Intel Processors Hit by New Vulnerability Called Lazy FP State Restore

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Intel processors have been hit by yet another vulnerability, this time dubbed Lazy FP state restore, and patches are already in the works.

Details about the vulnerability are scarce, as they should be, but as Marius Nestor pointed out in a recent report, Red Hat is already working on a patch. And they were willing to share a little bit more information about the problem.

Lately, it seems that Intel simply can’t catch a break, and the vulnerabilities are piling on and on. To be fair, the fault lies with Intel and not with the people who discover them. There is some good news if that’s even possible. The vulnerability seems to only affect Intel processor and not AMD.

Patches incoming

Unlike Spectre and Meltdown, this latest problem is not a hardware issue, which means that it can be fixed with patches in the operating system. As I said before, Red Hat is already working on a fix, and it’s very likely that it’s going to be patched at the Linux kernel level as well.
Of course, Microsoft and Apple are not much behind with their own solutions and will release patches as soon as possible.

Read more: Intel Processors Hit by New Vulnerability Called Lazy FP State Restore

Last edited by a moderator:

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
Wow, more CPU patches incoming, I said it before and I'll say it again.... Everything in the modern PC is hackable from the top-down. Part of that is because as humans we create flawed products, but also because a ton of governments, intelligence, and law enforcement entities usually try to incorporate flaws, backdoors, or some type of access to make their job's easier, makes the hacker's life easier, and the only person to suffer is the poor unsuspecting user who has to trust these entities has his/her best interest at heart, and they don't get screwed over

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I wonder why these vulnerabilities started getting discovered only recently.

Because the cat is out of the bag.. Israel has disguised their backdoors since the 1990's after taking over R&D for intel. Now since everyone is casting a suspicious eye toward Intel and a lot of guys in that field of expertise are now incredibly concerned.. Hence, probably uncovering more and more things.

For me. I sent Intel out of my life. I sold a half dozen newer Thinkpads and replaced them with ARM Based Chromebooks. My desktops are Ryzen's. I won't touch Intel again after they've demonstrated total negligence and at worse, complacency with intelligence backdoors.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Wow, more CPU patches incoming, I said it before and I'll say it again.... Everything in the modern PC is hackable from the top-down. Part of that is because as humans we create flawed products, but also because a ton of governments, intelligence, and law enforcement entities usually try to incorporate flaws, backdoors, or some type of access to make their job's easier, makes the hacker's life easier, and the only person to suffer is the poor unsuspecting user who has to trust these entities has his/her best interest at heart, and they don't get screwed over

Good analogy about modern computer technology, You just said us the unbreakable and purest truth.. . Today it is necessary to democratize the public's opinions above the elitist control but unfortunately we live in a world of secrets and blindness, in a governmental and marketing order, the one powerfullman who has better control of information technologically speaking will dominate the world and the brain of all living beings. it is often because of our own cynicism about not believing in conspiracies against the people, about always trusting in the wrong entities and everything they offer us to control ourselves in a pen.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I'm glad I have AMD now.

counting that everything is made for the common benefit of the human consumer with total controls and the support of consumer regulatory free organizations., we hopefully AMD is not in the same plan than intel, henceforth the microentrepreneur do should ask for transparence at buying of techno infrastructure.. it is a very long struggle, since it is not a single company that composes the assembled hardware, according to the peripherals that compose all the hardware, this struggle for privacy and control can be difficult but not infalibe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.