Install Windows 10 build 1903 or wait more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Did you clean-up/optimize junk files prior to updating your old machines?

Good question. In this case.... yes.

I actually look around for files to delete and then run three different cleaners. And then I run Wise Cleaner "Full Optimization" defragmenter. Is that really better than a standard defragmenter --- I dunno. It takes more time though..

I think it's just an old slow computer. This is what I'm working with on this classic:

But it did in fact update... woohooo. I thought that something might prevent it from working...

Which got me thinking... it would be interesting to know how old that old computer is relative to other 'classics' people here run. I don't think I'd win the "I run the oldest computer at MT" contest. But I might compete well.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it would be interesting to know how old that old computer is relative to other 'classics' people here run. I don't think I'd win the "I run the oldest computer at MT" contest. But I might compete well.

Indeed.

That old computer is the perfect candidate for Hard_Configurator or VoodooShield - maybe with no AV, just a great browser setup.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think it's just an old slow computer. This is what I'm working with on this classic:

View attachment 216703

But it did in fact update... woohooo. I thought that something might prevent it from working...

Which got me thinking... it would be interesting to know how old that old computer is relative to other 'classics' people here run. I don't think I'd win the "I run the oldest computer at MT" contest. But I might compete well.
Actually, that processor is not that slow. My HP 2710p has a Core 2 Duo U7700 processor, which is much slower than yours - but 1903 runs fairly well on it. According to CPU Benchmark, your processor is about 2 and half times faster than mine is.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
That old computer is the perfect candidate for Hard_Configurator or VoodooShield - maybe with no AV, just a great browser setup.

And that's a good point. I don't think about that computer very much, as I don't use it that much. But I probably do have it weighted down with too much AV.

Actually, that processor is not that slow. My HP 2710p has a Core 2 Duo U7700 processor, which is much slower than yours - but 1903 runs fairly well on it. According to CPU Benchmark, your processor is about 2 and half times faster than mine is.

Laughing.... wow, you are a patient man Roger. If mine is twice as fast as yours... I don't know if I'd have enough patience to keep that one.

But... I'm sure you are very good at getting all the horsepower out of that thing that is possible..

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Laughing.... wow, you are a patient man Roger. If mine is twice as fast as yours... I don't know if I'd have enough patience to keep that one.

But... I'm sure you are very good at getting all the horsepower out of that thing that is possible..
Well it's just an old computer that I use from time to time and it is very slow at doing some things. However, on the computer you posted about, Windows 10 should run quite fast, even with an antivirus installed.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Well it's just an old computer that I use from time to time and it is very slow at doing some things. However, on the computer you posted about, Windows 10 should run quite fast, even with an antivirus installed.

Actually, you're right. In general web browsing, that old computer is surprisingly nimble. There is not much difference between that and my new computers for just web browsing -- with nothing else running simultaneously.

But.... for any data-rich activity, it is deathly slow. Just updating Norton can take 3-5 minutes. Updating to 1903 took about 5 hours.... download and then install.

Off-topic Roger question: When a fan runs on a computer too often, what's the best way to figure out what is causing the heat? I think related question.... I have several programs that show me running processes. What is the best program to look at running processes, assess their impact, and stop some of them? I've used a few different things to do this, but I'm thinking you know the best one.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Off-topic Roger question: When a fan runs on a computer too often, what's the best way to figure out what is causing the heat?
If it is a laptop, often heat is caused by a build up a dust between the fan and the cooling vent, which is preventing air flow. Typically this need to clean out every few months. On some laptops, the fan is easily accessible, but on many it's not. If the fan is not easily accessible, I find that the the most effective way to clear the dust is using an air compressor, ideally with a particulate filter, to filter out dust and moisture.

On my HP ProBooks, I use NoteBook FanControl, with custom settings, so that the fan doesn't start running until the computer gets hotter than with the default BIOS fan settings. Also, it could just be excessive CPU use that is causing the fan to run. Task Manager is all you need to have a look at CPU usage and see any process is using a lot of CPU time.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Off-topic Roger question: When a fan runs on a computer too often, what's the best way to figure out what is causing the heat?
1/ Room temperature is higher (it's summer, now)
2/ Problems with drivers (windows 10 creators => nvidia graphics overheating; downgrade = no more overheating)
3/ Faulty background apps constantly consuming CPU
4/ Dirty hardwares, need to be cleaned

Last edited:
L

Local Host

I'm on 1809 with my gaming system and currently I have the opinion to wait for 1903.
more time = more bugs are fixed
If you wait much longer, the next feature update will already be out.

There's not much to fix now, with Microsoft already working on 1909 update (which will be a service pack for 1903).

Seems they took my advice for only one major update for year, the second one being a normal update.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Have you noticed any improvement compared to the previous version?

Good question. And actually.... yes. I think @roger_m is correct that there is a performance benefit to an old computer with the installation of 1903.

I cleaned the computer out thoroughly (three cleaners) and defragmented prior to installing, then loaded 1903, and then cleaned it out and defragmented again.

I don't think I'm imagining it -- it seems that the computer is faster than it's been in many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.