Intel investigating breach after 20GB of internal documents leak online

redsworn

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
US chipmaker Intel is investigating a security breach after earlier today 20 GB of internal documents, with some marked "confidential" or "restricted secret," were uploaded online on file-sharing site MEGA.

The data was published by Till Kottmann, a Swiss software engineer, who said he received the files from an anonymous hacker who claimed to have breached Intel earlier this year.

Kottmann received the Intel leaks because he manages a very popular Telegram channel where he regularly publishes data that accidentally leaked online from major tech companies through misconfigured Git repositories, cloud servers, and online web portals.

None of the leaked files contain sensitive data about Intel customers or employees, based on ZDNet's review. However, the question remains to what else the alleged hacker had access to before stealing and releasing Intel's confidential files.

redsworn

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I have the feeling that this could be internal person went rogue instead of an actual breach. Because otherwise some of the details are just sound baffling. Like how the hacker claimed they acquired the materials from unsecured Akamai CDN. And to top it off, I've also read from Till Kottmann's tweet that Intel only use "Companyname123" as password to protect some of the archived materials. :ROFLMAO:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I have the feeling that this could be internal person went rogue instead of an actual breach. Because otherwise some of the details are just sound baffling. Like how the hacker claimed they acquired the materials from unsecured Akamai CDN. And to top it off, I've also read from Till Kottmann's tweet that Intel only use "Companyname123" as password to protect some of the archived materials. :ROFLMAO:
Hacker's feel less cool saying 'social engineering' or leak.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.