I'm not sure of what product(s) to use for my devices

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Hi guys,
At work and home I currently own 5 PCs and 5 Android Devices.
All PCs have Windows 10 Pro with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender enabled.
All Android devices have Malwarebytes and Google Play Protect enabled.

I'd like to know if this is enough to protect them; I currently use AdBlock on every device and browser, I try to avoid downloading "strange" things. I try to be a good boy.
Do I have to consider using an antivirus solution?
I've seen that, for example, Kaspersky offers a solution for PCs AND Android.

Someone can suggest me what to do? Can I continue with my configuration or is better to change something?
I'd like to own ONE product for all devices, so I choose Malwarebytes and considered Kaspersky.

What if I'll use Kaspersky AND Malwarebytes on PCs? Is Windows Defender enough associated to Malwarebytes?
What about Android devices?

Can you tell me your configurations, so I can understand better what to do?

I'll be glad if someone can answer.

Thanks in advance, guys.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Ok.
Apart from this compatibility issue, is good to have KAV + Malwarebytes? Or Malwarebytes + Windows Defender is enough, according to you?

I'm watching @Correlate videos and I've seen that Malwarebytes 4 is not so great.
EMSISOFT (unknown to me, but I'm a novice) is much better.

Now I'm confused.

Reactions: Nevi

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It's always complicated and no av will always catch everything.
Windows Defender is a good av, but in my opinion it's web filtering is not that great.
That's where Malwarebytes is good at.
So, the combination of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes is a good one.
Of course, there are many other good or great av's out there.
Kaspersky is very good, but personally don't like its web filtering done by inserting a root certificate.
Emsisoft is good with great support and one of the best privacy options.
So, in my opinion it is not necessary to change anything, only if you feel that your current solution is not optimal for you.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
It's always complicated and no av will always catch everything.
Windows Defender is a good av, but in my opinion it's web filtering is not that great.
That's where Malwarebytes is good at.
So, the combination of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes is a good one.
Of course, there are many other good or great av's out there.
Kaspersky is very good, but personally don't like its web filtering done by inserting a root certificate.
Emsisoft is good with great support and one of the best privacy options.
So, in my opinion it is not necessary to change anything, only if you feel that your current solution is not optimal for you.
Thanks!
I've noticed that EMSISOFT has a good offer (5PCs+5Android).
Is this a good replacement for Malwarebytes?

Using EMSISOFT Anti-Malware Home & Mobile can be a possible (good) solution?
I'll let Windows Defender runs on Windows, too, of course.

Sorry for my newbie questions.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I would use Emsisoft alone on Windows and Android, but why pay if you have already Windows Defender and Malwarebytes running?
If you want to try Emsisoft I suggest you use a trial period before buying anything.
Just run it for at least 2 weeks and see if you like it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Emsisoft is an AV so not recommended to run with WD, use one or the other.
+1
You should avoid running two AV programs. Usually it is not a good idea to do that, they step on each other's toes.
But Malwarebytes is not an AV, it is designed to be a companion to your AV. I personally am not a big fan of Malwarebytes, but if you like it, use it. There are more security products and combos than there are flavors in an ice cream store.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
What if I'll use Kaspersky AND Malwarebytes on PCs?
Using Malwarebytes and Kaspersky in real time, I would not advise, Kaspersky does not get along with almost anyone in real time, it is another thing to use it on demand Malwarebytes, excluding one from the other, if you use Kaspersky Internet Security / Total Security. You don't need anything else.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Have you considered a Gryphon Router? I have over 20+ devices at my home (android SONOS etc) here many IOT, although the Gryphon isn't perfect you have some protection via ESET most IOT devices simply do not have - Best buy I've made this this year - It's stopped quite quite a few issues mainly on phones etc, but also on other half's lappy + relatives - Half price version coming out this year? Thread on this site:
MT - Gryphon

Edit:Sadly the Gryphon does not stop relatives visiting, it merely protects the many devices they bring with them :(

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Comes down to opinion on what people think is good. I currently don't have an Android phone only an iPhone X. I use Trend Micro on that.
As for my PC I have got Trend Micro on it, and only use Zemana and Malwarebytes if I need to. I have UAC on high, but again I don't go to any dodgy sites now a days. So the protection I have is quite adequate I think.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Using Malwarebytes and Kaspersky in real time, I would not advise, Kaspersky does not get along with almost anyone in real time, it is another thing to use it on demand Malwarebytes, excluding one from the other, if you use Kaspersky Internet Security / Total Security. You don't need anything else.
Also disabling ransomware module in MWB4 if in real-time...

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Comes down to opinion on what people think is good. I currently don't have an Android phone only an iPhone X. I use Trend Micro on that.
As for my PC I have got Trend Micro on it, and only use Zemana and Malwarebytes if I need to. I have UAC on high, but again I don't go to any dodgy sites now a days. So the protection I have is quite adequate I think.
LOL Mac, i thought Thanos got you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Have you considered a Gryphon Router? I have over 20+ devices at my home (android SONOS etc) here many IOT, although the Gryphon isn't perfect you have some protection via ESET most IOT devices simply do not have - Best buy I've made this this year - It's stopped quite quite a few issues mainly on phones etc, but also on other half's lappy + relatives - Half price version coming out this year? Thread on this site:
MT - Gryphon

Edit:Sadly the Gryphon does not stop relatives visiting, it merely protects the many devices they bring with them :(
I have found the Gryphon router to be a great addition as well, and a lower cost unit is probably going to help expand their business, though the original is a beast of a router. I’m curious how DoH is going to affect their filtering platform now that M$ is planning to implement it at the OS level.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.