Install Windows 10 build 1903 or wait more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it looks, that yy09 versions are long term supported, basically just yy03 being properly fixed.

... so they can issue the next spring feature release and the circle goes round and round...

@plat1098 I've got the Event Viewer bug and the log-on screen blinks twice on start/restart. That's it. Otherwise, 1903 is the the fastest and most smooth version. I was an early-adopter/beta tester and IMO if it's now offered to a user to update then it should be fine.

Special

Level 1
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
I, personally, would wait a few months before I do a clean install of 1903. Why one should harry and upgrade? Why What do we miss in the current edition? I think nothing is worth to upgrade now. I am using HP 290 G1 MT with Windows 10 Pro 1809 and have no issues at all. I am not sure if my PC is compatible with 1903 update and I have changed updates to "Semi-Annual" channel. Waiting...

100% agree, there is no reason to jump to the latest at this time, there are still lots of open issues without fixes yet, other software like drivers still could use extra time to come out with newer 1903 "ready" support, I don't even know of a single feature that is new and worthy of an ugrade to 1903, so you can uninstall more app??? Big deal, you can already do that with powershell on 1809... 1809 is proven stable at this point, 1903 is still in need of beta testers.

The fact that people here are saying "make sure you have a full system backup with Macrium... before update" just goes to show that Windows 10 is a complete joke....

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I do not use Windows 10, but one thing I learned in Linux, is not to rush into being the first to update, to avoid the mistakes of the beginning.:)
What I learned from win10 is that the upgrade is gambling:cool:. Regardless of timing, success and failure come. Perhaps Microsoft plans to give prizes to successful people.:ROFLMAO:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't even know of a single feature that is new and worthy of an ugrade to 1903
The improved performance is a big plus. As an example, some old computers on which Windows 10 ran slowly with previous builds, run fine with 1903.
The fact that people here are saying "make sure you have a full system backup with Macrium... before update" just goes to show that Windows 10 is a complete joke....
Well it would be very rare that you would need to use the backup. It's just a good precaution and everyone should be backing up their computers anyway.

For the vast majority of users, the upgrade will complete with no issues and will work fine. If there are issues after upgrading, you can rollback to the previous build. I had to do that on one of my computers it only took just about four minutes to rollback and for the old build to boot. If the upgrade fails to install, nothing should get broken. If the upgrade fails before the first reboot, the install will exit and you still have your current build. If the upgrades fails after rebooting, it will rollback to build you were using. There will be exceptions to this, but they will be very rare.

Build 1903 of Windows 10 is such a "joke" that the upgrade completed with no issues on one of my 13 year old laptops and it runs quite fast. On another laptop, which is 12 years old, the performance improvements mean that for the first time, Windows 10 is usable on it.

Last edited:

Special

Level 1
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Build 1903 of Windows 10 is such a "joke" that the upgrade completed with no issues on one of my 13 year old laptops and it runs quite fast. On another laptop, which is 12 years old, the performance improvements mean that for the first time, Windows 10 is usable on it.

Anecdotal and/or placebo, for every story I hear like yours I hear of an opposite one from someone different, there's nothing in 1903 that has performance improvements either, the Redline / Spectre stuff was already pushed to 1809 for example. I also think the people who say they have no issues, are just ignorant to the problems they don't see, I'm not blaming them or anything, not everyone checks Event Viewer or uses the Task Manager which was mega bugged when 1809 launched, but even then people were claiming "things working 100% fine" on their ends, etc.

Anyways, I work with audio and there's a huge DPC Latency problem with 1903 right now that many others experience also, so 1903 is a no go for me until this issue is fixed, not that I expect the average person to work with audio to notice, or to check these kinds of things with Latency Mon. So yeah 1903 has bugs.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Anecdotal and/or placebo, for every story I hear like yours I hear of an opposite one from someone different, there's nothing in 1903 that has performance improvements either, the Redline / Spectre stuff was already pushed to 1809 for example.
Build 1903 works flawlessly for me and it does seem faster. I've noticed a big improvement in performance on some very low end computers. On a high end computer, you may not notice much difference. But, I don't have any high end computers. I'm certainly not the only person who is posting about increased performance.
I also think the people who say they have no issues, are just ignorant to the problems they don't see, I'm not blaming them or anything, not everyone checks Event Viewer or uses the Task Manager which was mega bugged when 1809 launched, but even then people were claiming "things working 100% fine" on their ends, etc.
Build 1903 is working fine for me. Maybe there are some errors showing in Even Viewer. That's something I will never know, as I never open it. If my computer was having issues, it's not something that I would generally look at anyway. I only care about problems that are noticeable.

My computer runs fast, is stable and I can go for weeks without rebooting, even with using it for 90+ hours a week. With that in mind, why on earth would I care if there are some issues showing in Event Viewer?
Anyways, I work with audio and there's a huge DPC Latency problem with 1903 right now that many others experience also, so 1903 is a no go for me until this issue is fixed, not that I expect the average person to work with audio to notice, or to check these kinds of things with Latency Mon. So yeah 1903 has bugs.
The audio on my computers sounds fine and that's all that matters to me. I only run Latency Mon or something similar, when I can actually hear audio problems. Two of my old laptops had latency issues with any build of Windows 8 or 10. I fixed this, by replacing the Intel WiFi cards.

Even when working with audio, DPC latency is not something I check, unless I can hear problems with the audio.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
not everyone checks Event Viewer
Even on "stable" versions of Windows, there is usually something going wrong and getting logged in Event Viewer. But most of the time it doesn't matter. Windows will notify you if it can't do something that it considers important, and if your applications are failing, you will see that yourself. A good way to drive yourself crazy over nothing is to check Event Viewer all the time and worry about it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows will notify you if it can't do something that it considers important, and if your applications are failing, you will see that yourself.
I have noticed an interesting thing, I have error reporting disabled, yet when some software crashed, it simply did not start, WerFault.exe quietly ran in the background. After I removed WerFault.exe, I got the error popup, so I knew, what to look for, otherwise it would be just recorded in the log.

A good way to drive yourself crazy over nothing is to check Event Viewer all the time and worry about it.
I had that problem, so I fixed it my way, now I can not even look. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• capture_06162019_104051.jpg
    capture_06162019_104051.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 476
L

Local Host

Anecdotal and/or placebo, for every story I hear like yours I hear of an opposite one from someone different, there's nothing in 1903 that has performance improvements either, the Redline / Spectre stuff was already pushed to 1809 for example. I also think the people who say they have no issues, are just ignorant to the problems they don't see, I'm not blaming them or anything, not everyone checks Event Viewer or uses the Task Manager which was mega bugged when 1809 launched, but even then people were claiming "things working 100% fine" on their ends, etc.

Why would people go online to claim everything is working correctly?

Not to mention there's been in fact performance improvements as well, especially on Ryzen CPUs, as Microsoft finally fixed the scheduler.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Does the new version got a feature you really need/want? If yes give it a try (working offline backup required)
If no better wait, they are still getting bugs fixed just saw windows 10 "black screen bug" problems one hour ago on a german site.
I'm in no mood to test a OS, I want it in stable condition.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I also think the people who say they have no issues, are just ignorant to the problems they don't see, I'm not blaming them or anything, not everyone checks Event Viewer or uses the Task Manager which was mega bugged when 1809 launched, but even then people were claiming "things working 100% fine" on their ends, etc.

Some people don't have glaring issues with 1903 or a "mega bugged" Task Manager and their computers are used for extended times under multiple circumstances. Sorry that your experience is different. :(

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Build 1903 works flawlessly for me and it does seem faster. I've noticed a big improvement in performance on some very low end computers. On a high end computer, you may not notice much difference. But, I don't have any high end computers. I'm certainly not the only person who is posting about increased performance.

Build 1903 is working fine for me. Maybe there are some errors showing in Even Viewer. That's something I will never know, as I never open it. If my computer was having issues, it's not something that I would generally look at anyway. I only care about problems that are noticeable.

I never throw away computers... so I've ended up with quite a few.

I've used various methods to delay the 1903 update on all of them.

But I started updating this morning.

On my newer faster computers, it was fast smooth and easy.... so far. Surprisingly so.

On my older computers, it is taking FOREVER.

Even though I don't use them much anymore... I'm hoping for the performance improvement in my older computers that you refer to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.