41 - 50
Fav. Web Browser
Mozilla Firefox
Fav. Desktop OS
Windows
Fav. Antivirus
Trend Micro Internet Security
Fav. Videogame
Football--Patriots fan! If you mean electronic game, last one I played was PacMan!

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Hi, I'm new to MT and a staff member has been trying to help me clean up some Malware (Obrona).

I'm having trouble figuring out how to navigate around MT. Can someone dialogue with me to answer questions?

E.G.
1) How will I check to see if someone has responded to this?!
2) How do I pull up all my posts or help-in-progress? Right now I'm limited to waiting for an email saying someone replied and giving me a link.

I am moderately capable with my own PC, but obviously not very intuitive about getting around with software like what MT uses to manage things.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks for joining us here at MT! :)

If you would like a quick introduction to navigating this forum, please see the following spoiler.
You can visit the MRA on this forum if you have any issues with malware, and create a new thread where a expert malware removal assistant will help you: http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/

You can checkout the giveaways section and see if you can win any free security licenses here: http://malwaretips.com/categories/software-giveaways-and-promotions.118/ ;)

You can watch reviews from members of this forum and others on other products (security products, usually) here: http://malwaretips.com/categories/reviews-section.27/

You can create off-topic from security threads here and have some general chit chat with the community here: http://malwaretips.com/forums/space-bar.35/

You can view the create artwork (User Interface concepts) here: http://malwaretips.com/forums/artists-corner.95/

Answering your questions:
1). If you 'Watch thread' you will receive notifications directly in yor Alerts area. To watch a thread, click the 'Watch thread' link at the top of this thread. If you wish to unwatch it, click 'Unwatch thread' (it will change to this once you watch the thread).

ZQNjZ.jpg

Vn8MJ.jpg

(You also receive alerts for when someone quotes or tags you in a post, status update, ...).

2). Go to the thread you made for assisting malware help, and 'Watch thread'. This will allow you to be notified through the Alerts box whilst browsing MT. I have checked for you, and found the thread of yours: http://malwaretips.com/threads/cant-remove-obrona.41577/

Cheers, and welcome to MalwareTips community. ;)

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks. I've got the alerts working now, but when I click on the one pertaining to my malware removal help in progress, it doesn't show then entire dialogue between me and the person helping, in this case Argus.

I get that only a qualified person can be trusted to help me. Argus is helping me.

I'm having a LOT of trouble understanding Argus. Is English not his first language? or is he just speaking in some sort of super-geek shorthand? Are you able to look at the thread of exchanges between him and me and give me an opinion? I've been working with him back and forth for the last two days and seem to have accomplished nothing.

D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks. I've got the alerts working now, but when I click on the one pertaining to my malware removal help in progress, it doesn't show then entire dialogue between me and the person helping, in this case Argus.

I get that only a qualified person can be trusted to help me. Argus is helping me.

I'm having a LOT of trouble understanding Argus. Is English not his first language? or is he just speaking in some sort of super-geek shorthand? Are you able to look at the thread of exchanges between him and me and give me an opinion? I've been working with him back and forth for the last two days and seem to have accomplished nothing.
I don't think I should be commenting at all on the thread, here or there... But, for the sake of you getting your PC clean, I will.

I understood Argus's posts just fine, however this may be because I have experience with malware analysis and cleaning, and know how to use the tools. Therefore, for someone who doesn't (you), who has maybe never cleaned a PC from a infection before (with or without assistance) may find the steps trickier.

What Argus was saying was he wants you to do the following:

1. Download the "fixlist.txt" from the thread.
  2. Make sure the "fixlist.txt" and FRST.exe are in the same folder. For example, if you have a folder called "Farbar", both the "fixlist.txt" and "FRST.exe" have to be in this folder. If they are not in the same folder, FRST.exe won't be able to find "fixlist.txt" in that directory, which it will use for the fixing process.
  3. Once you have done the above, open up FRST.exe (with administrative rights).
  4. Due to the fact that "fixlist.txt" is in the same folder, clicking "Fix" will read the contents of "fixlist.txt" for the fixing process. Click the "Fix" button on the window to start the fixing/cleaning process.
  5. Once FRST has finished the fixing process, it will create another file in the directory the FRST.exe application was ran from, in other words, the same location that FRST.exe and the "Fixlist.txt" were stored, called "Fixlog.txt". Please find this file "Fixlog.txt", and upload it to the thread where you are being assisted by Argus.

Cheers, hope that helped. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tallorder

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
I don't think I should be commenting at all on the thread, here or there... But, for the sake of you getting your PC clean, I will.

I understood Argus' posts just fine, however this may be because I have experience with malware analysis and cleaning, and know how to use the tools. Therefore, for someone who doesn't (you), who has maybe never cleaned a PC from a infection before (with or without assistance) may find the steps trickier.

What Argus was saying was he wants you to do the following:

1. Download the "fixlist.txt" from the thread.
  2. Make sure the "fixlist.txt" and FRST.exe are in the same folder. For example, if you have a folder called "Farbar", both the "fixlist.txt" and "FRST.exe" have to be in this folder. If they are not in the same folder, FRST.exe won't be able to find "fixlist.txt" in that directory, which it will use for the fixing process.
  3. Once you have done the above, open up FRST.exe (with administrative rights).
  4. Due to the fact that "fixlist.txt" is in the same folder, clicking "Fix" will read the contents of "fixlist.txt" for the fixing process. Click the "Fix" button on the window to start the fixing/cleaning process.
  5. Once FRST has finished the fixing process, it will create another file in the directory the FRST.exe application was ran from, in other words, the same location that FRST.exe and the "Fixlist.txt" were stored, called "Fixlog.txt". Please find this file "Fixlog.txt", and upload it to the thread where you are being assisted by Argus.

Cheers, hope that helped. ;)

It does help some, but I'm still mystified. I did all of the above, a couple of times, at Argus's request. I got the impression that I did something wrong, but I have no idea because he won't answer any questions.

You are correct that my not being familiar with the lingo is part of the problem, but I'm sure you'd admit (tho' not in writing) that Argus's English is not good. E.g., "Do you can download this to desktop?" or "Run FRST and click FIX no scan, FIX."

As soon as he's finished (if we ever get there), I'm going to resign from MT. I can't deal with someone like him.

Ed

D

Deleted member 21043

It does help some, but I'm still mystified. I did all of the above, a couple of times, at Argus's request. I got the impression that I did something wrong, but I have no idea because he won't answer any questions.

You are correct that my not being familiar with the lingo is part of the problem, but I'm sure you'd admit (tho' not in writing) that Argus's English is not good. E.g., "Do you can download this to desktop?" or "Run FRST and click FIX no scan, FIX."

As soon as he's finished (if we ever get there), I'm going to resign from MT. I can't deal with someone like him.

Ed
Hi,

You uploaded the incorrect file. Upload "fixlog.txt" to the thread with you and Argus.

From the thread in which Argus is assisting you:
If I was supposed to use fixlog.txt
Yes, upload "fixlog.txt" to the thread with you and him.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Awk. I lost the screen on which I was replying!

I was saying that I'm grateful for your help. I figured out that "click FIX no scan" was telling me which option to use when I executed FRST.exe. I did that, and just replied & pasted the log in my reply.

I could not find the end of the dialogue between Argus and me, still can't. When I click on the latest alert it gives me part of the dialogue, but not all the way to the bottom. I eventually found a "reply" box and used that, but I'm not sure it was replying to the latest of his replies. We'll see.

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Well that's downright embarrassing. Thanks.

After last run of FRST I was able to access internet (on the laptop we're trying to clean, as opposed to the old one I'm using to communicate with you and Argus); but I immediately started getting bombed with bogus pop-ups about "security alert" and telling me to update media software, etc. This all started with Obrona, which is still found on my computer when I do a search for it.

I appreciate your hand-holding. I have to persist working with Argus until everything is fixed.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Ed_M1 , and welcome from one member to another.;) Having once found myself in the very same place you find yourself now (having had received assistance for a very frustrating problem on my system over a year ago) my hope is that you can take comfort from the fact that your difficulties will soon be able to be logged into the past.:) Please, be understanding & realize Argus provides all malware removal help to you voluntarily. Allow him a bit of understanding, and by working together your system will surely emerge better than when you arrived.:cool: We hope you'll stay on, & continue to be active with us, learning to practice ways in which you'll be better able to prevent infections like these in the future. Good luck, and may your road rise to meet you!:)

Last edited:

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
Argus is one person? or a team? and does he/they speak English as a second language. He/they don't seem to be able to answer my questions, and all the instructions are in super-short often unintelligible phrases. So far the results of working with him/them is frustration AND my computer is getting worse.

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
ok thanks

Is there a way I can edit my original post and delete it?

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
You'll be OK, ED_M1! I had one of those bad viruses on another computer, and the pop up screens that told me not to proceed,
[QUOTE="Ed_M1, post: 344332, member: 33756"but I immediately started getting bombed with bogus pop-ups about "security alert" and telling me to update media software, etc.[/QUOTE] made the process scary and beyond belief! It is hard to believe, isn't it, that a 'bug' can actually try to defend itself, when it is wrong, bad and ON our computer!!

I finally got through the instructions I was given (not from this site), but understand your feelings: went through that. If I had done it dozens of times, I may have known what to expect, and maybe just a little of what was meant in my instructions!

That was great of kram7750 to assist, in helping to clarify. I put my name here as 'tall order', because if I need any help, it is a tallorder for anybody to get me past my lack of knowledge and experience!!!:confused:

Hang around awhile: you'll be fine and many friends to be made here. Sorry you had to come in with a 'bugger' right out the gate!!:D

Ed_M1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2015
I appreciate the pep talk, Tallorder.
I'm continuing to work with Argus and may be having some results. At least I now know how to run FRST, which he's having me repeat. I've invested a lot of hours over the past 72 hours. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get all the bugs out.

It really is pernicious and malicious the way these bugs work. I don't see how they gain anything by making my computer freeze up.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello and welcome to the community! :)

Regarding to your post, actually the solution provided by Argus is one of the example to be detailed as possible and its easy to understand including the formatting where the term are highlighted as emphasize what's referring though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.