Install Windows 10 build 1903 or wait more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hello everybody,
As you see below my windows 10 build 1903 are ready to be installed

it was delayed as i postponed it for 30 day untill it became stable enough but i am worried as it was having issues with intel driver.
So the question now is to install it now or it will cause a conflict and miss with my laptop ?
I had an backp untill know using AOMEI backkuper but still worry about installing. what is your opinion ?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
First I made a backup with Macrium. Then dowloaded the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. The first installation blocked at 56%;I disabled my antivirus and Comodo and tried a new installation and everyhing went fine.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I waited a while but installed the update earlier this week and haven't had any problems since. I did see a warning to remove any USB drives or SD cards before the update or some problems may be encountered. I hadn't tried it before so I have no way of confirming that warning, but to be safe I disconnected my external USB HDD and the update completed without any incidents. I should also mention that I run F-Secure SAFE and didn't have to disable it.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The absolute safest way is to wait till it's offered automatically (thus compatible with your system) or till is declared ready for business deployment :
You can change this setting to Semi-Annual Channel (the new name for what was previously known as Current Branch for Business, as shown here. That defers feature updates until Microsoft declares them "ready for business deployment."
From: Windows 10 update version 1903: Act fast to delay this big upgrade | ZDNet
But for me 1903 is running just fine.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
The absolute safest way is to wait till it's offered automatically (thus compatible with your system) or till is declared ready for business deployment :

From: Windows 10 update version 1903: Act fast to delay this big upgrade | ZDNet
But for me 1903 is running just fine.
"This deferral process is available only on PCs running business and education editions, such as Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education. Windows 10 Home does not offer any deferral options."

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
"This deferral process is available only on PCs running business and education editions, such as Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education. Windows 10 Home does not offer any deferral options."
Correct, but as long as it's not offered automatically you can wait and there are tools to block this (not recommended nor researched by me).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If 1809 doesn't break, no reason to change now
Windows updates have tendency to break even older versions, so it does not matter that much. 1903 fixed crashing apps and etc, so it is improving.

L

Local Host

Correct, but as long as it's not offered automatically you can wait and there are tools to block this (not recommended nor researched by me).
What are you guys trying to block though, Windows 10 Feature Updates are not pushed on your PCs unless you're using unsupported builds (which are supported for 16 months).

Same goes for OP claiming it delayed the update for a month, I can't see how he delayed an update that isn't even automatic.

As for the topic in hand, Windows 10 1903 caused me no issues so far, most of the issues have already been mitigated and fixed, just make sure you're not using outdated software.

Disabling security software is also a good idea, especially if you're using the usual ones that cause problems (Avast cof...).

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
In my opinion as long as you have a system image backed up on an external drive you should always install updates when they are offered automatically. A fresh install is my prefered method, but, if someone chooses to upgrade I would definitely advise uninstalling you chosen third party security software using the uninstall tools offered by the vendors themselves. Updating to a new OS build with third party security software still running normally definitely leaves people open to update failures and bugs, possible compatibility issues etc.

1903 is running great here for me.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Just stumbled upon this, it looks, that yy09 versions are long term supported, basically just yy03 being properly fixed.
The key to Goettl's take was the 2018 announcement that each year's second feature upgrade, the one designated yy09 would be supported for 30 months, not the usual 18, on Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education. The 30-month support cycle was a major concession to large Windows customers, who had criticized the constant upgrading of the operating system. The 30-month support made it easy for enterprises to skip a feature upgrade by adopting every other refresh. That practice, however, demanded that corporate IT staffs stick with the fall feature upgrades.

"Microsoft has put an emphasis on the fall release as being the longer-lived branch each year," Goettl said, noting the 30 months of support. "To focus on this branch being the 'stable branch' each year, it would make sense to focus much of the new major feature changes in the yy03 release each year and vet them in that branch."

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Softpedia doesn't state why Event Viewer is problematic for those who installed KB4053293 on 6/11/2019. Doesn't say this is universal as I can access all areas of Event Viewer, including Custom View, without crashes or problems. I had Start Menu freeze once, restarted and it hasn't come back. That's it for 1903 problems to date, using the Upgrade Assistant.

I'd say: if your current OS is free of major errors/warnings and your hardware is compatible and in good shape, go for it. :cool: Most big antivirus should be fully compatible with 1903 by now, right? Maybe doublecheck first.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I, personally, would wait a few months before I do a clean install of 1903. Why one should harry and upgrade? Why What do we miss in the current edition? I think nothing is worth to upgrade now. I am using HP 290 G1 MT with Windows 10 Pro 1809 and have no issues at all. I am not sure if my PC is compatible with 1903 update and I have changed updates to "Semi-Annual" channel. Waiting...

L

Local Host

Just stumbled upon this, it looks, that yy09 versions are long term supported, basically just yy03 being properly fixed.

This, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.