Indian National Gets 20-Year Jail in United States for Running Scam Call Centers

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
An Indian national on Monday was sentenced to 20 years in prison in the Southern District of Texas for operating and funding India-based call centers that defrauded US victims out of millions of dollars between 2013 and 2016.

Hitesh Madhubhai Patel (aka Hitesh Hinglaj), who hails from the city of Ahmedabad, India, was sentenced in connection with charges of fraud and money laundering.

He was also ordered to pay restitution of $8,970,396 to identified victims of his crimes.

Earlier this January, Patel pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy and general conspiracy to commit identification fraud, access device fraud, money laundering, and impersonation of a federal officer or employee.
Indian National Gets 20-Year Jail in United States for Running Scam Call Centers (thehackernews.com)

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
Sometimes I don't get the long sentencing periods in the United States.
In this case it doesn't bother me at all, considering they raked in millions and likely ruined countless lives while doing it. There's a reason the defendant has restitution for nearly $9 million dollars. That's just what the authorities know about and can prove. It lets aspiring young scammers know what price they might have to pay should they decide to start scamming for fun and profit.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
In this case it doesn't bother me at all, considering they raked in millions and likely ruined countless lives while doing it. There's a reason the defendant has restitution for nearly $9 million dollars. That's just what the authorities know about and can prove. It lets aspiring young scammers know what price they might have to pay should they decide to start scamming for fun and profit.
No i mean in general. I hear reports of 50 years, 100 years, 200 years and even 500+ years in prison. The 2013 Dark Knight screening shooter got 3318 years in prison!

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
No i mean in general. I hear reports of 50 years, 100 years, 200 years and even 500+ years in prison. The 2013 Dark Knight screening shooter got 3318 years in prison!
For cases where sentences are really long, they are generally from multiple charges or cases with sentences for each to run consecutively. For example, the Dark Knight shooter. That was a mass murder that killed 12 people and injured 70 more with 58 or 60 of them directly by gunfire. That defendant had more charges than you could shake a stick at - murder, aggravated assault, you name it. They added up.

Sometimes a defendant will get several life sentences to run consectively. Either way, that's to ensure they remain in prison until they die. If a defendant wins an appeal, for example, and gets a retrial on one case, he still has to serve the rest of them despite the outcome of the retrial. That's usually only done for particularly heinous crimes. Usually a life sentence has a 25-year parole eligibility. At least one state has a Hard 50 sentence, which is a life sentence without eligibility for parole for 50 years. But it's only invoked when one or more aggravating factors exist, and it's not invoked often.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.