in that window alone. Here's the gist of it, I have multiple programs running on a VPN on VMware right now. The vmware window is on Desktop #3 (the virtual desktop) so it doesn't get too cluttered. I currently have several discord bots running, game servers, other apps, etc that adds up to about 20 - 30 windows. I use Desktop #1 and #2 for general use, work, gaming and stuff so I was looking for something that wouldn't pop me up about 20 - 30 windows when I switch to desktop #3 but rather just 1 window where I can select which app I want to view.

What I do like about VMWare however is that I can have all those windows open all at the same time, if I have to restart or turn off my pc for a while, I can just suspend the process, resume it then it automatically connects to the VPN and all apps are back on. I just minimize it after that, but it takes up about 30 - 40% CPU (That's VMware alone). When I don't use my PC, asleep or away, I don't use VMware just normal windows virtual desktop with all apps + VPN open and the whole system barely even uses 20%.

It'd be helpful to have a sandboxie / vmware like software where I can run VPN only for those specific apps since I need CPU power when I'm about to render my work.. I've tried using sandboxie to run my VPN but don't think that works because of the TAP driver that needs to be there too. Sandboxie is more of it just running the apps but still not the "window manager" I'm looking for. I'd probably just let the window manager thing slide if I can get the VPN working on it though.

I'll take a look at Shadow Defender in the meantime. Thanks for the answers!

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Hi, all

No, not the virtual desktops. I'm talking about something like a window manager. Where I can have multiple apps open in that window alone. Here's the gist of it, I have multiple programs running on a VPN on VMware right now. The vmware window is on Desktop #3 (the virtual desktop) so it doesn't get too cluttered. I currently have several discord bots running, game servers, other apps, etc that adds up to about 20 - 30 windows. I use Desktop #1 and #2 for general use, work, gaming and stuff so I was looking for something that wouldn't pop me up about 20 - 30 windows when I switch to desktop #3 but rather just 1 window where I can select which app I want to view.

It'd be helpful to have a sandboxie / vmware like software where I can run VPN only for those specific apps since I need CPU power when I'm about to render my work.. I've tried using sandboxie to run my VPN but don't think that works because of the TAP driver that needs to be there too. Sandboxie is more of it just running the apps but still not the "window manager" I'm looking for. I'd probably just let the window manager thing slide if I can get the VPN working on it though.

I'll take a look at Shadow Defender in the meantime. Thanks for the answers!
I wish there was a Sandbox app inside which drivers could be installed.

ytbro00

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I wish there was a Sandbox app inside which drivers could be installed.

Yup, I feel you there. would help a ton really. Which is why I was asking about this. lol. I was planning on using the window manager + VPN so that I'd be able to free up more CPU while I'm working. Unfortunately can't install drivers from there.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Macrium Reflect allows you to mount a system image and run it as if it was in a VM. Because in fact, it is using the native Windows Hyper-V capability.

If you want to run a 64x system image, you need to enable virtualization support in your BIOS/firmware.

Yup, I feel you there. would help a ton really. Which is why I was asking about this. lol. I was planning on using the window manager + VPN so that I'd be able to free up more CPU while I'm working. Unfortunately can't install drivers from there.

Drivers can be installed using Shadow Defender's Shadow Mode, but they did not persist the last time I tested it - which I think is what you want. That testing was probably 2 years ago.

ytbro00

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
Drivers can be installed using Shadow Defender's Shadow Mode, but they did not persist the last time I tested it - which I think is what you want. That testing was probably 2 years ago.
Ahhh. actually just checked shadow defender. Unfortunately not what I'm looking for since I have to keep rebooting again and doesn't actually virtualize or open on a different space while I'm working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.