Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
source: Insider Preview Update KB4046355 Silently Uninstalls Windows Media Player

After Windows Insiders installed update KB4046355 for the Insider Build 16299.15, they discovered that Windows Media Player had been silently removed from the computer. As Build 16299 is the Fall Creators Update that is scheduled to come out this month, it is unknown whether the removal of Windows Media Player is intentional as part of this large update or a bug.
Insiders not happy with missing Windows Media Player

The only way Insiders realized that Windows Media Player was removed was when they tried to use it to play a video. It was then discovered that Windows Media Player was silently removed after installing the October 3rd 2017 KB4046355 update. This update is called and "FeatureOnDemandMediaPlayer", but does does not provide any information as to what it does.

The only thing we do know, is that after this update was installed, all that was left behind is an empty Windows Media Player folder.

Thankfully, it may be possible to reinstall Windows Media Player
While some people have reported that they were unable to restore Windows Media Player, others have stated that they were able to install the program again using the Apps control panel. To restore Windows Media Player in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, simply follow these steps:

1. Goto Settings.
  2. Click on Apps.
  3. Click on Manage Optional Features.
  4. Click on Add a Feature
  5. Scroll down and you should see Windows Media Player. Left click on it once, so it becomes highlighted and then click on the Install button.
  6. When it has finished installing, you will be able to use Windows Media Player again.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Sooner or later this is going to happen. WMP is basically a deprecated software; it hasn't received more features since Windows 7. Microsoft is going to kill it someday, like it did to WMC and the same will probably happen to Internet Explorer.

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
This actually makes me sad, honestly.. Windows Media Player has always been my "go to" player. This Groove music app really isn't my cup of tea.. I honestly wouldn't mind if they turned it into a Metro App. As long as I don't have to touch Groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.