Intel announces 7th generation 'Kaby Lake' processors

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Intel has taken the wraps off the 7th generation of Core processors. Called internally as 'Kaby Lake', the new processors are based on Intel's 14nm (or 14nm+) architecture and are a refined version of last year's 'Skylake' series.

The buzzword this year for Intel is 4K, with the company having geared the processors for 4K media consumption and creation. If you're a desktop user and are wondering what's the big deal about 4K encode/decoding then it's worth noting that these new chipsets are primarily aimed at notebook and all-in-one computers, that often come without dedicated GPU and can get all the help they can need for high resolution media processing.

According to Intel, the 7th generation processors are more than 70% faster CPU performance and 3.5x faster 3D graphics performance than a 5-year old PC. Compared to the previous generation Skylake, Kaby Lake provides 12% faster productivity performance and 19% faster web performance. Inclusion of HEVC 10-bit and VP9 decode help improve 4K UHD content playback. Intel claims 15% faster times for creating and editing 4K UHD files.

You can catch the news here:(7th Gen Intel Core | Intel Newsroom)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

Each time, I wonder if I will change my proc, and each time, I end keeping it (I "m referring to general versions).
=> Intel : a proc change => motherboard to change....

(I'm still with my old i7 980 Extreme version, for years, and will probably change it, when "caput")

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
This looks like just a mobile versions????
Yes, It will be available on notebook and all-in-one computers.
And next year, a new Desktop version will appear (I don't know the name)

Reactions: Logethica

exCode

Level 3
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Great, just as my new Skylake came in, a new processor gets announced. Whatever, considering I got a 6600k I can overclock it for max performance >:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.