Intel announces new Core i9-9900KS ahead of Computex

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Before it takes the stage at Computex 2019, Intel has announced a special edition of its unlocked Core i9 desktop processor.

What you need to know
  • Core i9-9900KS making its debut at Computex
  • Intel's first 8-core processor to run at 5GHz on all cores.
  • Ice Lake 10nm platform to debut on May 28.
Intel is scheduled to deliver a keynote at Computex 2019 out in Taipei in a couple of days on May 28, but that hasn't stopped the company making its first announcement well clear of the news cycle.

The new Core i9-9900KS is a special edition of Intel's flagship 8-core processor targeted at gamers, and is also it's first to run at 5GHz on all cores.

Beyond "shipping this year" there's not a lot else to know about the 9900KS right now, but presumably further details will flow from the press conference in Taipei.

It's not Intel's biggest announcement of the week, though. The same press conference is scheduled to be the first reveal of Intel's first 10nm platform, codenamed "Ice Lake."

Intel is already touting the integrated GPU power that comes along with Ice Lake, with it's Gen11 graphics engine incorporating variable rate shading and double performance on titles such as CS:GO and Rainbow Six: Siege.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I think this would run very hot with all cores opened. Many who own the 9900k version delid it and set it up with water-cooling, which can easily add hundreds of USD and up for a custom job. For deep- pocket enthusiasts with a knack for RGB. :) I'm inclined to listen to these experts at Steam more than some marketing teaser. Many of them own the 9900k already.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think this would run very hot with all cores opened. Many who own the 9900k version delid it and set it up with water-cooling, which can easily add hundreds of USD and up for a custom job. For deep- pocket enthusiasts with a knack for RGB. :) I'm inclined to listen to these experts at Steam more than some marketing teaser. Many of them own the 9900k already.

look at this signature he's running 9900K on 5GHz for few days after getting it. He is using Z170HM chipset that had 6700K-9900K on same board w/ just BIOS fixes.

• Wow
Reactions: plat

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What do you guys say about "the integrated GPU power that comes along with Ice Lake" -- for a work machine? Maybe it will improve virtual machine rendering? If not, what will?
I currently have i-5 6500, with integrated graphics, and sometimes I have graphical errors when rendering virtual machines.

Reactions: plat

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
What do you guys say about "the integrated GPU power that comes along with Ice Lake" -- for a work machine? Maybe it will improve virtual machine rendering? If not, what will?
I currently have i-5 6500, with integrated graphics, and sometimes I have graphical errors when rendering virtual machines.
Maybe you need to increase the VRAM allocated from 1GB to 3GB.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Maybe you need to increase the VRAM allocated from 1GB to 3GB.
I run a XP virtual machine with 1.6 gb RAM allocated to it. That's more than enough, isn't it? It runs as fast as a devil.

Reactions: bribon77

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Another extreme high-end variant---in a pre-built creation it seems. Only 18, 700 USD. Get yours today while supplies last!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.