Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Adguard Stealth Mode features are working completely independent in Adguard Browser Extension, but even more Stealth Mode features are included into Adguard Desktop for Windows:

View attachment 236191View attachment 236192View attachment 236193
View attachment 236194View attachment 236195View attachment 236196
Thanks, but none important features which would make the desktop client worth it:

X-Client: I use Chromium-Edge so no Chrome
Cache and third-party stuff is already managed by uMatrix
Push- and Location-API can be configured in Edge and also blocking instead of asking the user is bad for comfort and also increase uniqueness
Flash is already disabled by default in Edge
Java isn't naively installed on Windows and should be avoided anyway
Referrer is already managed by uMatrix
hiding user agent doesn't work
modify the IP in HTTP header doesn't work
other settings exist in AdGuard browser extension

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks, but none important features which would make the desktop client worth it:

X-Client: I use Chromium-Edge so no Chrome
Cache and third-party stuff is already managed by uMatrix
Push- and Location-API can be configured in Edge and also blocking instead of asking the user is bad for comfort and also increase uniqueness
Flash is already disabled by default in Edge
Java isn't naively installed on Windows and should be avoided anyway
Referrer is already managed by uMatrix
hiding user agent doesn't work
modify the IP in HTTP header doesn't work
other settings exist in AdGuard browser extension
Your comments are always the same, you just speaking from your point of view, only for your needs isn't worth to use Adguard Desktop, other users may thinking different, so I could even talking about that uMatrix isn't worth using because it's breaking websites, but that is only my user
experience and that isn't the truth to everyone...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I just did a basic resource consumption comparison between Adguard extension and uBlock Origin. Both had same filters and similar settings enabled except uBlock with some additional uBlock specific filters.

uBlock Origin uses less memory than Adguard.

Chromium Edge:
Right after opening the browser: z.png

The Verge(.)com loaded: x.png

The Verge and CNN loaded: c.png

Memory usage is a lot less for both extensions in Firefox.

Right after opening the browser: a.png

The Verge(.)com loaded: s.png

The Verge and CNN loaded: d.png

I can't say about page loading. Testing separately both loads everything fast but monitoring the Energy Impact parameter of Firefox task manager, Adguard seems to use more CPU compared to uBlock Origin.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I just did a basic resource consumption comparison between Adguard extension and uBlock Origin. Both had same filters and similar settings enabled except uBlock with some additional uBlock specific filters.

uBlock Origin uses less memory than Adguard.

Chromium Edge:
Right after opening the browser: View attachment 236365

The Verge(.)com loaded: View attachment 236366

The Verge and CNN loaded: View attachment 236361

Memory usage is a lot less for both extensions in Firefox.

Right after opening the browser: View attachment 236360

The Verge(.)com loaded: View attachment 236363

The Verge and CNN loaded: View attachment 236362

I can't say about page loading. Testing separately both loads everything fast but monitoring the Energy Impact parameter of Firefox task manager, Adguard seems to use more CPU compared to uBlock Origin.
You could always use firemin (which was just updated a few days ago) and then the memory usage for either extension would be void. It keeps the browser memory to below 50 mb and resets is every second! Works awesomely to tame firefox from being a memory hog! And works with other browsers too, Edge Chrome etc. (I personally use the adguard extension and I love it but having problems with just one particular site that causes pop ups that I am trying to figure out.) :(

Reactions: Stopspying

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You could always use firemin (which was just updated a few days ago) and then the memory usage for either extension would be void. It keeps the browser memory to below 50 mb and resets is every second!
This seems quite extreme tbh. I don't have any memory leak problem. I just shared some basic comparison, that's it and both are really good.
just one particular site that causes pop ups that I am trying to figure out.)
What site it is? You can open an issue here about the site you're having trouble with. They are usually very fast at fixing these. 24 hours max.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
This seems quite extreme tbh. I don't have any memory leak problem. I just shared some basic comparison, that's it and both are really good.

What site it is? You can open an issue here about the site you're having trouble with. They are usually very fast at fixing these. 24 hours max.
I did what you said, here is my link! Newser[.]com · Issue #53888 · AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters Thanks again!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Gandalf_The_Grey
Since you use Adguard extension, can you check one thing for me? Go to The Verge
Do you notice any delay in page loading? If not click on an article from the homepage. There should be a certain unnecessary delay for the page to come into view. No go back and there should be another unwanted delay. Repeat this and there's always a delay. Do you have this issue? This only happens with Adguard Extension. No problem with uBlock Origin. I want to make sure if it happens to others before opening an issue on github.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Gandalf_The_Grey
Since you use Adguard extension, can you check one thing for me? Go to The Verge
Do you notice any delay in page loading? If not click on an article from the homepage. There should be a certain unnecessary delay for the page to come into view. No go back and there should be another unwanted delay. Repeat this and there's always a delay. Do you have this issue? This only happens with Adguard Extension. No problem with uBlock Origin. I want to make sure if it happens to others before opening an issue on github.
I notice a slight delay when opening the homepage, but for me personally it wouldn't be an issue.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can it be cookie related?
I have now the "I don’t care about cookies" extension installed.
Much better than the filter or any annoyances list (y)
Edge Tracking Prevention on balanced.
AdGuard extension with Base (English) filter, Tracking Protection filter, Social media filter, Annoyances filter, Dutch filter and use optimized filters ticked. Gives me now 52418 rules.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Can it be cookie related?
I have now the "I don’t care about cookies" extension installed.
Much better than the filter or any annoyances list (y)
Edge Tracking Prevention on balanced.
AdGuard extension with Base (English) filter, Tracking Protection filter, Social media filter, Annoyances filter, Dutch filter and use optimized filters ticked. Gives me now 52418 rules.
Have you checked it on a different browser like Firefox with same extesnions and filters?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.